Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 10th  (Read 14155 times)

[HAMR] Jan 10th
« on: 10 January, 2015, 02:19:34 am »
Aww fucckit.

Two bottles of red wine and I won't be awake for when Steve starts day 10 so I thought I'd get my post in now.

:sick:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Re: Jan 10th
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2015, 06:26:58 am »
Aww fucckit.

Two bottles of red wine and I won't be awake for when Steve starts day 10 so I thought I'd get my post in now.

Don`t think that`s allowed a pre-set off day post  :o :o

But having checked now seems Steve was off at 6:10 am,  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2015, 06:27:22 am »
Looks like Steve had a lie in this morning.  6.10am start.  If the wind is howling around Milton Keynes as much as it is around CET Towers then that's not a surprise.  Fingers crossed that he can make the best of it today.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2015, 07:14:32 am »
It's windy here in Somerset too. Just having coffee before going out. I struggled to get up.  :-[ How does he do it?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:09:58 am »
Aww fucckit.

No,  definitely outside the Spirit Of The Rules - the stewards have conferred, and have awarded today's hounours to you, James. Good work.

Better luck tomorrow, Wobbles old chap.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:17:07 am »
Current speed 8mph and battling in a westerly direction. He needs something to slipstream him - that must be incredibly tough today :o
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:18:12 am »
You're all simply jealous that you didn't think of it first.

Anyway, back to Steve.

HOLYCRAPITSWINDYOUTTHERE!!!

I mean it's seriously windy out there. Steve had better be careful.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:24:24 am »
Current speed 8mph and battling in a westerly direction. He needs something to slipstream him - that must be incredibly tough today :o
Yes - today would be a good day for Team MK Elliptigo to just happen to head west on a training ride.

I think if I found myself on any sheltered flattish road,  I'd just ride up and down it for 150 miles today!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:26:18 am »
Yep, that is foul out there.
Good luck today Steve and keep safe.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:32:33 am »
I reckon today is a day for discretion and valour. That's why I am going to the Essex Silly Celebration Christmas Meal by car.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:37:49 am »
Aww fucckit.

No,  definitely outside the Spirit Of The Rules - the stewards have conferred, and have awarded today's hounours to you, James. Good work.

Beaten by seconds  :demon:   Days like today Steve needs to live in an area with more trees - those Buckinghamshire roads tend to be much more open than my Hampshire ones.  Still seems to be averaging 11mph.  Respect.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:42:20 am »
Looks like Steve had a lie in this morning.  6.10am start.  If the wind is howling around Milton Keynes as much as it is around CET Towers then that's not a surprise.  Fingers crossed that he can make the best of it today.

If you click on the weather icons closest to his position you can see a 26mph south westerly. He needs to head NE for the day and hole up in a B&B overnight ;)

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:13:51 am »
Aww fucckit.

Thank you stewards  :thumbsup:

Some better weather heading SE soon, heavy rain and very mild has eased and sun has now come out and temp dropped by 6c since 7 am, but still windy
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:24:40 am »

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:34:45 am »
Quite windy up north today too:-

'Recent gust of 110 MPH at the tunnel mouth and there are heavy snowshowers coming through now. Snowsports and the Mountain Railway will not open today. If the forecasts are correct, it does not look promising for us to be able to offer any snowsports for the next few days.'
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
Which bit of "up north" is that, Nethypete? In this part of effete dahnsarf it is a balmy 13 degrees. It is a bit breezy though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:44:48 am »
Which bit of "up north" is that, Nethypete? In this part of effete dahnsarf it is a balmy 13 degrees. It is a bit breezy though.

The lumpy bit between Perth and Inverness known as the Cairngorms National Park.....may be a wee while before TG ventures this far north.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:45:25 am »
Quite windy up north today too:-

'Recent gust of 110 MPH at the tunnel mouth and there are heavy snowshowers coming through now. Snowsports and the Mountain Railway will not open today. If the forecasts are correct, it does not look promising for us to be able to offer any snowsports for the next few days.'

We had a quiet night, it only reached 75mph gusts   ;D

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:51:43 am »
I was going to nip out for a quick 50 miler, but 60mph gusts in the flatlands? Bollox to that m91.

'Tis one of those days when you pass a gap in a hedge and find yourself on the wrong side of the road  :hand:.

Take care out there, Steve.

---------------
1Like m8, but better. TM fboab's #1Son

« Reply #19 on: 10 January, 2015, 10:04:55 am »
Thinking of Steve - looks like 50mph gusts and rain atm.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #20 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:44:56 am »
Windy over here, I'll say. The flag poles are flying horizontally. Take care Steve.

Anyhow, The big news appears to be that the The Race IS ON! Tarzan in underway, currently heading south along Florida's eastern seaboard, at a brisk 21 MPH.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #21 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:48:43 am »
Looks like Steve is doing a cross-wind ovoid track. It should minimise the time he is actually riding INTO the wind.

Its days like today when a support camper van would be useful, just ride where the wind takes you and sleep in the camper, and repeat each day the wind stays strong.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:59:30 am »
Windy over here, I'll say. The flag poles are flying horizontally. Take care Steve.

Anyhow, The big news appears to be that the The Race IS ON! Tarzan in underway, currently heading south along Florida's eastern seaboard, at a brisk 21 MPH.

2mph winds in North Palm Beach. But I can't imagine Miami being condusive to long steady miles.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »
Its days like today when a support camper van would be useful, just ride where the wind takes you and sleep in the camper, and repeat each day the wind stays strong.
I understand the theory,  but in practice I think there'd be very little advantage - the North Sea limits how many days he can keep riding East. Look how close that is to MK! Our winds are dominated by SWerlies.

He'd need a lift _into_ the wind from a support vehicle to make significant gains. And as I think was posted earlier in the week, I suspect Steve is going for the purist approach. Although its not required by the rules, i'll be pleased and impressed if he sticks with that.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »
Teethgrinder's response to someone asking what his fuel is-

"Cake, all day breakfasts, KFC, fish and chips. Go with what you crave. Sweet stuff only works upto about 120 miles."