Author Topic: Handlebar Bags and lights  (Read 1295 times)

Handlebar Bags and lights
« on: 01 May, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
Good morning.

Just reattached my Carradice bar bag but now can't find the light bracket  which attaches to the underneath of the bag and on which lights  can be attached.

Are  there any alternatives to using the bracket ?  Can't see them on sale as spared on the Carradice website

Tempted as I am by a Giles Berthoud bag and rack I don't think that's an affordable solution, not least as I am  already invested in a black saddlebag to match the bar bag.

Any suggestions?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Handlebar Bags and lights
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2021, 11:42:46 am »
Ask Carradice directly for where you can buy the part? They are quite approachable.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:49:26 pm »
I intend to. 

But are there alternatives?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:54:57 pm »
You could try a "space bar" type attachment from Topeak or Minoura. But I'd try contacting Carradice first.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2021, 06:07:06 pm »
Do you have a rim brake on front fork?  Maybe a fork mounted light?

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 10:13:07 am »
One comes included with the Carradice KlickFix bracket (£14)
That probably means that asking Carradice will be productive, but otherwise, if you've another bike you may want to use the bag with...

General comment:
A light on a bar bag isn't rigidly mounted, and the beam will bounce about on rough roads. It doesn't matter for a visibility light, but is pretty offputting on a fast descent.

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2021, 11:11:43 am »
I have a spare light bracket , some were in the shed . I can post it to you when I find it . Love the bag. But I had to fit my smart light up side down on the bracket , I could never keep it pointing in the right plane & it used to bounce about like a drunk on a space hopper . You are welcome to it , but I am not really doing you any favours . Colin   
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2021, 10:18:19 am »
Yes, I ve  used the Carradice attachment before and it's ok   but it's not great.

Brakes are side pulls so a fork attachment would work, though this means new lights as my Lezynes won't attach to any of the ones I've seen so far. Looks like they are mostly designed for Cat Eyes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2021, 10:22:14 am »
Brackets bolted to the fork’s lamp boss (if a stone age frame) or lowrider rack mount (if a touring frame)? Axle mounted lamp mount (though that can be overly low for some tastes)? Brackets bolted to cantilever/ V-brake studs (if available)?

https://www.cyclingabout.com/how-to-mount-bikepacking-lights/

https://www.carousell.sg/p/front-light-mount-for-brompton-207507909/ if your light isn’t very heavy.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2021, 10:45:35 pm »
Maybe this fork mount would work with you Lezyne lights:
https://www.amazon.com/Rixen-Kaul-Light-Holder-Bracket/dp/B00INTRNN2

David