Author Topic: Moulton APB rear suspension pivot - information.  (Read 977 times)

Moulton APB rear suspension pivot - information.
« on: 02 May, 2021, 09:32:00 am »
Speaking to Dan Farrell at Moulton he recommends fitting a grease nipple to the rear pivot of the APB.
I am going to anyway because I am fitting a mid drive motor (which he does not recommend).
Never knowingly under caffeinated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Moulton APB rear suspension pivot - information.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:36:33 am »
The TSR, basically a warmed-over APB, has one factory-fitted.  It should be used very frequently.  The clearances are very small, so you need a large high-pressure grease gun to get anything through.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2021, 10:10:46 am »
The TSR, basically a warmed-over APB, has one factory-fitted.  It should be used very frequently.  The clearances are very small, so you need a large high-pressure grease gun to get anything through.
Thanks Rogerzilla. The APB has come out of my buying a TSRA8 last July.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2021, 11:58:20 am »
How do they compare?  I know the APB introduced the "hairpin" tubing (and I suspect the cross-bracing on these is purely cosmetic) but I've never seen one in the flesh.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2021, 12:54:33 pm »
I haven't ridden the APB as yet.
It came to me loosely assembled last week. I have stripped it and am now putting back together with a Mid drive motor.
Other than a broken bellows cover on the front suspension, an oddly worn friction washer and some grooving in a leading link plate all is good. Thanks Gavinc otp.
The bellows was easily sourced and the friction washer is worn in its centre hole and not the faces so I will leave it for now.

Visually, they are very different rear triangles. The TSR has better dropouts, a single post from pivot tube to suspension bung, none of the wire cross bracing and is an inch longer from pivot point to rear axle, but it pivots behind the BB rather than above it.
If it is of any interest Dan F at Moulton expressed concern about either type of rear triangle with a mid drive motor.
The front forks are different, as I expect you know, but the frame is very similar.
HTH

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:36:29 pm »
I guess you can run the fork with minimal damping if it's motorised.  Normally it's a compromise between comfort and pogoing on hills (although damping makes little difference there unless you virtually lock it solid).  I wish there was a handlebar-operated lockout.  My TSR has the "race spring" but that too made little difference.