Author Topic: Cheltenham New Flyer 2015  (Read 2064 times)

Cheltenham New Flyer 2015
« on: 10 March, 2015, 07:27:53 am »
Anyone had any organisers info updates, or is it exactly same as last year?---apart from roads being awash that is  ::-)

At least looks to be dry if a bit on chilly side with light winds too, not bad
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Re: Cheltenham New Flyer 2015
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:09:59 am »
The event page implies that there are some changes early on.
Same excellent local Control teams as 2012/13/14 at Fernham and Burbage raising funds for Charities. NB: Rail bridge works on Fosse nr Grittleton forces change to Tetbury.

Last year, details were emailed out around 4 days before the event, so I expect something will be landing in your inbox in the next day or so.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:39:11 pm »
Organiser told me yesterday there is no diversion, the info on the event page must be out of date

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:43:03 pm »
The rail bridge works on the Fosse Way are finished and I've ridden along it many times in the last 6 months. However, at the NE end it turns into a track, so you probably want to go North towards Sherston or South via Norton.

In any case, it' only marginally shorter than the old route through Hullavington...

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:52:13 pm »
Anyone had any organisers info updates, or is it exactly same as last year?---apart from roads being awash that is  ::-)

As for the weather, it could not be as bad as two years ago.

Between Tetbury and Andoversford the sky turned into something delivered direct from Hades.  A soot black sky enveloped by heavy sleet and wet snow blown by stormy gales.  Those last few miles were pure hell and pitied the full value riders facing a very challenging ride through such conditions.

As for diversion, yes the route card still appears to divert people away from the bridge. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:20:47 pm »
is the gpx on the website good to use?
nam dan on fb

« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:45:18 pm »
is the gpx on the website good to use?

The gpx route appears to indicate the diversion but as stated above, the diversion is not much longer than the original version using the bridge. I calculate that it is only around 800m further.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »
I am guessing the non diverted way is more picturesque?
nam dan on fb

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »
Actually, the diversion turns right at X through Grittleton, which is a nice historic North Wilts/Cotswoldy village. The route over the bridge is much simpler, which at that stage in the ride may be preferred. We're planning to go over the fixed bridge and see what the straight-on track looks like. There's meant to be a lot of rain on Friday, so it might be too much even for the tandem's 35mm M+ tyres.

Our route plan is here. It uses the fixed bridge on the Fosse Way, but avoids the rough track near Norton. The usual disclaimers apply, I've blundered before!   ;D

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »

As for the weather, it could not be as bad as two years ago.

Between Tetbury and Andoversford the sky turned into something delivered direct from Hades.  A soot black sky enveloped by heavy sleet and wet snow blown by stormy gales.  Those last few miles were pure hell and pitied the full value riders facing a very challenging ride through such conditions.

As for diversion, yes the route card still appears to divert people away from the bridge. 

I well remember the ride in 2013, I was a very full value rider on that day and I got so cold and wet that when I stopped at a pub near Tetbury to ask directions I could barely speak. At Tetbury I parked my bike outside the Snooty Fox, went in for a pint and called my wife in Stroud to ask her to come and collect me and my bike, that was the first time in 13 years that I had abandoned an Audax. On the way home, as she occasionally reminds me, I swore that I would never do another Audax!

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:59:18 pm »
It was superb weather last year...I'm hopeful for Saturday being just as good & am really looking forward to doing this one again :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:30:09 pm »
Looking forward to my first Cheltenham New Flyer.  :)

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:31:22 pm »
Route sheet is still the same as last year, so I'll be re-using last year's laminated copy. I've never used any rough tracks on this ride. There is a bit of the Fosse Way that is track, but the route always avoids it by doing a left turn.

Looks like being a cold, overcast day. I won't be skimping on the clothing.

« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:29:06 pm »
Route sheet is still the same as last year, so I'll be re-using last year's laminated copy. I've never used any rough tracks on this ride. There is a bit of the Fosse Way that is track, but the route always avoids it by doing a left turn.

Looks like being a cold, overcast day. I won't be skimping on the clothing.

this is where I`m getting a bit confused---update date on .gpx / route is shown as March 2014 and I don`t recall any odd sections at all ----- so is there a route change or do I use 2014 .gpx as shown on the entry AUK info link?

and I too will revert to near full winter clothing useage  :thumbsup: 5 or 6c and cloudy and a breeze, bbrrr
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:01:45 am »
Been too busy sorting your routes and riding them. Now posted/emailed. Disregard all info on website. Too many domestic diversions to update. If you know a Rob Gill of Wolverhampton, his email to me does not work, so he has not rec'd the RS!

I started an event thread earlier, which you guys missed.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.