Author Topic: [HAMR] March 14th  (Read 5159 times)

Re: March 14th
« Reply #25 on: 14 March, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
Not long got back after completing the Carlton le Moorland 200K event and riding home.

I was at Penny's Café in Coningsby eating beans on toast and who should walk in, only the great man himself !

One question, does he carry two (I think there were two but might not have been) enormous I Love Tea mugs around with him for when he gets to a café for them to fill as he got his tea served in them whereas us mere mortals had standard white mugs ?

Made my day only wish I'd got him to sign my brevet card.

For info the wind in these parts has been awful today strong biting North Easterly making it feel far colder than the thermometer would suggest. Steve was well wrapped up as usual.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2015, 08:12:24 pm »
Still going and 193 tracker miles in the bag so far.

Keep going Steve!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2015, 08:13:33 pm »
Need to get team marginal gains to work on developing lightweight tea mugs (* that don't lose the ambience of china ) :)

« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »
Just had a near Steve experience from the train

I also had a near Gibbon experience when visiting the velodrome in Manchester today; there is a "Gibbon street" leading up to the velodrome.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Blimey!  Just checked the tracker after a couple of hours.  203.32!  He's nearly home though, if not actually finished.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:13:56 pm »
Another good day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:29:29 pm »
343.8 kms!  -  Man of Steel!

Day 73 - so he's a fifth of the way there -  Go go Steve!

« Reply #32 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:43:17 pm »
He's doing what he needs to do.

The weather looks pretty static for the next few days, so I'd expect similar rides.

« Reply #33 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:46:36 pm »
213.6 miles on Strava  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #34 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:51:23 pm »
Well done Steve :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 14 March, 2015, 09:59:41 pm »
I love to see a well-thought-out plan being brilliantly executed.

Great work, Steve! More!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #36 on: 14 March, 2015, 10:03:24 pm »
I would say they don't call him Teethgrinder for nothing....but actually they don't, that's what he calls himself!
Great cycling Steve. Just settling into it now.
Sleep well.
Garry Broad

« Reply #37 on: 14 March, 2015, 10:33:33 pm »
I love to see a well-thought-out plan being brilliantly executed.

Great work, Steve! More!

Absolutely agree.

I know you've made the point on more than one occasion that Kurt came to the show late in the day and doesn't appear to have done the same preparation and testing that Steve has. Yesterdays GPS issue was another example.

How hard can it be to come to the conclusion even before you start on an enterprise such as this, that you need at least one back up GPS ? Even more so when you've had more than one issue since the start.

Kurt is a phenomenal cyclist - no doubt about it, but he may let himself down because of his planning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 15 March, 2015, 02:56:08 am »
Go Steve!!

(Well, wait until you wake uo :) )
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:46:01 am »
I can only re-iterate what was said further down this thread. I also did the Yellowbelly 200km. I saw Steve in Heckington whilst I was sat on a wall drinking a can. The headwind on that 40 odd mile section was evil - strong and cold. For a relatively flat route, that was a very hard day in the saddle.
Maximum respect to Steve for putting up with 100 miles of that wind.
I am very sore and stiff this morning.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #40 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:28:36 am »
Yellowbelly 200 strava playback with added Steve Abraham. Unfortunately we missed him as he passed us while we were in Sylv's cafe in Heckington and then we passed him while he was in the cafe in Coningsby while we went for an ATM receipt for POP.
Strava Playback clicky

« Reply #41 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
@Pedal Castro - I've never seen that function before. Had a look on the Strava site but couldn't find it. Am I missing something?

« Reply #42 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:04:57 am »
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/

It's a Strava Labs function. I don't know where, or whether, the link from the main Strava site is, but the above is the direct link into which you can paste an activity url.

Alternatively, Veloviewer has direct links against each of your activities which open the flyby site and inserts the url for you. i.e. one click, then press 'play'.