Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404074 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2100 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:40:14 pm »
For over a year my work laptop has refuse to open Excel files on first click - threw some weird error - but once Excel was open would open the file on the second try. Months ago I spent ages hunting down a solution, tried registry fixes and all sorts with no result.
All of a sudden its fixed itself magically.
I hate Windows. When it works its fine but trying to fix it when something goes wrong is a nightmare.

It's the way it goes from working to not-working (or, to be fair, vice-versa) without any warning that gets me.

This is why I continue to use Linux.  Until Microsoft work out how to make an OS that stays working until you mess with it, Windows won't be ready for the desktop.

« Reply #2101 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:51:20 pm »
For over a year my work laptop has refuse to open Excel files on first click - threw some weird error - but once Excel was open would open the file on the second try. Months ago I spent ages hunting down a solution, tried registry fixes and all sorts with no result.
All of a sudden its fixed itself magically.
I hate Windows. When it works its fine but trying to fix it when something goes wrong is a nightmare.

It's the way it goes from working to not-working (or, to be fair, vice-versa) without any warning that gets me.

This is why I continue to use Linux.  Until Microsoft work out how to make an OS that stays working until you mess with it, Windows won't be ready for the desktop.

Me too. Have to use Windows for work though but it runs as a VM on Ubuntu LTS.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #2102 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:58:00 pm »
I don't miss registry hacks and those sorts of fun larks.

Which minds me, I have a parental laptop to fix, after two hours and trying to instruct them to change the boot order in the BIOS, I gave up and told them to get my niece to post it to me. NO, NO, DON'T USE THE MOUSE, IT WON'T WORK. F9, TRY NEXT TO F10. DID YOU PRESS ENTER? JUST TELL WHAT YOU SEE ON SCREEN. HOLD ON, YOU'RE IN WINDOWS NOW, WHEN DID I SAY CLICK EXIT? NO, NO, DON'T PRESS 'Y' TO EXIT WITHOUT SAVING...

I may just nuke the lot. I have to somehow crack the administrator password, get in and figure out precise what they've done. As far as the garbled story goes, someone from Microsoft called and they diligently followed his instructions. Honestly, they never do what I bloody tell them.

Plus there's the danger of a browser filled with 'mature' smut. Top tip dad, don't make it your homepage.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2103 on: 13 July, 2020, 04:59:23 pm »
Quote from: pcolbeck
I hate Windows. ... it ... is a nightmare.
Don't mention it, glad to be of service. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2104 on: 13 July, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »
Junior's win10 laptop all of a sudden could not connect to my home WiFi ( WPA-Enterprise with Radius server).

Just a stupid 'Windows cannot connect to this network', with no useful explanation of what the problem was.
Re-start windows. Nothing.

Bit of googling brings up posts from over a year ago about TLS 1.2, but it's not that.

'Forget this network'.
Reboot.
Connect to it as a fresh unknown network -> straight in!

Profile must have gotten corrupted somehow, I suppose.
But the lack of diagnostic information is a PITA.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2105 on: 22 July, 2020, 06:10:05 pm »
  • It worked
  • You "improved" it
  • It doesn't work any more
Yes, you, SCS Software.  I do not want your manky default lorries with horrid wheels lugging my spiffy signwritten trailers, thank you.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #2106 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:13:31 pm »
OK, I admit defeat trying to crack a Windows password. I'm too old to be a hacker. It's all over. I'm stuck in the Matrix. Better steak.

Dearest parents, are there any files on this computer you need? Don't know.

Sigh. Boot it up with Xubuntu live USB, copy across anything that looks like data onto the NAS.

Next reinstall Windows 10. I'm going to need booze for that, aren't I?

Feanor

« Reply #2107 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:31:31 pm »
To minimise data loss:

Remove the hard drive, place it aside.
Install a new hard drive, do a clean install.
Connect the old drive ( stick it in a USB caddy, or whatever ) and pick over the bones of the dead carcass for whatever meat may be found at leisure.

