Author Topic: LEL - Picking up drop bags on Friday  (Read 5804 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
LEL - Picking up drop bags on Friday
« on: 13 June, 2009, 11:23:43 am »
If this ride goes to plan I will be long gone by the time the drop bags return on Friday. I should have thought of this sooner. It had not occurred to me that this would happen.

I was wondering if I put a label on my two bags that identifies my name and a nominated collector would this be OK? Or will the left bags be kept for later collection?

I plan to have clothing and food and energy drinks in the drop bags so they will not be that large.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LEL

Re: Picking up drop bags on Friday
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2009, 05:02:02 pm »
If you nominate someone else to collect them and have their  name identified on the bags and they can prove who they are, no problem with them collecting. - if they have a description of your bags and your rider number

Any bags left  will be taken back to my home in Leeds and you can collect from there -or pay postage.

Any bags, lost property not claimed within one month of LEL will be disposed of.

And no, I am not washing any  laundry left in bags.

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »
Are the drop bags returned to Lee Valley after the closure of all controls, or are they returned after the closure of the control they are located at?

thanks  :)
I was wondering that, I suppose the van will makes it's way south picking up bags as it goes so I'd expect it to head for Lee Valley once Gamlingay has closed.  I have not checked but Gamlingay probably closes at about midnight so bags may be back by Friday morning

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2009, 10:57:18 pm »

I plan to have clothing and food and energy drinks in the drop bags so they will not be that large.

If you have a bag drop at Coxwold...don't leave Chocolate in your bag... :demon:

No, I am not that mean!  O:-)
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2009, 12:25:16 pm »
Just to add to my previous post, I would like to think that bags would bag by the time Lee Valley control closes. Most people will be heading for home on Friday and therefore would expect their bags to be back for them. In 2005 my bag was back to Thorne, where I finished before I was though it didn't have as far to travel as it does in 2009. What was it like for London starters in 2005 for the bags dropped in Dalkeith ?

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2009, 10:33:12 pm »
Have you been scanning my mind...

Said to the wife today so I have 3rd party proof...

"What if I posted my bag contents back?"

;D

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2009, 10:35:13 pm »
I just plan on riding slowly and having my drop bags there waiting for me when I roll in.

Getting them home from Lee Valley is a different matter.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2009, 12:31:03 pm »
had a thought (dangerous):
pack my drop bag with a self addressed bag with the correct postage on it, then after using my drop bag put it into my self addressed and postage paid bag to be posted after its return to Lee valley. Would that be ok?

This sounds like a good idea. They do those tough plastic bags at my local postoffice. Just need to be organised enough to do this on the Saturday before the ride.

Sorted.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

red marley

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »
I am a little concerned about this. I realise I am in no position to make demands of volunteers and apologies if I have misunderstood what is going on, but...

Surely there are going to be several hundred riders who will get back to Cheshunt with more than a few hours to spare. Are we really saying that if they have a bag drop (and that is likely to be most people), they all have to wait around without food or sleeping space for the hours (or days!) until the bags come back after all controls have closed?

Perhaps a less chaotic solution would be for riders who visit controls where they have a bag drop to move them from a 'going out' to 'coming back' room and that bags in the 'coming back' room are shuttled back to Cheshunt before the control has closed for the last riders. I realise this would involve extra bag transport trips, but even two  instead of one might save a hundred or so riders a long long wait at the end of LEL.

Again, apologies if this is sounding pushy - the effort of the volunteers is very much appreciated.

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2009, 06:43:58 pm »
Dalkeith is just over half way (thanks to the outbound dogleg). Lets say 720km.

At 12kph that's 60 hours. So it should shut 60 hours on from 2pm Sunday. That's 2am on Wednesday. Plus a few hours to account for staggered starts and anyone who has a legitimate problem that delayed them (hopefully not given the limited circumstances these extensions are handed out).

That means the bags from Dalkeith could, theoretically, be back in Cheshunt on Wednesday afternoon, assuming there's are driver(s) and van available at this time.

Thorne (at ~1100km) would closes 91h40m after Sunday 2pm. Thursday 9.40am. Give or take a few hours, and driver/van availability, the bags could be back in Cheshunt on Thursday afternoon.

