Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 25th  (Read 6109 times)

[HAMR] Jan 25th
« on: 25 January, 2015, 02:25:30 am »
Ok, Steve's bike has been checked over and most of the road skog removed.
Wheels and tyres examined and both good. Rattling rear mudguard re-secured, transmission cleaned up and chain lubed.
Brake discs and pads in good order.
Lights charged and fitted, drinks bottles washed, sterilised and refilled.

Re: Jan 25th
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:54:16 am »
Steve is on his way once again.
He is awash with tea and coffee.
He breakfasted on Weetabix followed by a plate of last nights pasta bake.
He is heading north up to Spalding and his favourite cafe at Holbeach before turnigpng back South and heading for home.
He is in good spirits but will be glad when the weather warms up so he doesn't have to take so long getting all the layers on.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:24:32 am »
Good job Loadsabikes.  Can see him moving well on the tracker.  Looked like a hard day yesterday so good to hear that Steve is in fine fettle.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:51:53 am »
Good work, team!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:54:20 am »
He is heading north up to Spalding and his favourite cafe at Holbeach before turnigpng back South and heading for home.

In which case he may be coming back through Oundle this afternoon, I'll keep an eye on the tracker and hope to pop out later.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:23:27 am »
A creature of habit Noel he seems to like the run back through these parts, happy hunting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:44:40 am »
Good work Loadsabikes! :thumbsup:

Go Steve!
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:08:56 am »
Well done Loadsabikes :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:19:03 am »
Well done indeed.
Cleaning somebody else's bike at two in the morning isn't the sort of thing I would do with alacrity!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:21:28 am »
In that case you wouldn't be doing the job properly.

Buy new "Alacrity", the industry's leading nocturnal bike cleaning fluid!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:46:18 am »
I went out for a short spin at 7am this morning with two chums who were doing a longer ride and Postie who was doing his route check for the 200k next weekend.

Although not as cold as it has been, it was pretty cold, there was plenty of ice around, my legs felt bloody heavy and although I have been home for well over an hour, my feet are still not warmed up.

How Steve is doing this day after day for 14+ hours is something else.

H

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:48:03 am »
Good work indeed.
Looks much better out there for him today and staying pretty mild this evening too.
Keep on keeping on TG!
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:53:29 am »
Mrs. Wow and I are getting the tandem out in honour of the Great Man. 25 miles with a pub lunch will be our limit I fear.

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:53:52 am »
Mrs. Wow and I are getting the tandem out in honour of the Great Man.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2015, 11:40:04 am »
Mrs. Wow and I are getting the tandem out in honour of the Great Man. 25 miles with a pub lunch will be our limit I fear.

A teetotal pub lunch I expect, in solidarity.

« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2015, 01:17:36 pm »
It was very interesting chatting to Steve over breakfast this morning.
A number of people have commented on his choice of bike with regard to weight and quality.
He claims that the weight makes very little difference because he is riding on the flattest terrain he can.
Tha steel frame gives him durability and a good degree of comfort.
He wanted the fastest wheels that he could find without compromising strength and durability.
He really rates the tubeless tyres, claiming that they have saved him a lot of time already with the ability to self seal after thorn attack!
He has gone for top quality components in the high wear areas with Hope hubs, bottom bracket and head set.
Overall, he is pretty content with his set up.
He was very happy with yesterday's heart rate figures and can feel his legs getting stronger!
He is indeed, a force to be reckoned with!

red marley

« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »
Interesting stuff. In addition to relatively flat terrain (yesterday excepted), Steve's choice of routes and riding style tend to involve less stopping and starting or rapid changes in speed, so the disadvantages of a heavier load are minimised.

I can see one of the legacies of his OYTT and choice of equipment will be a major shift to tubeless tyres for Audaxers and other longer distance cyclists. Schwalbe have done well with their sponsorship.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »
Interesting stuff. In addition to relatively flat terrain (yesterday excepted), Steve's choice of routes and riding style tend to involve less stopping and starting or rapid changes in speed, so the disadvantages of a heavier load are minimised.

For endurance riding, comfort is pretty much always preferable to lightweight.  I think he's made the right decision.

I can see one of the legacies of his OYTT and choice of equipment will be a major shift to tubeless tyres for Audaxers and other longer distance cyclists. Schwalbe have done well with their sponsorship.

I was thinking that too.  They seem to have real advantages.

« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2015, 01:47:31 pm »

Aye. Reports from (among others)  Bikey Mikey and PhilW had started me thinking about  tubeless. Steve's decision has convinced me my next tyres will be the  Schwalbes. (And as I fitted  my last Krylion on Thursday, that's not too far away.)

« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:01:21 pm »
Steve is no stranger to heavy bikes.
I met him on the Heart of England 300 in 2011 and he was riding a mountain bike with panniers [this was all in preparation for PBP 2011 which he did on the same set up, if memory is correct].
Commenting on the weight, he said that his fixed wheel bike weighed more than the mountain bike! And he'd been riding that all over the UK past few years without too much trouble.

Also - terrain, roads and weather. Without a support vehicle [which I really don't believe he's at a disadvantage not having, I really don't], he needed something durable that would cope with the conditions here during these first few months.

It's obvious now, that he's prepared really well, put a lot of thought into what will work best for him, both equipment and the way to ride. It's been interesting to here tales of "you'd be surprised how slowly he climbs" from people here.
I remember one time on the Elenith on that big climb after Tregaron, he came waltzing past me on his fixed wheel, out of the saddle pumping hard, like he was on a magic carpet. It's different this time - he's just sitting there right in that all important zone, never pushing too hard, just building up the foundations to increase mileage a bit later. Really fascinating to watch it all unfold.
Garry Broad

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:14:40 pm »
Interesting to note that the tracker currently shows 46 deg F for Steve and range of 36 to 42 def F for Tarzan. I hope Steve isn't feeling too hot. He deserves a good spell of milder weather.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »

For endurance riding, comfort is pretty much always preferable to lightweight.  I think he's made the right decision.
(should work for all:)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1565874683654239&id=1549550211953353&refid=17
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:19:42 pm »
Will be interesting to get Steve's feedback on traditional steel forks and comfort.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:53:27 pm »
I don't think the weight will have much effect. When I use my all steel utility bike with 26" wheels and 40c tyres etc. which weighs 15 Kg naked compared to 8.5 Kgs for my Ally framed audax bike on 700 x 23c tyres, there is not much overall difference in my time or average speed on the routes I use.

Obviously the up hills are slower, but Steve is going slow up them anyway. The difference I can instantly tell is comfort, the steely feels like sitting in an armchair soaking up the bumps rather than banging my backside on the seat on the audax!

I think my next frame will probably be steel.

« Reply #24 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »

Aye. Reports from (among others)  Bikey Mikey and PhilW had started me thinking about  tubeless. Steve's decision has convinced me my next tyres will be the  Schwalbes. (And as I fitted  my last Krylion on Thursday, that's not too far away.)

I ride off road a lot, as well as Audax. After a miserable year last year with MTB puntures, I finally bit the bullet and went tubless. I don't know how many thorns I've had since then but based on my average rate of MTB punctures, I reckon Ive missed about 8-10 flats since I went tubeless. In that time, the only issue I've had was a slit with a piece of glass. The slit was about 2mm and even that sealed - eventually!
I'm now serioulsy considering going tubless on my road bikes as well.