Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016  (Read 61307 times)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« on: 25 January, 2016, 08:11:47 am »
I have just registered for this.  Insanity since I have been off my bike for several months but time to work towards being able to do this.  Anyone else going?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:02:49 am »
Me, although I've not booked a ferry or registered yet.

"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:51:09 am »
Me, although I've not booked a ferry or registered yet.

Hallo Gallo!

So if I can regain fitness it shall be this.

You are not allowed to detour to the gelateria in Vaals? I shall speak with the organiser!

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:01:38 am »
Bairdy's Rolling Roadblock of Rock will be patrolling the Belgian borders, any requests for tunes on the ipod must reach me no later than two weeks before the start of the ride.
Hallo Gallo is already on the playlist.
              Up to my neck in pain"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:25:35 am »
here's the web page, to save people doing the googling I just did

http://bordersofbelgium2016en.weebly.com/registration-page.html

and the old thread on yacf

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=83654.0

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:07:18 am »
I am considering triding this on 3 wheels rather than 2.  Has anyone had any experience of trying to take tikes onto ferries?  Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:04:37 am »
Ferries are the lesser problem if you plan on using a trike. The route consists of a lot of converted railroads, nicely flat but with barriers preventing cars driving on them. On 2-wheels these barriers can be a nuisance, on a 3 wheels they are a problem.
A superb route but beware the Ardennes, make sure you have a nice time buffer before you enter the Ardennes.

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:47:45 am »
Looks like a great route. Unfortunately I can't fit this in this year ... how frequently is it run - every 2 years or whenever ?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »
Bairdy's Rolling Roadblock of Rock will be patrolling the Belgian borders, any requests for tunes on the ipod must reach me no later than two weeks before the start of the ride.

Something from The Boys Town Gang.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:21:45 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTodWgXp4q4

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »
That's what I was thinking of........Right up Bairdys' street.

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2016, 05:48:47 pm »
Looks like a great route. Unfortunately I can't fit this in this year ... how frequently is it run - every 2 years or whenever ?

3rd edition now, I gave it a try in 2012, Jedrik rode it in 2014 and now it's on again. So indeed, every 2 years.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:46:34 pm »

Bairdy's Rolling Roadblock of Rock (not Cock!)
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:27:54 am »

I wonder if Belgium's ready for this ? ;D

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:44:26 am »
Don't forget your hat, cowboy.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:51:37 am »

I wonder if Belgium's ready for this ? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tBuPTn3Mk   :demon:
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:21:05 am »
Ferries are the lesser problem if you plan on using a trike. The route consists of a lot of converted railroads, nicely flat but with barriers preventing cars driving on them. On 2-wheels these barriers can be a nuisance, on a 3 wheels they are a problem.
A superb route but beware the Ardennes, make sure you have a nice time buffer before you enter the Ardennes.

In 2014, 2 velomobiles showed up at the starting line. Gabriële Patzner and a fellow German. The guy (I think his name is Hajo) made in 47.5 hours and was the second finisher. Gabriële had it difficult in the Ardennes, but finished extremely well in just under 71 hours. Neither gave remarks about difficulties to pass any barriers.
Needless to mention that both of them were very well prepared and riding a velomobile is a habit for them.
I ride a ICE trike but not that much. I did a 200 last year and that went well, but I will be thinking twice about riding the Borders of Belgium with my trike. Maybe on a 2-wheeled recumbent (like 4 other riders in 2014)...

« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:03:50 pm »
Gabi discussed the Ardennes part of the route with me as a preparation. One of the themes of the discussion was where the barriers are located so she could prepare a detour for that part. But most of the tricky parts she had done before so she knew the critical oints ;).

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:58:34 pm »
Just signed up for the back to basics version. Have booked accommodation in B+Bs at 500km and 800km areas. Haven't worked out travel to the start but will probably by Eurostar with a local train to Ghent or closer.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:42:42 am »

In 2014, 2 velomobiles showed up at the starting line. Gabriële Patzner and a fellow German. The guy (I think his name is Hajo) made in 47.5 hours and was the second finisher. Gabriële had it difficult in the Ardennes, but finished extremely well in just under 71 hours. Neither gave remarks about difficulties to pass any barriers.
Needless to mention that both of them were very well prepared and riding a velomobile is a habit for them.
I ride a ICE trike but not that much. I did a 200 last year and that went well, but I will be thinking twice about riding the Borders of Belgium with my trike. Maybe on a 2-wheeled recumbent (like 4 other riders in 2014)...
From what has been said the route can obviously be done on a trike but there are questions about whether this is wise of efficient.  I have posted about this elsewhere since I do not wish to derail the thread.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95641.msg1982781#msg1982781 many thanks for c ontributions thus far.
L

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2016, 06:09:09 pm »
Might go, seems like a bargain @ €10, I'll have to ride to the start and back though. Good job it starts in the north.

Dut,du,du...Dut,du,du...Cruising the streets.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2016, 06:36:38 pm »
If my plans to be fitter and faster work out, I'll do this.
The website says entry is possible until the last minute but the hotel booking option is limited to 20 riders. But the "back to basics" version would suit me more anyway as i'd prefer the breaks to be at distances different from those offered. So i'll make my own bookings.
This will be my big audax of the year, and i hope the trans-Norway ride to NordKapp will give me the endurance - the increase in speed is a different matter :facepalm:.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:28:59 pm »
I had an email from the organiser last night saying he has still got accommodation available but I think I will stick to my plans of staying in B+Bs at 490km and 800km which actually works out at th same cost and no sharing....

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:56:13 pm »
Might go, seems like a bargain @ €10, I'll have to ride to the start and back though. Good job it starts in the north.

Dut,du,du...Dut,du,du...Cruising the streets.

Aunt Maud taking the Wendy House option?
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:34:32 am »
Just spotted this. Is there a posse cycling over then (if enough to make one)?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!