Author Topic: Pete Shelley RIP  (Read 1863 times)

essexian

Pete Shelley RIP
« on: 06 December, 2018, 09:39:12 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/dec/06/pete-shelley-lead-singer-of-buzzcocks-dies-at-63

BUGGER!

CBH and I spent some of our best evenings out seeing Pete and his band. Such a shock, so young, so much still to give.

RIP

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Pete Shelley RIP
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:40:24 pm »
 :(

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:51:10 pm »
 :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:14:56 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:17:24 pm »
Never quite sure what happened to my copy of Another Music In a Different Kitchen, but I definitely wore out Autonomy to a shiny surface for sure! Loved that song.
RIP
Garry Broad

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
Here's a not-so obvious one - the original theme tune to C4's TdF coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSUsw04O6M
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2018, 12:19:07 am »
Here's a not-so obvious one - the original theme tune to C4's TdF coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSUsw04O6M

Before my time, cycling interest-wise, but those are nice bikes!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2018, 05:49:21 am »
 :(

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:42:16 am »

Didnt realise that was him. I love the current TdF tune but that one was great as well I had forgotten about it. The bikes looked better then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:49:51 am »
I had vaguely heard that that theme tune was by him.

I remember seeing the Buzzcocks about 1990 (I guess they must have reformed or something) in what was then called the Studio in Bristol. He was old but still full of energy, bouncing around the stage. And now all of a sudden he wasn't very old to have died.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:02:32 am »
I had vaguely heard that that theme tune was by him.

I remember seeing the Buzzcocks about 1990 (I guess they must have reformed or something) in what was then called the Studio in Bristol. He was old but still full of energy, bouncing around the stage. And now all of a sudden he wasn't very old to have died.

Old!!!???!!  He was 35!!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:07:39 am »
Old in punk terms and well over 150% of my age at the time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:59:45 am »

Didnt realise that was him. I love the current TdF tune but that one was great as well I had forgotten about it. The bikes looked better then.
that's an interesting link to Paul Sherwen's recent death (at almost exactly the same age).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:47:41 pm »

It was a great set.
It is simpler than it looks.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2018, 02:43:59 am »
He appears now to be known best for his song "Ever Fallen in Love...etc"

One of my favourite duvet and cocoa mood films about 'trans' is called "Different for Girls". A bit dated now, but one or two of the lines are first class, and overall it does well at what it sets out to do. It can be found on YouTube for free. Straight man falls for old school friend who is now post-transition. Man is a punk fan, and takes woman out for a gig, and said gig is the Buzzcocks, with a performance of that song. The choice of song is for obvious reasons.

The film also features scenes with Ian Dury, playing a repo man, and has a sound track that also includes Splodgenessabounds and the Only Ones, with a cameo appearance by a certain Mr Tudor-Pole as a lawyer. Mr Shelley's performance is everything you should expect. I will try and find the link when I am not at work.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i