I'm pretty sure it was only possible to add an extra bag drop at 3 of the middle controls. A bag drop at Gamlingay doesn't really make much sense given that it's so close to the finish. Anyone remember where you can add bag drops?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2009, 08:45:48 pm »
Last times the bags were back before I finished (~100 hours).  I think they left Hovingham when it closed and were back in plenty of time.  I guess with more bag-drops things get more complicated.

LEL

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »
Bags at Dalkeith will trundle their way back when Dalkeith closes.

Bags at the bag drops will trundle their way back at the close of the last bag drop control (thorne)

When they get there is entirely up to the drivers.  They may drive slow, they may take the busy roads, they may hit traffic.  however, all bags will be back at Lee valley at the close of Lee valley control.

Tom

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »
Sorry to re-open this thread, but I just want to make sure I don't end up losing my drop bag if I make it back to Lee Valley some time in advance of it. 

Melita, assuming I pack a prepaid postage bag (as has been suggested elsewhere on this thread) in my drop bag and, having finished with the bag, seal it inside this postage bag, would you be willing to chuck it in to a post office at some stage following closure of Lee Valley? 

(This of course all presupposes that I don't die on my arse on some bleak northern moor and crawl in several hours after Lee Valley has closed.)

Thanks a lot.

LEL

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »
Sorry to re-open this thread, but I just want to make sure I don't end up losing my drop bag if I make it back to Lee Valley some time in advance of it.  

Melita, assuming I pack a prepaid postage bag (as has been suggested elsewhere on this thread) in my drop bag and, having finished with the bag, seal it inside this postage bag, would you be willing to chuck it in to a post office at some stage following closure of Lee Valley?  

(This of course all presupposes that I don't die on my arse on some bleak northern moor and crawl in several hours after Lee Valley has closed.)

Thanks a lot.
Just make sure you weigh your bag and have adequate postage on it and I will put it in the post for you but it may not be til I get back to leeds - ie posted saturday

And this offer is limited to car space.

Tom

« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
Great stuff. Thanks Melita.

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

On a related topic: Where is the default bag drop? 

I can't find the information on the LEL site or on my registration form. Obviously depending on where it is depends on what I put in my bag.

red marley

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »
Dalkeith (see 'Questions for the organiser').

« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:50:51 am »
Hovingham was so good last time as you saw your bags twice saved carrying too many spare clothes.  Better get some packing done soon :)

« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2009, 08:20:39 am »
Coming down to pick up drop bag from LV today after DNFing, what's the latest to leave it to pick up

TIA

Craig

red marley

« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2009, 08:29:36 am »
I will be doing the same (too tired to cycle back home fully laden yesterday). I asked a helper at Cheshunt yesterday and they weren't sure, but said at least until 2pm, although they didn't sound very certain to me.  Given the last riders aren't due in until 1:30pm (including the 2 hour extension), I would hope it would be some time later than this. Perhaps others have more reliable information.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2009, 05:26:44 pm »
Coming down to pick up drop bag from LV today after DNFing, what's the latest to leave it to pick up

TIA

Craig

Today is fine, all day.
Bags should also be available all day tomorrow (Saturday), according to staff at YHA.

NB Train strike means no trains from L'poo St to Cheshunt today.

Re: LEL - Picking up drop bags on Friday
« Reply #21 on: 02 August, 2009, 04:27:16 pm »
Anybody got an idea where the uncollected drop bags that were returned at Lea Valley YH ended up.

I asked for mine to be picked up by the organiser.

However, it does not appear to be in Leeds  ::-)

Can anyone help me find out where it has ended up?

Will it still be at Lea Valley??

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 02 August, 2009, 07:54:26 pm »
Anybody got an idea where the uncollected drop bags that were returned at Lea Valley YH ended up.

I asked for mine to be picked up by the organiser.

However, it does not appear to be in Leeds  ::-)

Can anyone help me find out where it has ended up?

Will it still be at Lea Valley??

Oh dear!
Mel was supposed to take all abandoned luggage back up North.
LV baggage was only 'safe' there until midday Saturday.
Suggest you phone Lee Valley and maybe Mel..

« Reply #23 on: 02 August, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »
It's at Lea Valley >:( >:(