Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65529 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #100 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:48:12 am »
Really enjoyed this event the time I rode it but we'll be riding in the South of France instead.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #101 on: 01 February, 2014, 12:07:09 pm »
I will be doing it this year.Will enter in the next couple of weeks.

« Reply #102 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:16:35 pm »
to DD or not to DD.........

Lovely quiet route and very different from my usual chilterns based ramblings but the wind  :'(

and last year the terrible cold, and the snow flurries, and the wind......also there is wind.

Ferry is fun though  :) so will probably do again - I need better photos anyway - ones I took last year have terrible camera shake for some reason..........

« Reply #103 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:43:13 pm »
I'm in, having missed it last year.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #104 on: 16 April, 2014, 08:23:57 am »
I am in, looks like it will be nice and sunny all day :-)

« Reply #105 on: 16 April, 2014, 08:30:40 am »
Wind from NE, like, IIRC, it was two years ago. Probably the best direction - bit of a slog to KL, but then some help on the final leg(s). On that occasion, I got a tow to KL as well :thumbsup:

« Reply #106 on: 16 April, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
Having woken up in Hinchingbroke hospital last Saturday after a viral attack and Total Global Amnesia, ( I drove 60 miles from Stowmarket to Wyboston and cannot remember anything ) I hope to be across the road at the station this Saturday to complete the ride, last year gout in the wrist killed me off by Kings Lynn.

Last one of the unfinished business 200s that I could not complete last year, had a lot of Fen experience since.

« Reply #107 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:29:06 am »
I'm in.  Weather and wind looking good.  GPX already plotted and ready to go.

« Reply #108 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:29:44 am »
Oh yes.  Let's hope its warmer than it was for the 'Old Squit'

« Reply #109 on: 18 April, 2014, 10:48:49 pm »
Train times aren't great. Looks like I'll be arriving with minutes to spare.

« Reply #110 on: 19 April, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »
Fab ride, the ferry was the highlight. Seemed to be a headwind for 90% of the route. There was no-one at the pub to collect the cards, so I guess we post it back? Thanks Richard P and unnamed Audax UK shirted guy for your company until my legs grew tired at 160k, I knew that time i dropped off i definately wasn't getting back on again!

« Reply #111 on: 19 April, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
A decent day at last, Ok SSoST was better. Wind as usual but nothing that had my speed below 15mph and a few spots of rain on the way to Lynn. Good traffic free route. Fast controls  ;D. The run back south was a blast.

Hung around at the pub for an hour after finishing in the hope there would be someone to take the cards but no ones showed up, if I'd hung around any longer I'd have drunk too much energy drink to ride home. Can't complain, it was as it said on the tin.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #112 on: 19 April, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »
Yep, great ride, particularly as most was in the company of Fixillated otp.

« Reply #113 on: 19 April, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »
Yep, great ride, particularly as most was in the company of Fixillated otp.
Thanks for your company, esp. in the flatlands. Although it could have been worse, fortunately
nobody in that village noticed that you were riding with an immigrant.

My second Double Dutch and another very nice day, thanks to Martin and his helper.

Whoever took the train from Moorgate to Finsbury this morning was lucky, on
the way home I tried to use that line to get to Highbury & Islington but wasn't
allowed to.

Martin

« Reply #114 on: 20 April, 2014, 09:25:27 am »
Hung around at the pub for an hour after finishing in the hope there would be someone to take the cards but no ones showed up

you must have been very quick  :o Canardly OTP very kindly manned The George until I arrived at the back of the field (had to attend a rider down who wobbled went over the bars and did a faceplant  :( now recovering in Boston)

I think you all had the wind the right way round, it was mostly behind after Guys Head and seriously behind through purgatory (the looooong section from Crowland to Upwood)

I was able to donate £1 per rider to Help for Heroes at the ferry terminal as their son lost a leg in Afghanistan, they remarked on the civility and co-operation of the riders  :)

sorry you were not treated to the usual Daffs, they were at their best a month ago, and not even out of the ground 2 years ago such are the vageuries of British spring weather. Next year I'm going to re-route the section before Kings Lynn to hopefully take you past some tulips!

« Reply #115 on: 20 April, 2014, 09:41:08 am »
Martin, would you mind posting or Instant Messaging your address so we can send our cards off to you? thanks!

« Reply #116 on: 20 April, 2014, 10:08:10 am »
Magic, will scan them to you later. Txs

« Reply #117 on: 20 April, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
This week happy memories of my visit to Huntingdon, I suppose after amnesia last week which put me in Hinchingbrooke hospital at least I have a memory!

Lots of familiar faces riding yesterday, I was looking forward to it after my enforced layoff last week. Unfinished business from last year when the gout got my wrist, also got the navigation right this time just before Kings Lynn, turning left at Chernobyl. Although planning to take the ferry, I was out of sync with the times so took the road crossing instead.

Headwinds are no problem, I just put down more power, and tailwinds on the flat provided the opportunity to open up. Definitely not one of my Lanterne Rouge rides.

