Author Topic: [HAMR] Things we have to cope with  (Read 8668 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Things we have to cope with
« on: 15 January, 2015, 09:06:28 am »
Internal to team e-mail

Some bloody idiot flagged one of Steve's rides on Strava as having been done in a car. I logged into his account and removed the flag by contesting it which Strava have accepted. I told Drew exactly what had happened.

This might happen a lot and there is nothing we can do. Any Strava user can flag one of Steve's rides and I suspect some of the Tommy Godwin fans will continue to do this.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Things we have to cope with
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:08:56 am »
Annoying as that may be - surely the validation is more sophisticated than believing what any joe can do to a Strava fileā€¦?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:11:30 am »
There is the near real time tracking and matching Steve's heart rate with speed and gradient.

The best proof I can think of is to get out there and take photos of Steve riding past or to ride with him for a time and save your own tracks to Strava. Post those details publicly and it becomes very hard to throw doubt on Steve's tracks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:18:22 am »
My suggestion would be if it happens again -- Strava change their system - so that a query can be raised with them to review the complaint  - and not make the "flagging" public straight away, which caused an immediate query from UMCA.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:48:39 am »
A Tommy Godwin Fan? More likely to be some posey strava oik who can't comprehend riding more than 30 miles in a day in the latest team kit on a carbon bling steed?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:05:38 am »
Of course the conspiracy theorists will claim it's our American cousins trying to invalidate Steve's ride to help Tarzan or IronOx.

I would like to believe that this isn't the case and it is just some idiot playing games.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:05:58 am »
Internal to team e-mail

Some bloody idiot flagged one of Steve's rides on Strava as having been done in a car. I logged into his account and removed the flag by contesting it which Strava have accepted. I told Drew exactly what had happened.

This might happen a lot and there is nothing we can do. Any Strava user can flag one of Steve's rides and I suspect some of the Tommy Godwin fans will continue to do this.

How totally sad that someone is being so petty, (vindictive ? )  to do that. Steve is undertaking an heroic attempt, weather is being difficult, day after day 5 or 6 am starts ---WHY should anyone try to sabotage his efforts so pettily. I despair sometimes  >:(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:22:22 am »
Internal to team e-mail

How totally sad that someone is being so petty, (vindictive ? )  to do that. Steve is undertaking an heroic attempt, weather is being difficult, day after day 5 or 6 am starts ---WHY should anyone try to sabotage his efforts so pettily. I despair sometimes  >:(

I read a strava comment on one of his first rides about how he must be doping or something.  Theres some pretty dim strava users out there.
I cant think its a Tommy fan either. They'll respect this.  If strava accept a contested flag, is there any downside for the prick who flagged it ?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:36:05 am »
Does that explain why strava only showed 2 rides this week when I logged in earlier (now back to 3)?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:44:46 am »
Yes

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:54:48 am »
More likely to be some posey strava oik who can't comprehend riding more than 30 miles in a day in the latest team kit on a carbon bling steed?
I think this is most likely.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:56:21 am »
Steve has taken a few KOMs over the last fortnight - I'd hope it wasn't someone so petty but I could believe it.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:59:18 am »
Given Steve's generally low heart rate, you could see why some folk might be surprised.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:02:04 am »
A Tommy Godwin Fan? More likely to be some posey strava oik who can't comprehend riding more than 30 miles in a day in the latest team kit on a carbon bling steed?

This....

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:04:15 am »
Internal to team e-mail

I read a strava comment on one of his first rides about how he must be doping or something.  Theres some pretty dim strava users out there.
I cant think its a Tommy fan either. They'll respect this.  If strava accept a contested flag, is there any downside for the prick who flagged it ?

Not to start a forum war but, have you looked at some of the posts on the Cyclechat thread?  Tommy is god, nobody will ever beat him, anyone who tries is a loser and is going to fail!!! is not too unfair a paraphrase.

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:25:26 am »
Strewth, even Tommy's family have wished Steve good luck.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:26:12 am »
What a contrast with the beautiful tradition (ongoing) of support for such attempts from previous holders and their families.

« Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:27:55 am »
And, ongoing thanks and congrats to the people doing the "coping"!

« Reply #18 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:29:04 am »
Not to start a forum war but, have you looked at some of the posts on the Cyclechat thread?  Tommy is god, nobody will ever beat him, anyone who tries is a loser and is going to fail!!! is not too unfair a paraphrase.

Hadnt seen anything but positive support for Steve, but only really look here and in the C.weekly. THats surprising and disappointing in equal measures. (LW&B posted somethign the other day about support for Steve from USA where they have their own guy trying, which increased my thoughts that everyone is in support of Steve)

rob

« Reply #19 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:32:57 am »
One comment on the TT forum was along the lines of 'we could all do it if we have the time but I prefer to spend time with my family'.   Guy tried to defend himself but was shot down.   The rest are busy debating his Max HR, FTP and CTL numbers.

red marley

« Reply #20 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:35:20 am »
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people with warm support and respect for Steve, Kurt, William and all the previous record holders*. This is an overwhelmingly positive event. Let's not give a couple of grouchers any more attention than they deserve.

* For example, have you seen this wonderful interview with Billie Fleming?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:38:37 am »
One comment on the TT forum was along the lines of 'we could all do it if we have the time but I prefer to spend time with my family'.   Guy tried to defend himself but was shot down.   The rest are busy debating his Max HR, FTP and CTL numbers.

There will always be knockers.  Interesting to know if the knocker had (a) ever ridden 180 miles in a day in January (I haven't) and (b) ridden 180 miles the day after they have ridden 180 miles (I have, but not in January weather).  But perhaps the general good nature of this forum is why I remain here.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #22 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:53:40 am »
Internal to team e-mail

And to be fair, it's a very small minority. There are a lot of CC members who are very supportive of Steve and have shot down the 1 or 2 members who feel the need to knock Steve and his attempt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:54:14 am »
(X-Post with Ian)

The couple of knockers over on Cyclechat got shunted off into a split thread, but basically revolved around people saying that he must be making up for being a failure in other ways (family, job) to be taking it on, and the refusal to believe that this sort of milage can ever be done at all, by anyone including Tommy Godwin.

They are a tiny minority though and at least two of them I would normally count as trolls most of the time anyway. The vast majority are very supportive and they were shot down pretty robustly.

Though I suppose if you are looking at opinions, I score 'no' on both of CET's tests as well so make of that what you will.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #24 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:55:56 am »
Of course the conspiracy theorists will claim it's our American cousins trying to invalidate Steve's ride to help Tarzan or IronOx.

I would like to believe that this isn't the case and it is just some idiot playing games.

Or someone trying to operate Strava over a mobile phone  :-\

H