Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 6th  (Read 5151 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
[HAMR] Jan 6th
« on: 06 January, 2015, 05:30:28 am »
It's 05:22:27 AM (GMT) on 6th Jan, and Steve's Spot tracker just fired up after a 10 hour rest.
Morning Steve! I'm off to bed now, but looking forward to seeing how far you've traveled by the time I awake.

Re: Jan 6th
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:22:37 am »
Good early start again.  Puts me to shame when I somehow always miss my forecast start time on DIY's.   Steve must have 'faffage' down to a minimum.

Watching how he's going, not the tracker, does become addictive.  Has today's route be chosen due to prevailing weather?
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:39:01 am »
Has today's route be chosen due to prevailing weather?

It would make sense to do that.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:42:41 am »
He's currently heading north and, according to the BBC weather site, there's a southerly wind.

Later the BBC predict the wind will veer to a westerly, so he hopefully won't have a headwind on the way back.

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:49:43 am »
Based on his average moving speed and his start time Steve will have passed the 1000 mile mark by now. Way to go Steve!

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:50:22 am »
Good early start again.  Puts me to shame when I somehow always miss my forecast start time on DIY's.   Steve must have 'faffage' down to a minimum.
Watching how he's going, not the tracker, does become addictive.  Has today's route be chosen due to prevailing weather?
Was thinking that yesterday looking through his (very full!) calendar for the year. Surely going to be difficult to be quite so efficient when he's staying round someone else's and doesn't know where everything is etc?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:06:18 am »
His first overnight stay is with HK and I this weekend. He's stayed here before, so effectively a soft start for later overnight stays. HK is aiming to ride in with Steve while I get the meal ready.

His clothes will be washed and dried overnight but we've got a spare pair of his knicks here anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:19:35 am »
Looks like a good day weather-wise out there today, and although there's a bit of rain about in the next few days, the forecast is predicting 13dg by the weekend.
Garry Broad

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:50:22 am »
Looks like a good day weather-wise out there today, and although there's a bit of rain about in the next few days, the forecast is predicting 13dg by the weekend.

---and VERY windy though  ::-) for a couple days it looks

Just seeing these continual early starts by Steve is amazing, one thing maybe in summer but in winter too  :o Fantastic determination
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:42:10 am »
The host locations on his calendar are "" provisional"" not definitive. So they can be changed on anything such as -- how does he feel , where does he want to go , what weather is forecast, or just I fancy going back to them , they were great .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:49:12 am »
Was thinking that yesterday looking through his (very full!) calendar for the year. Surely going to be difficult to be quite so efficient when he's staying round someone else's and doesn't know where everything is etc?

That is the whole point of the hosting, Steve will not need to know where anything is, he will be waited on hand and foot like the "Royalty" that he is!

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
I'm hosting Steve in 2 weeks time. Already feeling the pressure of making sure everything runs smoothly!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:58:35 am »
It looks as though he is intent on having 11ses in Spalding. About 75 miles done so far today, by my reckoning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
Has Steve got any rest days at all built into his programme?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

red marley

« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:12:04 am »

rob

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:56:27 am »
Tweeted to say he's having lunch in Frankie & Bennies at Spalding.   Celebrating the first 1000 miles.

« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »
1000 miles in less than 6 days, in January, astonishing.The guy is unbelievable.
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »

Also, unlike high end outputs like a grand tour or similar, Steve is consistently doing low output riding so rest days would be of a lot less value.

« Reply #18 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »
Looks like it's raining on Steve at the moment but it should stop very soon.

« Reply #19 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »

Also, unlike high end outputs like a grand tour or similar, Steve is consistently doing low output riding so rest days would be of a lot less value.

For a very high level of low, that is!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »

No,  it really is quite low!

A lower pulse than I ride very long events at - and probably a power similar to my PBP-type ride average. (We're similar size, otherwise I wouldn't even attempt a comparison. And we've done long stints together on the road.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »
Wonder if he has stopped in the cafe at Kimbolton, not sure how often the tracker updates. It's been a long afternoon without Tea  :)

« Reply #22 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »
Looks like he had a 45 minute café stop and now he's off again.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #23 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:20:07 pm »

No,  it really is quite low!

A lower pulse than I ride very long events at - and probably a power similar to my PBP-type ride average. (We're similar size, otherwise I wouldn't even attempt a comparison. And we've done long stints together on the road.)

Right, low level, but mind bogglingly large volume of effort. I'd love to be privie to his TSS / freshness chart on strava. I'd expect coggan / friel etc would find the data interesting too when all's done.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:22:47 pm »
Steve isn't doping enough to interest at least one of that group.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...