Author Topic: Novice running  (Read 25822 times)

Re: Novice running
« Reply #75 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:08:25 pm »
My marathon running weight as a mere twenty something / thirty something year old was 12st 7lbs.  My knees are just fine and I've just restarted running with a few extra stone.  So far no problems but I'll keep fingers crossed.

« Reply #76 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »
If I see 11st anything on the scales then I may give running a go.  I'm not prepared to subject my joints to 13st impacts every half second or so.

I can't help noticing just home many people wear some sort of knee/ankle support on the Gt North run and the London Marathon. 
Many of the runners, in my mind, seem way too heavy to be running for marathons and half marathons.

I have some sympathy with this view. I'm 6' 1" and currently very fractionally under 13st. I was not entirely happy running any distance when I was the far side of 15st and know that I'll be happier under 12... However, I suspect that the knee and ankle supports are at least as much about inadequate strength and injury culture.  Of course, the former is entirely related to weight given that is what the strength is needed to carry.

« Reply #77 on: 26 September, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »
If I see 11st anything on the scales then I may give running a go.  I'm not prepared to subject my joints to 13st impacts every half second or so.

1/3 of a second is what the experts suggest (180spm) but I tend to run at 160spm. Maybe my cadence will increase when I get down to a more sensible weight.

I can't help noticing just home many people wear some sort of knee/ankle support on the Gt North run and the London Marathon. 
Many of the runners, in my mind, seem way too heavy to be running for marathons and half marathons.

It's certainly easier when lighter. After running marathons (last two years) at 86kg and 92kg I've said I'll only do another if my weight begins with a 7 (i.e. 79.9kg or less).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #78 on: 26 September, 2017, 09:55:29 pm »

I'm 84kg / 13st 4lb at 189cm/6'2" and a bit.  Apparently, from when I've been videoed running to get the right running shoes my running gait is natural.  I do wonder if the knee./ankle support is more about running with a poor action or running when not properly rested/recovered from a niggle, than it is about weight.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #79 on: 26 September, 2017, 11:42:59 pm »
I see so many people on the Thames Path running with pronounced limps, only a quarter of them (I guess) have knee/patella bandages. Some people just like to bake in bad form.

I was worried after one run (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1075083351) when I looked at the L/R balance (Ground Contact Time Balance if you scroll down on that link) as it looked like I progressively switched from R to L over the course of the run (which could indicate compensation for an injury), however it was a straight out/back run along the Thames Path with the inflexion point exactly at the point I turned round (Richmond Bridge). The simple answer is that the path gently slopes towards the river and it is natural to counter this as you run, so there was longer contact on the side closer to the river (to push me up more on that foot). Other runs along that path have confirmed this.

« Reply #80 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:46:48 am »
Ooh, more data. My Garmin 235 doesn't give me all that information. Probably a good thing.

Agree form is important, but form is related to strength. Consequently, form breaks down as people tire. When I was young, I always felt a lot of runners would benefit from doing much more short fast work and less long slow slots. Largely because this would improve strength and form without being so limited my they broke down.

Also, although I'm a mid to forefoot striker, I don't think there's any evidence that other gaits are inherently more injury prone. It's more down to building the protective strength in the musculature and letting the bones adapt also. Both of these happen more slowly than initial CV improvement, hence the large number of subjects who pick up a njuries in the 6 to 18 week timeframe.

Knee issue are often pre-existing from other sport I suspect;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #81 on: 02 April, 2019, 05:18:37 pm »
The Current Mrs R and I are doing the Couch to 5k plan and loving it!   We are about to start week 5 although its taken us a little more than 5 weeks to get here.  I was always dead against running as I have suffered with shin splints albeit in my late teens  ::-)  But TCMR was keen so I decided to give it a go.  We mix running outdoors with running on the treadmills in the gym.  We have both had a running shoe fitting and decent shoes have made a world of difference.  I'm annoyed with myself that l missed out for so many years.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #82 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:56:32 pm »
It’s revelatory, isn’t it?

I didn’t run at all last year. I hurt my knees running the line at football. MRI. Some internal damage.

I was able to keep cycling but decided to wait until I was absolutely sure I could run again.

Started again from scratch at Christmas and recently got back to 30 minute runs. :thumbsup:

The programme is very clever. It pushes you, and it’s hard, but it’s always (just) doable. I think it’s mostly in the mind.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #83 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:34:10 am »
It’s revelatory, isn’t it...

The programme is very clever. It pushes you, and it’s hard, but it’s always (just) doable. I think it’s mostly in the mind.

Revelatory is the word, definitely.  And I agree the Couch to 5k programme is clever, the progress we are making is very evident.  I like how you can choose your celeb to tell you what to do, I have Sarah Millican urging me on  ;D

« Reply #84 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:57:34 am »
Like many I ran at school at a reasonable standard combining it with cycling then soon gave both up. Took up cycling again in my late 20s and got to a good Scottish standard before stopping once again after a couple of years. Restarted running in my mid thirties and got to a fair club standard in a couple of years doing regular 2.40 marathons before another hiatus. Started once again about 18 months ago in my early 70s and have gone from 32 min 5ks to 58 mins for 10k with plenty of room for improvement. Took up Audaxing in my late 50s and I am still doing a few and managed a 10hr hilly 200 piloting my tandem with a remarkably fit stoker on Saturday past followed by my first half marathon in 25 yrs the next day. Took over double the time I recorded on my last half but was delighted to finish injury free. My approach now is by doing few running miles(10 per week) with more walking miles, some swimming, Pilates and two or three sessions on my Atom per week. I don't like the cold(Raynauds) so have only been out on the bike for the three Audaxes I have done this year. My weight has come down by 5 kilos to 65ks over the past year. Motivation is provided by trying to keep up with my partner who is ten years younger and much fitter and has only recently discovered athletic activity although she has long been a keen Yoga practitioner.

