Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68025 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #300 on: 06 April, 2015, 11:04:14 am »
Back to this.

Whilst working away, this time, I was the only smoker in the team.

This removed one temptation.

The hotel I was staying in, the smoking area was open to the elements and a long way from the rooms.

I got a new car, which I didn't want to end up smelling like, as John Cooper Clarke would put it, "a night club in the morning, .... the bitter end"

Lastly, and by no means least, I got a stern telling off by a really really good friend.

So I had my last cig about 3 weeks ago and feel much much better for it, barring the minor chest infection I got last week! I hope that this time it will stick.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #301 on: 06 April, 2015, 11:09:08 am »
 :smug: top job!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #302 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:35:12 am »
Top job :)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #303 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »
Nice one. Good luck :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #304 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:39:01 pm »
Well thats your body clear of poison, now all down to the Brain!. (Well done btw, the first two weeks are murder).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #305 on: 01 March, 2016, 09:39:31 am »
The carousel comes full circle again . . .

This morning I'm starting with patches (which hopefully won't end up in the minestrone) and the spray.  Specific instructions fron teh quack to not go cold turkey, he wants to see me again next week and realistically wants me to halve consumption by then.

I've done this twice before through willpower and lasted 5 years both times. Here's hoping...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #306 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:34:14 am »
Good Luck, just remember to put the money you would have spent aside so that the N+1 fund is  established.  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #307 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:38:43 am »
Keep it up, Tors, good luck.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #308 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:46:53 am »
Good luck John, I keep falling off that particular wagon....usually when I get p155ed.

tiermat

« Reply #309 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:50:00 am »
One thing I have found has helped, this time, is being on Methatrexate.  Even just smelling cigarette smoke makes me feel like puking now.

Not that there are any other redeeming features of that particular medication, in fact, other than the fact it really helps manage my Crohn's there is none.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #310 on: 01 March, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »
Hope this goes well for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #311 on: 01 March, 2016, 06:11:28 pm »
Good luck

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #312 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
Good luck Tors'.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #313 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:05:33 pm »
Good luck Torslanda. GP sounds wise, a step at a time rather than trying to rush it.  Hope this time works well.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #314 on: 02 March, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »
Good luck, matey.
Best wishes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #315 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:20:44 pm »
7 weeks ago yesterday. Cold turkey. Nth attempt. This time easier than any previous one: not sure why except that, as I get older, I think the risks loom larger and the 'joy' (there is none really) diminishes.

Good luck to you Torslanda (and continued strength to you tiermat) and anyone else trying to beat this shit.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #316 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:37:57 pm »
Just read this entire thread....

Some inspiring stories of success, and some great tips, and a few failures which tells me my struggle isn't just me being pathetic and weak willed

I've been off and on stopping for a few years, sometimes for months, but didn't beat it yet....Last few months I've been trying to get my head around it again.....Had an aborted attempt a couple of weeks ago that lasted nearly a week....I had been pretty down on not making it stick once more....but I think one of the things I've taken from this is that really doesn't help.....

Anyway....pretty sure I'll be giving it another go soon...let's hope this time is the time

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!

Paul

« Reply #318 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:07:14 pm »
I had about 20 cigarettes in May. My trigger was a specific piece of work which required me to be out and about for the day. I do it once a year and I've always, previously, smoked while doing so. I know that this is illogical, but that's what addiction does. so after 4 fag free months I bought 10 for the day.

Then I bought 10 more and then another 10. That's how it gets you.

:(

It's now been a week since my last one.

Failure: it's not the falling down, it's the not getting back up.

:thumbsup:

Paul

« Reply #319 on: 04 June, 2016, 10:49:03 am »
(Btw, I know that 10+10+10=30. I didn't finish any of the 10s I bought, each time deciding to chuck the remainder and then cracking a day or two later any buying more.)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #320 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:37:16 pm »
I "Dual Fueled" for around a year. Replaced some of the smokes with vaping and, eventually, realised I was Enjoying the Baggage and flavours of vaping more.
I haven't smoked for over 2 years now but still enjoy vaping. I can now leave the flat without vapestuff and not get a Panic.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #321 on: 07 June, 2016, 12:13:29 am »
Good stuff matey :) glad to see you're still going strong!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #322 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »
Good stuff matey :) glad to see you're still going strong!

Thanks to you, Sam. Ifyou hadn't put me on to Jason at VE I'd probably tried corner shop crap and gone back to  Smerkin'.

Paul

« Reply #323 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:24:48 pm »
After stopping in June I fell off the wagon again. However, I haven't had a fag since August - a full 6 months.

That means I stopped 3 times last year - but only started twice.

Result:  ;D.

« Reply #324 on: 15 March, 2017, 09:31:29 am »
12 months tobacco free, whoop  :thumbsup:

I've still got my e-cig for when stressed or out for a beer but it's just a comfort blanket these days and usually has no charge  ::-) , never say never, but I don't think I'll go back now, got to the stage where the smell and second hand smoke is vile.