Author Topic: Advice on chainrings  (Read 1996 times)

Advice on chainrings
« on: 16 February, 2009, 03:23:43 am »
I had a bit of a problem a while back with a dodgy grinding coming from my drivechain. A new chain seemed to sort the problem but unfortunately this last week it's returned. I just can't figure out what's causing it. Once adjusted it all runs fine for a few miles until I start leg braking then it goes all noisy and rough. Chainline is spot on, tension is good and the nuts are properly tightened and it doesn't seem to be slipping. Even replaced the BB in case that was the cause, but unfortunately not.

Anyway, the current chainring (FSA Vero) seems to be made of cheese and even after only 300-400 miles is looking a bit worse for wear and was wondering if this could be causing the horrible grindy noise/feeling? It certainly seems to be coming from the front end rather than the sprocket, and the new chain doesn't seem to have worn at all.

Any ideas on a fairly cheap replacement chainring? 46 tooth, 130pcd, 3/32, in black if possible.

gordon taylor

Re: Advice on chainrings
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2009, 07:43:19 am »
I've got one of these, from SJS cycles. It has lasted well and has the advantage of being reversible, so I turned it round after 2000 miles.

Thorn 130mm 5arm reversible SINGLE ring - Black 3/

iakobski

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:30:08 am »
I've got one of these, from SJS cycles. It has lasted well and has the advantage of being reversible, so I turned it round after 2000 miles.

Thorn 130mm 5arm reversible SINGLE ring - Black 3/

Is there a zero missing in that number? I'd expect 15-20,000 miles out of a chainring.

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:31:13 am »
As with most things, there is the choice between cheap (say under £25) and replace frequently, and more costly and replace less often.

The main wear factor in my view is how clean the whole setup is. The oil/grit mix that wet weather and winter produce is an excellent grinding paste. That's why rings used on the velodrome seemingly last for ever.

I would suggest that you check your chainline; the noise when leg braking could be a sign that the line is not exactly straight.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »
hubjub.co.uk do surly steel ones for £30 or so, IIRC
Don't think they're black, tho

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »
I've found that the dirtier and more worn the chain is, the worse the noise.  A clean chain is fairly quiet.

If the noise persists, it might be the rear hub bearings.  You'd probably feel that, though, since even I could feel that things weren't running smoothly, and I'm not terribly sensitive to minor differences in bike setup.

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2009, 12:25:14 am »
Thanks for the help/suggestions. I'm confident the chainline is spot on, and the chain is always spotless. Definitely not the hubs either.

Gordy, cheers. That Thorn one looks just the ticket.  :thumbsup: