Author Topic: Flaky pastry  (Read 1221 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Flaky pastry
« on: 08 December, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
I had a shot at making Eccles cakes at the weekend, using Saint Deliah of Norwich's "Quick Flaky Pastry" recipe.  It was ok-ish, undoubtedly quick, but could do with improvement.  Part of the issue was my lack of rolling skillz, so I ended up with a not very rectangular rectangle. I think it got too warm during cake assembly too, causing tearing and Bad Swears.

Any other easy-ish flaky pastry recipes that people have tried? Should I even be using flaky pastry for Eccles cakes?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Flaky pastry
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »
I use St Delia's recipe for Eccles Cakes.

Don't scrimp on the chillin'. Cold hands, warm heart, good pastry. A certain amount of tearing is par for the course. Don't try and roll the pastry too thin- pastry is most of the cake.

I've also been known to make a more usual rough puff. Plenty of recipes on t'interwebs. This one doesn't even have any calories- win!
I wouldn't use St Delia's pastry for owt other than the Eccles cakes, sausage rolls, pies, all that buttery goodness is better with the rough puff.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Flaky pastry
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:19:22 pm »
Is that from the Complete Cookery Course? Just having a look at the recipe now... margarine! Ugh!

I generally leave pastry making to my wife, because she is good at it, but I’ve decided it’s a skill I need to learn. And so I’ve been trying my hand at proper puff pastry. It’s actually not that difficult. You just need to be careful and patient. Keep everything very cold and handle as little as possible. I believe these principles apply to pastry making generally.

As well as St Delia, my reference sources include Prue Leith’s Cookery Bible and Michel Roux’s Pastry. The Frenchman doesn’t even admit of the existence of flaky pastry. Must be a British thing.

My gran made the best Eccles cakes. After she died, I went up to her place with my mum to help sort out her affairs. I was doing fine, emotions wise, until I found a tin of Eccles cakes in the larder that she’d made the morning she died. That just tipped me over the edge.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:52:56 pm »
Does she really use marge? That's disgusting.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »
Does she really use marge? That's disgusting.

To be fair, our well-thumbed copy of Delia's Complete Cookery Course dates from 1982. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been amended in newer editions.

Hang on... <google>

The current recipe on her website says butter or marge:
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/quick-and-easy-recipes/quick-flaky-pastry

Partial redemption.

IIRC, my gran used a mix of butter and lard. Which is also what Prue Leith recommends in her recipe.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:26:32 pm »
I used butter.

Edit: She uses butter in the video which I slavishly followed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)