The Fens are very scenic in their own way, I suppose having been brought up on a farm things seem familiar. Enjoyed the abbey and fine churches on the route, the triple bridge was one of the strangest constructions I have seen. Healthy option bacon cheeseburger at Spalding, where I was caught by the Norwich Velo trio for the fourth or fifth time that day. When they passed me later standing next to a field over a small bridge they were worried I might have had another amnesia attack, fortunately just a comfort break.

Still reasonably strong to the finish at the George, in at 11 hours 15 minutes, a quick sign in whilst admiring the young ladies from the wedding reception, then off home. McDonalds on the way and the whole bar of fruit and nut kept as emergency rations. Very tired last night but happy to have now completed all five rides that were DNF or DNS last year, I do not like loose ends.

Expect to see some of you on Green and Yellow Fields next week, will pass on the curry after my recent problems. 

« Reply #118 on: 20 April, 2014, 11:14:27 am »
Thanks Richard P and unnamed Audax UK shirted guy for your company...

If he was on a red fixed bike with rusty chain, then it was Roly, not OTP I believe. I stuck with him much of the way to Kings Lynn and a little bit after the ferry. It was this 'wot dun me in' as I'd promised myself to start slowly, plod a bit and finish in good order - I did quite the opposite. As it was, I had a great run up to Kings Lynn+ but suffered terribly for the last 95km, bonking completely at Kings Ripton. As I passed through Thorney I espied a comfortable looking park bench in front of a little green - thanks to the yellow-shirted rider who berated me as he passed (something like "Come on now; there's no time for that!") which prompted me to get going again.

Thanks, Martin, for a great ride, and thanks to the chap at the George (Canardly?) for sorting out the Brevets. BTW, did anyone actually submit a Greggs Bakers (in March) receipt that had Newcastle-upon-Tyne as the address (I subsequently went into the Tesco Express to get Snickers+proper receipt, just in case)?

« Reply #119 on: 20 April, 2014, 01:26:41 pm »
I'm sure that anyone riding via Newcastle-upon-Tyne would have done enough miles to qualify.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #120 on: 20 April, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »
Some photos:

Martin at the start:

With each brevet card was an Easter bunny, a nice touch!

We (Fixillated and myself) arrived at the ferry with seconds to spare

This morning I found this in my rear tyre, lucky it lasted the ride yesterday I guess.

Looking forward to the challenge of my first 300 next week...

« Reply #121 on: 20 April, 2014, 02:09:30 pm »
Started a bit late due to a dodgy tum, and suffered from a couple of punctures, on new tyres  >:( but apart from that had a very good day indeed  :)

Maybe it's the lack of hills but this ride seems more sociable than most of the 200's I've done. Noticed this last year and yesterday provided confirmation with many conversations and 'hello's all the way round.

Cool weather to start and a quick run to March where a trip to Greggs beat my stomach issues into submission with the mighty cudgel of two sausage rolls. A good run to Kings Lynn apart from puncture #1 outside Nordelph. Thanks to the many riders who asked if everything was OK and the man across the road who came out of his house to offer water and support! Norwich Velo provided much entertainment in the queue for the ferry and after a short trip across the river it was on to a busy Spalding for some refreshment from the (very good) snack van. The weather had picked up significantly by this point as attested to by my burnt nose this morning. Final run in was fairly quick with some side/tail wind and I bumped into quite a few riders including Norwich Velo for the tenth time that day and Big Saxon admiring the triple bridge.

On paper this appears to be an easy ride but the wind makes it a different story. I'm also used to hilly terrain so sitting in the saddle and constantly pedalling, no uphill or downhill to break things up is a challenge for me.

Many thanks to Martin and Helper(s) for their work in putting this ride together. It's an excellent ride, well worth doing for the unusual scenery alone.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #122 on: 20 April, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »
A very nice day out. As others have mentioned wind plays a big factor on this ride but it was never really strong enough to make the outbound leg to Kings Lynn overly tough.

The day started badly for me with the GPS refusing to start and me not having a paper copy of the routesheet (Sod's Law really given my recent post on here re the virtues of GPS  ::-)). So I was left with a decision to either abandon or just tag along with a group and feel my way round. I was very familiar with the route out to March and back from Spalding so figured worst outcome would just be figure out the rest as I go. As it happened, I tagged along with a couple of shifting groups until just before March where I shared the work with a couple of Sudbury CC chaps and some 200k noobs. A quick stop in March saw the same group work together to Kings Lynn with myself and the Sudbury chaps doing the lions share of the lead out.

Once in Kings Lynn myself and the noobs (Bruce and Pet, notp) decided to go for the ferry and Sudbury CC chose the road. We got to the ferry for 12.35 to catch the 12.40 crossing but the little boat decided it was going to not bother with the timetable and sat annoyingly across the river for another 20 mins before deciding we were worthy of passage! So, our crossing took around 25 mins on total... little annoyed but hey, no rush.