And, yes. booze will be required.

ian

« Reply #2108 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:42:27 pm »
I copied anything that looked like files (the user and documents & settings folders). Then I found something called the Windows Recovery Experience (or something like that). I bashed the RESET button. Everything? EVERYTHING?

Dust off. Nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Are you sure?

Yes. Yessity yes yes yes.

It's now 'resetting this PC 1%' It's been that way for a while. Possibly it's erasing the universe. We'll all wake up in the morning with no knowledge of who we are and where our pants went.

I'll go and make dinner.

« Reply #2109 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:52:06 pm »
If you can access the disk from Linux you can simply overwrite and reset the Windows password, you don't need to crack the hash.

Feanor

« Reply #2110 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:32:12 pm »
Then I found something called the Windows Recovery Experience (or something like that). I bashed the RESET button.

Oh dear.

Well, when that experiment has failed, really nuke from orbit with a clean install.
With no Experience required.

Seriously, Mrs Robinson might know a thing or two, but I doubt it's about re-installing windows.

ian

« Reply #2111 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:17:40 am »
If you can access the disk from Linux you can simply overwrite and reset the Windows password, you don't need to crack the hash.

Ah, well, I didn't stumble across that option. That said, I was several hours late to password cracking party that featured a top billed performance by 'this doesn't work on Windows 10.'

God, as OS go, it's a mess. It's like every version of Windows has been crashed together in some kind of crushing machine.

« Reply #2112 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:26:46 am »
Maybe too late now, but UBCD would have been your friend. It is a linux distro bootable image ISO (that is, you download a genuine image, burn it to CD or USB where it becomes bootable)

When you start it up, Windows password recovery (by overwrite) is a matter of pressing a couple of buttons.

ian

« Reply #2113 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:30:45 am »
Why are you all telling me this now, this morning, in the pall of the reset fallout? You didn't need to drop the bomb, gentle persuasion would have worked.

Honestly, it's probably riddled with malware and god-doesn't-want-to-know-what, so nuclear was likely the easiest option. I copied the files anyway (it seems encryption isn't the default on Windows yet), on the off-chance, but even if they do have important stuff they've probably forgotten it. Along with all the passwords. That's going to be my next challenge, what are the passwords to x. Odds are they won't know any of them or I'll have to go through endless line of 'is that a big C or a little C?' My father did write some random words down on pieces of paper, but no notion of what they might apply to. Oh, and he only writes IN CAPITALS.

I'm still unclear what the 'Microsoft Man' on the phone got them to do, or whether it was a simple failed attempt by my father to reset his password.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2114 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:44:27 am »
The "Microsoft" droid who got Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) a few years ago was installing some kind of malware which required a reboot to complete.  When the system came back up, it was asking for a password.  Since said machine had never had a password it was effectively bricked.  Having already spent the previous Christmas reinstalling Windows on his laptop after a similar incident I was in no mood to repeat the exercise on an even slower and more primitive device.  I explained that if he wanted a desktop PC that was fine; he could buy one and I would install it for him, but any further malware incursions from "Windows Technical Support" would result in him having to buy another new one.  He decided he didn't need a desktop machine after all.

Just had a phone call here at Fort Larrington.  "This is a call from AM-AH-ZONN concer..." >>> CLICK <<< 

ian

« Reply #2115 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:08:07 am »
He somehow got from a password to a PIN, I'm not sure how, since he can't explain it. But he didn't know the PIN and whatever his password was, it wasn't any longer. That also seemed to applied to the Microsoft account and thus any obvious pathway to reset the bloody thing was closed off.

They can't really explain or understand computers. This one was originally set up, I assume, by PC World, but I think they let my sister's boyfriend the Mad Meat Man* lose on it at some point, and he knows less about technology than they do.

Anyway, I'm now admin. My mother has already relieved my father of any means on online purchase since he'll give his card number to anyone who asks. He's always been credulous, forever wandering home with obviously stolen stuff that someone had given or sold to him down the pub. No, no, he said it weren't stolen, he's not like that. Ah, so you bought it off the bloke who's just out of prison then after his most recent of several spells for nicking stuff then. Welcome to my childhood. He once bought home an entire pig (see the footnote).