Paul

« Reply #85 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
I like how you can choose your celeb to tell you what to do, I have Sarah Millican urging me on  ;D
Suzy used the app (or whatever you call it) and she chose Sarah Millican too. She is lovely, apparently (Sarah Millican) (And Suzy, but not "apparently") (Well, she (Suzy) is also apparently lovely, but she's actually lovely too) (Sarah Millican might be actually lovely too too, I just don't know).

Where was I?

Oh yes, I just used a watch. Bit of a faff (but less faffy IMO than making sure your phone and speakers are charged, and connecting them to you some how), but think I prefer running without more tech.

Suzy's speakers lost power part way around her run last week and she said she was bored. Whatever I feel about running, it's never boring.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #86 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:53:54 pm »
We use the app on our phones and it works really well. TCMR chose Michael Johnson.

Paul

« Reply #87 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:57:12 pm »
Have they got Scarlett Johansson?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #88 on: 03 April, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »
Have they got Scarlett Johansson?

I’ll check  ;D

« Reply #89 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:33:15 am »
Two or three years ago, I decided to do a bit of running... 
To cut a long story short, I had a complete fracture of my calcaneus...

Two errors:

1. Not building up slowly enough.

1b. Poor running technique: heel strike. Very difficult to train yourself out of this.

2. Not having proper running shoes. I had good trainers, but there were not running shoes and they were getting on a bit. Running shoes need to be replaced regularly.

Now having another go - on week 3 of the Couch to 5k. All ok so far. I don't seem to be as bad a heel striker as I thought. I have appreciated the slow rate of progress of the programme, I think that is what I need. The only discomfort so far is at the front of the hip joint on both sides - feels like hip flexor pain rather than the joint itself.

This time I am running in the park next door - Marble Hill Park - and a bit on the Thames path and I think I am benefiting from running partly on grass and mud paths.

Contemplating the Parkrun when I get a bit further on.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #90 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:39:06 am »
Having completed Couch to 5k back in June and then comfortably running longer distances I have now knackered my left knee and The Current Mrs R has knackered the arch of her right foot. Frustrating it is  >:( :'(

« Reply #91 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:48:26 am »
That's a bugger, OD.

I have made mental note of the earlier comment that it is easy to collect an injury in the 9 - 12 week stage after starting from scratch.

This time I am not really planning to do more than 5k.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #92 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:55:48 am »
That's a bugger, OD.

I have made mental note of the earlier comment that it is easy to collect an injury in the 9 - 12 week stage after starting from scratch.

This time I am not really planning to do more than 5k.

And as we’re still away in France it makes it difficult to get advice and / or treatment.

« Reply #93 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:59:01 am »
I started running in the spring.

Started on the C25K thing but quicly got frustrated and started just doing regular 5 - 10km runs.

Developed tendonitus in my left foot. Bought some insoles. Didn't improve.

Stopped running.
-------------------

Now i have a knee problem that requires me to stop cycling, so i'm looking at the runnings again. Been on a few steady walk.run.walks. I think long brisk walks might be a good thing to better prepare my atrophied ligaments/tendons.

« Reply #94 on: 16 September, 2019, 11:31:40 am »
Piriformis syndrome - that's the outcome of my Google diagnosis.

Somewhat annoying as 1) this can take a while to resolve and 2) I thought doing Pilates for years might mitigate against such things.

I think I'll refrain from running until this is better, hopefully a week will do it, and then restart C25K on week 3.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #95 on: 17 September, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
After not running between 1980 and 2011, gradually built up through half-marathons to marathons and was into ultra territory when I injured my foot last November.  Physio suggests a stress fracture that didn't heal properly, and it may require surgery.  I'm now happy to walk reasonable distances but have stayed away from running.  But it the next two weeks will probably do a gentle 3k around Basing Common and see how it responds and if I can keep going, very gradually build up the distances again.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Paul

« Reply #96 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:24:01 am »
I stopped in April: work got in the way for a few weeks then I lost my mojo.

So, yesterday, I started again at the beginning: one minute running; 90 seconds walking; repeat 8 times.

I really enjoyed it, but I’ achy.

« Reply #97 on: 31 October, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner or similar.

Do any of these watches / activity trackers allow you to run the couch to 5k app? Do they have an OS as such?

« Reply #98 on: 31 October, 2019, 04:24:04 pm »
They do, but I think all of the interaction is via the watch, there's no corresponding website or phone app.

Here's an example one (it's simply the first one I found via google, no idea whether it is any good):-

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a1eb20b5-5caf-4f87-a196-f28283dcdbbd

"Connect IQ" is the name they give to the ecosystem for apps that run on Garmin watches themselves.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #99 on: 31 October, 2019, 04:30:11 pm »
Couch to 5k is basically just interval training. So if the watch supports intervals, you can set it up on the watch, for the right times etc.
Or you can download a training plan from Garmin Connect, which will set all of the intervals. Looks like there's a few 5K options.
So you don't need an 'app' as such.