Author Topic: Wireless doorbell  (Read 3115 times)

Re: Wireless doorbell
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2021, 02:28:37 pm »
We have a wireless doorbell, it's called a dog.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 06 September, 2021, 02:39:29 pm »

Our neighbours have one of those.  So I often know there's a courier approaching before the doorbell/knock sensor goes.  I'm also made aware if someone's knocking at any of half a dozen nearby houses, if the neighbours come home or go out, if someone's parking a car outside, if someone puts their bins out, if someone's doing building work, if a pedestrian goes by, or if the dog needs emptying or has been caught chewing something inappropriate.

Barakta, meanwhile (when her hearing aid is in the right mode), is aware that our neighbours have a dog.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2021, 02:54:46 pm »
I have just fixed ours with the judicious use of araldite.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2021, 03:30:53 pm »
Dog knock knock joke:

Dog 1: Knock knock
Dog 2: Woof woof woof woof bark bark woof woof bark bark bark woof woof woof

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #29 on: 06 September, 2021, 03:37:37 pm »
We have a Ring (Mr R loves all things geeky).  It does work well and the 'Chime' can be heard over a significant area - and can be moved around the house.
Do you mean that with motion detection it could work as an indoor security camera?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:24:02 pm »
I failed to specify I wanted a dumb wireless doorbell. Anyway hopefully Amazon will bring us a Byron one later, if they can attract our attention.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:24:59 pm »
Just stop answering the door. Nothing good comes of it.

What about pizza? (Can't make my own just now due to shit oven).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:26:51 pm »
Ah yes, we're regularly serenaded by the dulcet tones of Rod Hull and his menagerie of drama students (and the neighbour's dog, see above), alerting us to the arrival of a scooterboy bearing Someone Else's Pizza.  No Really.  Have you tried round the corner?  Or $nearby_road_that_also_starts_with_'A'?

How do people manage to get this so wrong when they're all glued to smartphones?  It's not like there's anything complicated[1] about our address...

[1] Unless it's addressed to the GP in sufficiently girly handwriting.  We do occasionally get confidential medical data.  Or massive shipments of stationery.

« Reply #33 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:49:10 pm »
We have a Ring (Mr R loves all things geeky).  It does work well and the 'Chime' can be heard over a significant area - and can be moved around the house.

You can prepare for whoever is at the door before you open it.  Like the yank whose door was about to become the entry point for a home invasion.  All he had to do was grab the arsenal and open fire as soon as the door was kicked in.  End of home invasion.  Otherwise he might have thought it was just his pizza delivery.  Lucky it wasn't, really.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:38:12 pm »
We have a bell. It goes bong. Hopefully it will do so at the required moments. Thanks all.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:49:24 pm »
Ah yes, we're regularly serenaded by the dulcet tones of Rod Hull and his menagerie of drama students (and the neighbour's dog, see above), alerting us to the arrival of a scooterboy bearing Someone Else's Pizza.  No Really.  Have you tried round the corner?  Or $nearby_road_that_also_starts_with_'A'?

How do people manage to get this so wrong when they're all glued to smartphones?  It's not like there's anything complicated about our address...

That's not wrong.  Wrong is the guy who was convinced he was in El Paso rather than Phoenix as his phone was telling him and as was confirmed by me and the hotel receptionist.  Only 1100 miles off course.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #36 on: 06 September, 2021, 07:12:01 pm »
Just stop answering the door. Nothing good comes of it.

What about pizza? (Can't make my own just now due to shit oven).

I would hear them drive or scooter up the driveway, plus the path to the porch leads them past the front window.

That said, we rarely have take-out food, the last time we got pizza the guy parked on the hill and forgot to properly engage his handbrake. Oh the drama – the car ended up on top of one of our drive-end bollards and basically the entire south London population of Sri Lankan pizza delivery drivers turned up to get it off – at 1 am when I had to be up at 6 am for a flight. It wasn't worth the free pizza. Randomly, and quite pleasantly, they repainted the bollard when we weren't looking.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 06 September, 2021, 07:20:38 pm »

How do people manage to get this so wrong when they're all glued to smartphones?  It's not like there's anything complicated about our address...

That's not wrong.  Wrong is the guy who was convinced he was in El Paso rather than Phoenix as his phone was telling him and as was confirmed by me and the hotel receptionist.  Only 1100 miles off course.

That'd be a fairly cold pizza.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 06 September, 2021, 10:40:29 pm »
It was about 40 deg. C outside at the time, so it'd still be lukewarm :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime