Author Topic: Dartford-Greenwich route  (Read 1921 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Dartford-Greenwich route
« on: 13 July, 2021, 12:30:11 pm »
Need some advice on tweaking my route from Whitstable to Central London, please. Most of it is fine:
• The first section as far as the Medway towns I'm happy with.
• From Rochester to Dartford is easy - just follow the excellent cycle path that runs alongside the A2.
• I'm also a fan of Q1 from Greenwich to Lambeth, and from there I can easily pick up CS3 over Westminster Bridge for the last leg to the office.

It's the bit from Dartford to Greenwich I need help with. In the past, I've ridden the main road in the other direction many times (over Shooters Hill and through Bexleyheath). I'm happy to try it in the London-bound direction as well, but:
a) would prefer a quieter, more bike-friendly route, if possible.
b) would also prefer to avoid the climb from Welling (I think turning off towards Eltham might be the best bet for that)
c) and it needs to be reasonably direct - which rules out CR1 along the river.

Any thoughts?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Dartford-Greenwich route
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2021, 03:39:23 pm »
From Dartford I would go to Bexley village (where the station is) then Blackfen, Eltham, Lee Green. That route is bypassed by the A2 throughout so it's not that busy even in rush hours.

From Lee Green you can either go up to Greenwich Park and pick up Q1, or go into Lewisham and pick up Q1 in Deptford, or even the Old Kent Road isn't too bad.

The Yorkshire Grey roundabout is busy but not too fast - if you're confident it should be OK.

If you're not wedded to the A2 cyclepath, then from Rochester I would branch off through Cobham, Longfield, Wilmington, Bexley then as above. There are no ridiculous hills but the A2 route is probably flatter than this.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2021, 04:19:15 pm »
From Dartford I would go to Bexley village (where the station is) then Blackfen, Eltham, Lee Green. That route is bypassed by the A2 throughout so it's not that busy even in rush hours.

Thanks, I think you've nailed it. Just had a look on the map and I think that looks ideal. :thumbsup:

The Yorkshire Grey roundabout is busy but not too fast - if you're confident it should be OK.

That might be a sticking point - I've done it a few times and didn't much like it.

But you've just reminded me of the cut-through at Well Hall that we used on the ACH 200 last week - takes you nicely around it and through Kidbrooke to Blackheath.  :thumbsup:

If you're not wedded to the A2 cyclepath, then from Rochester I would branch off through Cobham, Longfield, Wilmington, Bexley then as above. There are no ridiculous hills but the A2 route is probably flatter than this.

Mmmm. I know that route and I would probably go that way for a leisure ride, but for commuting purposes, I like the A2 path - fast and functional.

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2021, 04:43:17 pm »
<Map warrioring mode enaged>. A2 cyclepath - A296 Watling St looks decent. If I were leisure riding through the area I'd use the Dartford Crossing service for sheer novelty value. Although if there's a traffic jam, that takes longer, but there are no signs prohibting you cycling down onto the A282 itself from that approach  :o The main problem may be the fumes if it's a jam...  :demon:

Then you'd have to get to East Ham to pick up CS3, the A1306 looks like it might be a good option.

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if despite the crossing, sticking to CS3 worked out as making better progress than Q1.

But I'm a non-londoner using maps and street view, so the most I can suggest is investigating the option, and you are reliant on something other than your own two wheels.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:17:12 pm »
Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if despite the crossing, sticking to CS3 worked out as making better progress than Q1.

I think going north of the river adds a fair bit of distance, so is unlikely to be quicker for that reason alone. If I did want to come in from that side, I would probably opt for either of the Woolwich or Gravesend-Tilbury ferries rather than the Dartford crossing.

Following Watling St (through Bexleyheath and Welling) is undoubtedly the quickest, most direct route, but Q1 is surprisingly quick - it benefits from being on back roads with little traffic, and the "cycle path" is not segregated except for a few cut-throughs. On CS3, you're as likely to get stuck behind other cyclists, more so the closer you get to the City.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2021, 07:55:21 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33171686 <-- This is my Saturday morning route. The northerly bit is what I normally ride from Dartford to Greenwich. There is one place where you have to drag the bike over the pavement for a bit (start of Church Hill), and one where you basically have to over a small central reservation (end of Lyndhurst Road). There are a couple of up and downs but it's not bad and reasonably quiet. Watling Street (the southern bit) is doable but I find Shooters Hill annoying East to West as traffic can't pass you that easily.

hth.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2021, 10:55:22 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33171686 <-- This is my Saturday morning route. The northerly bit is what I normally ride from Dartford to Greenwich. There is one place where you have to drag the bike over the pavement for a bit (start of Church Hill), and one where you basically have to over a small central reservation (end of Lyndhurst Road). There are a couple of up and downs but it's not bad and reasonably quiet. Watling Street (the southern bit) is doable but I find Shooters Hill annoying East to West as traffic can't pass you that easily.

hth.

Thanks, that's really useful.  :thumbsup: