Author Topic: 1 1/8 chain tools / what to do in a chain emergency?  (Read 2765 times)

1 1/8 chain tools / what to do in a chain emergency?
« on: 12 November, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »
Riding home last night, I realised my multi-tool chain tool probably wasn't 1 1/8 compatible. Do people lug about 1 1/8 compatible chain tools, or do the chains just not break like narrower chains do? Do people carry about spare links (guessing there is no power link equivalent)?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: 1 1/8 chain tools / what to do in a chain emergency?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »
I would expect many ordinary bog standard chain tools to be 1 1/8" compatible.  Check yours.  You don't have to actually do anything to the chain to check.  Just see if the chain fits in.

This Topeak product and all Topeak tools with heads like this (example*) are 1 1/8" compatible.  I've just checked mine.

* All of 65 grams to lug around.

Carry a few spare chain links.  I remember using an old-fashioned equivalent of a Powerlink for 1 1/8" chain yonks ago, but, er, meh.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »
+1.  I've never worried about it and it's always seemed to work with any chain tool I've used.

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:15:25 am »
My chain tool is a bit old and will do 1/8", I also carry a short section of chain, half a dozen links, in my saddle bag.

iakobski

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:36:15 am »
Riding home last night, I realised my multi-tool chain tool probably wasn't 1 1/8 compatible. Do people lug about 1 1/8 compatible chain tools, or do the chains just not break like narrower chains do? Do people carry about spare links (guessing there is no power link equivalent)?

Anything mechanical can break, maybe less likely than lighter chains but it still happens. I'm of the "regular new chain" school rather than "run everything into the ground" and I broke a quality 1/8" chain earlier this year.

The wipperman chains come with the old-style easy-fit links and SRAM PC-1s have something similar but a bit fiddly - but really there's no need, these chains are not preened (if that's the correct term) so are fine to join with a chain tool.

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2011, 10:04:41 am »
KMC do spare links for their K510, one of the bend-pull single use type, but another with a circlip re-useable type.

robbo6

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »
Don't worry about it. The old lore going back to the days of 1/8" chain being almost universal is that a frame is more likely to break than a chain. I don't carry a spare link, remover or any other such chain paraphernalia. People who insist on flexing their chains from side to side may disagree.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »
Don't worry about it. The old lore going back to the days of 1/8" chain being almost universal is that a frame is more likely to break than a chain. I don't carry a spare link, remover or any other such chain paraphernalia. People who insist on flexing their chains from side to side may disagree.

The other bit of the old lore is that there is no point carrying a chain tool if you're not also carrying spare links. DAMHIK.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:37:54 pm »
I've never had a chain break.  Ever.  It took years of development to get to a position in about the 70s where the common problem of chain breakage was pretty much overcome.  All was well until some damnfool decided he wanted to spend all day changing gears, and needed a narrower chain to do it.  Thus we are back to a position where you can pay a lot for a chain which may snap under tension, or use a cheaper one and not have those oh so essential extra three sprockets.
Getting there...