The next stage was in and out of the now quite strong wind whipping of the coast but after the info we turned south and headed briskly to Spalding, taking the chance to enjoy a 15 min diversion to check out the fantastic working windmill at Moulton (cue much hilarity when Pet wondered out loud where the water supplying the mill came from.... er, it's a WINDmill....  ::-) ;D).

Once in Spalding I had to eat - I had done 90% of the work on the front and needed food. A quick stop there and we headed out to Crowland. Favourite part of the route for me, a decent tail / side wind and a lovely run along the drainage canals (reverse of last year's LEL route) to Crowland, although we did get a reminder of the strength of the wind on the 400m stretch into Crowland. Slightly into the wind again to Thorney and then an easy if uninspiring run through Whittlesey (where we caught an passed the Sudbury chaps), Pondersbridge through to Upwood. Bruce had started to feel the exertions of his first 200 over this leg and our pace was easy with me often going off the front and having to drop back to pick them up.

We got back to the George at exactly 18.00 so I thought a decent run, made a little slower by the delay in the ferry crossing and looking around the windmill. Nice to help some newbies through and they were thoroughly impressed with the whole Audax thing so I reckon we will definately see those guys again.

Lovely route and thanks to Martin and Canardly and a lovely and social day out.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #123 on: 20 April, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »
On the ride over from Cambridge to the start, I was passed on the busway by Flatlander, and I thought I would see if I could hang on to his wheel, just for a little bit. In less than a mile, he had shaken me off and disappeared into the distance!

With the wind in the northeast, I found it very hard work to Kings Lynn. Some riders may be able to "just put down more power", but when the headwind blows like that, mile after mile, I got nothing! At least with hills you eventually get to the top! I put my head right down and hung on to some generous wheels and then when I couldn't hang on any more I stopped and hunted in my pannier for something to eat. I always find morale difficult to keep up in a headwind, especially since there's a tempting train home to Cambridge from King's Lynn.

River Nene (old course) near Benwick. (29 km)

Binnimoor Fen, east of March. (44 km)

It was a good opportunity to try out the panorama feature on my phone: there's no better way to capture the relentless bleakness and flatness of the fens:

Upwell Fen near Christchurch. (54 km)

I do like the run-in to Kings Lynn from Stowbridge. The high bank of the Great Ouse provides some protection from the wind, and as you cycle along you can contemplate the fact that the road runs more or less along the zero contour, and many square kilometres of farmland in Marshland Fen to the west are below sea level. Then you cross the Great Ouse and, a couple of kilometres later, the flood relief channel (begun after the great floods of 1953 and completed in 1964). On the Great Ouse there was a pair of great crested grebes doing their courtship dance—each one bobbing its head in turn.

Wiggenhall St Germans. (77 km)

Great Ouse relief channel near Saddle Bow. (79 km)

At Kings Lynn I resisted the temptation to have a sit down and instead bought a baguette to eat while waiting for the ferry. I was lucky with the timing—I only had to wait about five minutes, and soon I was in West Lynn. I looked at the clock as I set out again from the ferry car park: it was 13:00, so I had averaged only 17 km/hour for the first five hours.

Waiting for the ferry to West Lynn. (85 km)

There was a tailwind as far as Sutton Bridge, but then there was some difficult riding on the top of the dike at Guy's Head with the wind blowing straight off the North Sea. It was a huge relief to make the turn at Holbeach St Matthew and finally put the wind behind me for good.

Lighthouse at Guys Head, north of Sutton Bridge on the Nene Outfall Cut. (105 km)

River Welland near Crowland. (154 km)

I didn't take many photos in the latter half of the ride: with the wind at my back I was keen to make progress, and in any case there's hardly anything to see after Thorney: just mile after mile of dead-straight and boring B1040. I ate my last twix at Ramsey St Mary's, and then it was up into the "hills" north of Huntingdon—the high point is at 44 m near Sapley, but this seems quite exciting after 150 km below the 10 m contour line!

At the George I ate a bowl of chips and chatted to a couple of audaxers who had come down from Sutton Coldfield, and then it was back on the busway to Cambridge. Along the way I surprised an unwary heron, and saw a barn owl sweeping low over the meadows.

A good ride—thanks to Martin for organizing it. I hope the rider who crashed is OK.

Martin

« Reply #124 on: 20 April, 2014, 08:49:47 pm »
Favourite part of the route for me, a decent tail / side wind and a lovely run along the drainage canals (reverse of last year's LEL route) to Crowland

actually LEL is a reverse of MY route; I wuz there first  ;)

BTW, did anyone actually submit a Greggs Bakers (in March) receipt that had Newcastle-upon-Tyne as the address (I subsequently went into the Tesco Express to get Snickers+proper receipt, just in case)?

thanks; haven't checked the cards yet; I did stop there but being Organiser did not bother with receipts.

so far the only answer to the question "trees by canal" (yes I know it's not a canal Gareth!) i've checked is "lots"  ;D that control will probably not be needed next year (as wasn't Ramsey but I wanted to make sure peeps did not use the extremely busy and fast A roads)