Author Topic: [HAMR] March 13th  (Read 10666 times)

Re: March 13th
« Reply #75 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:30:56 pm »
Hey Steve, Great effort this week - it's Saturday tomorrow....worth going for 225miles?  ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

hillbilly

« Reply #76 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:39:21 pm »
Rocking this challenge so much it should be named the Ambraham'r challenge.

srw

« Reply #77 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:50:02 pm »
This, allegedly, is the feature-free km squ.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=483507&Y=422510&A=Y&Z=120

Only the electricity lines cross it. Even the pylons are outside.

IIRC one corner of the pylon is inside the square.  We had inside information when this last came up in the Other Place (the grid square is one of the notable landmarks on the Hull FNRttC).

It isn't. I had a detailed discussion with someone on Cyclechat about this.

It's easily provable using Bikehike and drawing a line around the km square in question, then looking at it in earthview.

Edit: it's possible the very tip of one of the pylon's outriggers might just be inside the square in question but the pylon's feet and body are clearly outside.
The person Kim is citing owns the pylon.

(Well, nearly.)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #78 on: 13 March, 2015, 10:17:01 pm »
This week has been ace.

The ramp was scheduled to to be upped, and it has been.

Go Steve!
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #79 on: 13 March, 2015, 10:35:12 pm »
This, allegedly, is the feature-free km squ.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=483507&Y=422510&A=Y&Z=120

Only the electricity lines cross it. Even the pylons are outside.

IIRC one corner of the pylon is inside the square.  We had inside information when this last came up in the Other Place (the grid square is one of the notable landmarks on the Hull FNRttC).

It isn't. I had a detailed discussion with someone on Cyclechat about this.

It's easily provable using Bikehike and drawing a line around the km square in question, then looking at it in earthview.

Edit: it's possible the very tip of one of the pylon's outriggers might just be inside the square in question but the pylon's feet and body are clearly outside.
The person Kim is citing owns the pylon.

(Well, nearly.)

In that case, it's the same person I had the discussion with. I was told, by others on Cyclechat, that whoeveritwas was "Mr. National Grid" but whether that grid was to do with electricity or ordnance maps I didn't find out. However, ISTR drawing the said km. squ. and linking to it and there was no comeback from Mr. NG.

I've just tried the same trick but at this time of night Bikehike is reduced to "Bing" as a representation of OS 1:50000, which is a bit of a flop because zooming in makes the grid lines too blurry.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
Oh, don't take my word for it, I can't find the post and I might be misremembering.

ETA:  Got it.  I merely needed to bung "cyclechat fnrttc 400kv" into google.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/friday-night-ride-to-the-coast-york-to-hull-19-april-2013.122705/page-21#post-2419545

Quote from: swansonj
A-hem. Because I can sense the serious anxiety about this issue, and I sense that several of you will get no sleep until you know the answer, I am delighted to reassure you that pylon 4ZQ033 (L6 construction, straightline D tower with 2.35 m extension, built at 275 kV in 1969, uprated to 400 kV in 1971) has its base centre outside that bleakest kilometre square. But as the base dimensions of the pylon are about 11 m square, I think we'll find that the eastern two legs are about 3 or 4 metres insde the square. So that poor, bleak, kilometre square is not in fact denied the comfort of at least half a pylon.

Obviously in YACF tradition, the Baton needs upgrading with a prism, and we need to dispatch a crack team of comedy off-roaders to literally the middle of nowhere for a definitive answer (and "I carried this theodolite on my extremely muddy bike" photo).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:27:05 am »
Clearly, the tool avalable to me is Bikehike, with its convenient juxtaposing of OS and Google Earth. Assuming that these two work accurately together I believe I demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that the km2 in question was entirely free of pylons' legs, with or without bandage.

I believe it to be our solemn duty to hie us to Ousefleet on the Summer Solstice, with theodolite (other deities' surveying equipment may be available), in order to settle this burning issue.

« Reply #82 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:42:33 am »
Clearly, the tool avalable to me is Bikehike, with its convenient juxtaposing of OS and Google Earth. Assuming that these two work accurately together I believe I demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that the km2 in question was entirely free of pylons' legs, with or without bandage.

I believe it to be our solemn duty to hie us to Ousefleet on the Summer Solstice, with theodolite (other deities' surveying equipment may be available), in order to settle this burning issue.

As Clarion says, there is a convenient campsite for the expedition.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:45:02 am »
I suspect there are WGS84/OSGB36 datum issues that Bikehike is failing to fudge to a high enough precision.  If you compare road junctions and other non-pylon landmarks in the area, all Google's offerings are consistently south-west of where the OS reckons them to be.

Survey poles at dawn?

As Clarion says, there is a convenient campsite for the expedition.  :D

That's presumably the only thing it's ever been convenient for...

« Reply #84 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:56:31 am »
We found it at the end of the longest day ever on a fully loaded tandem. All the campsites we had passed had been either caravans only or had no loos. Convenient wasn't the word for it, but it was nice. :) It also ensured that I had lunch on my 38th birthday in Goole, which was an experience.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #85 on: 14 March, 2015, 05:19:17 am »
So Butterfly experienced plenty of Goolies on her birthday.. Excellent!  :-*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 14 March, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »
I suspect there are WGS84/OSGB36 datum issues that Bikehike is failing to fudge to a high enough precision.  If you compare road junctions and other non-pylon landmarks in the area, all Google's offerings are consistently south-west of where the OS reckons them to be.

Interestingly Bing maps seems to do a much better job of this.  If you flip between aerial and OS map view, it stretches the datum and puts the pylon in exactly the right place.