*he brings my parents big bags of meat, for which they love him, I suspect, far more than me.

simonp

« Reply #2116 on: 29 July, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »
(int)std::ceil((float)some_value / 8 )

Where is my clue bat.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2117 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:08:21 pm »
Skype.

That is all.

ian

« Reply #2118 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:22:57 am »
Sometimes I just like to pretend that I live in a world where Skype doesn't and never existed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2119 on: 01 August, 2020, 11:40:21 am »
“Look, see!” said one of the Babbage-Engines last night.  “I wish to update iTunes!”.

“Make it so!”

[Time passes]

“Oh.  I cannot update iTunes, because I cannot access C:\Program Files\iTunes!”

“It was alright before you started dicking around with it.  I know this because I was using it to listen to musical tunes.”

“Yeah but no but yeah but, look, I'll roll back the install and every little t'ing gonna be alright, innit!”

[MOAR time passes]

“The security on C:\Program Files\iTunes is irreparably b0rked, you anbaric dunderheid!  Now I have to use Microsith's System Restore to get back to where I was forty minutes ago.”

[Yet MOAR time passes]

“Right.  Every Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia product except Airport has been nuked from orbit, their directories removed and the drive sectors ploughed with salt.  I shall download a fresh install of all the required FruitCo Product and all will be well.  Won't it?”

“What are you doing?  You cannot download iTunes, nor iCloud, from here!  Even though this is the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia web shite and they are FruitCo Product.  No, go via the Microsith Store, bucket of wank for people who cannot tell their Ethernet from their ear'ole though it undoubtedly be!”

[Even yet MOAR time passes]

Hurrah!  I haz a iThings!
Bah!  What are the odds I'm going to have to go through the same farce on two more Babbage-Engines?  FruitCo, how I hate thee!

Sent from my iPad

ian

« Reply #2120 on: 03 August, 2020, 07:17:53 pm »
Whoo, what's that Windows, set up remote desktop? By golly, that would be a fantastic idea. Let's do it.

Your Home edition of Windows 10 doesn't support Remote Desktop.

After 25 years, they're still doing this piecemeal shit. You want to use this computer as anything other than a office fan, I'm afraid you'll need to update to Windows Millenium Visto Pro Home 64 Edition.

The say Linux isn't ready for the Desktop. Another 25 years and Windows might be ready too.

Feanor

« Reply #2121 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:58:18 pm »
They are stuck at how to differentiate between 'home' and 'business' versions, so they have all kind of arbitrary nonsense like this.

Just download Teamviewer on his machine.

On their machine, install the Teamviewer Host version. This is the lightweight version that can only be connected onto, ie for the lame users to be supported.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/#:~:text=TeamViewer%20Host%20is%20used%20for,number%20of%20computers%20and%20devices.

Despite how the installation UI appears you do NOT need to create a TeamViewer account for him, there's a wee link to continue without setting up an account.
It's not obvious!
It will generate a connection name, and you make up a password.

On your end, install full teamviewer ( free personal use version ) and connect to their machine using the connection name and password you set up.

ian

« Reply #2122 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:15:08 pm »
Yeah, Teamview is what I used last time (once I found a version that didn't require any installation), I just thought the built-in remote desktop might be an obvious solution until it wasn't. Having been brainwashed by the Appleverse, you just expect features to be there.

I remember the good old days of XP Home and Pro. XP Home mostly seemed to exist purely to tell you needed XP Pro.

« Reply #2123 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:44:54 pm »
Windows 10.

It used to be possible to sign out then put the computer in sleep mode. As in your partner is going to use the PC but not immediately.  You now can’t do that so have to log back in then put it in sleep mode. Then when partner comes to shut it down complains someone else  is still logged in. Rubbish part of the update.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2124 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:23:44 pm »
There is supposed to be a “wrapper” (sic) that you can install on Win 10 Home to make Remote Desktop work.  It has one minor drawback, viz. it doesn’t.