Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 441368 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1325 on: 16 March, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »
Good work citoyen. No Park Run for me this week because I rode the Shaftesbury 110, and next weekend I'll be marshalling. However, did about 23 mile / 37 km today in the morning sunshine in 2¾ hrs :thumbsup:. The result of which was a 3 kg drop in body mass. Oops.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1326 on: 16 March, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »
i am impressed with everyone's efforts here, keep up good work!! my last run was on the 11th of january, haven't been running since i was knocked off the bike (while cycling to a parkrun!). i'm really missing these saturday morning runs, great fun they are. planning to get back into running in late summer/autumn.
in the meantime i'll carry on reading of your achievements here and am wishing you all the best in your challenges!

« Reply #1327 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:11:23 am »
I did the timing at BSE parkrun.
Although the other volunteers were lovely, and welcoming, I found it a really depressing experience. I feel like I'll never be able to run it again. Even standing round with a stop watch (intermittently calling 'well done' to those who looked like they'd appreciate it) hurt my knee. I was worried the 'boss' would make me walk round the course and pick up markers, I'm not sure I could have managed it.

Anyway, interesting fact from the other side of the finish tape (Pippa & Els take note) the first 4 ladies to finish were all wearing makeup- lippy, mascara, eyeliner, the works. Well, maybe not a full face, but obvious make up. The other 34 ladies were not. Now, correlation does not equal causation, but it's certainly thought provoking. None of the men were, maybe we'd have had a sub 18 minute finisher if they had?
The course has been a mud fest since about October, and this week dried out a lot, so as well as the undoubted pleasure of Nowton Park in full daffodil glory, there were a lot of PBs achieved.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1328 on: 17 March, 2014, 05:33:54 pm »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1329 on: 17 March, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »
Parkrun looks interesting but I'd need to get over to Coventry or Northampton for it.   I might consider registering and going once a month to monitor my progress.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1330 on: 23 March, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
This morning I did my first half marathon; the Richmond 13.1. The most stressful part was getting to the start as SouthWest Trains cancelled the service from Waterloo. Thanks guys. However, a train to Kew Bridge & then a taxi saved the day by 20 mins. The race went well, despite almost being beaten by a guy dressed as a banana. I'm waiting for official timings, but somewhere around 1:24. The most painful part was the sports massage straight after the run from one of the St. Mary's students!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1331 on: 23 March, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
This morning I did my first half marathon; the Richmond 13.1. The most stressful part was getting to the start as SouthWest Trains cancelled the service from Waterloo. Thanks guys. However, a train to Kew Bridge & then a taxi saved the day by 20 mins. The race went well, despite almost being beaten by a guy dressed as a banana. I'm waiting for official timings, but somewhere around 1:24. The most painful part was the sports massage straight after the run from one of the St. Mary's students!

That's a very respectable time.  Chapeau.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1332 on: 23 March, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
All the training paid off.  11th place in the Sussex Coast Marathon  :smug:.  Sadly there were a couple of other fit 45+ year olds so didn't get the age group prize, despite posting a time that would have won it the last two years.  Have decided will continue to do trail running - much more fun that plodding around towns and parks - and running on slippery grass in the middle of a hailstorm reminds me of all those magic Audax moments  ;D.

Full account is here

http://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/a-long-distance-cyclist-turns-to-running/

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1333 on: 23 March, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »
Good run CET. That's quite an achievement on only 1 run a week. The near even splits showed that it worked for you.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1334 on: 23 March, 2014, 07:09:08 pm »
Impressive stuff, guys.

I suspect CET would be a fair bit faster on 3 runs a week, but where's the need if you're enjoying it, and can finish the events you enjoy?  :thumbsup:

Adamski: that 1:24 puts you right in the zone for a sub-3h 'proper' run. go-on go-on go-on go-on ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1335 on: 23 March, 2014, 10:50:38 pm »
Respect due, adamski & CET. Very impressed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1336 on: 24 March, 2014, 06:17:38 am »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1337 on: 27 March, 2014, 12:09:47 pm »
Respect due, adamski & CET. Very impressed.

very impressive indeed. great to see someone putting in effort and getting results!

and for a bit of inspiration:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/26580088

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1338 on: 30 March, 2014, 02:37:55 pm »
What with work getting in the way, I've been stuck in week 3 of C25K for ages, and only able to stagger round once a week.  However, today I managed the first week 4 run without dropping off to a walk on either of the 5 minute sections.  I still needed the inhaler when I got home though, but I think I'm slowly beating this bloody asthma - or at least training my system such that it's less bothersome, which is why I started this in the first place.

So, I'm still not a runner, but I am still running…   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1339 on: 02 April, 2014, 08:52:04 am »
First run post the Sussex Coast Marathon.  Decided to venture off-road as it had been so dry and the first path was a legacy of the January storms - requiring some advanced scrambling to get past fallen trees and navigate still-swampy ground.  However, soon got better conditions.  Saw several groups of deer including a muntjac, and hammered along the tarmac stretch of Newnham Lane.  The minority of nutters in cars are just as inconsiderate of runners as they are of cyclists.  Just over 9 miles.  ;D

« Reply #1340 on: 02 April, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »
Just over 9 miles.  ;D

You should be in fine fettle for the Hard Boiled. I always find getting back in to audaxing after winter running is a lot easier that the reverse in Autumn.

« Reply #1341 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:12:14 am »
Jantastic update:

It's over and YACF are the 19th of 303 "small team" (6-10 runners) with a score of 94.8% based on our top-three-quarters of runners in the team, which seems pretty good. Our top scorers were Adamski and SwissHat with 99.9% and 99.6%. For some reason jokers aren't showing up on our team stats although I know we played a few between us. I tailed off a bit towards the end of March which dragged the score down a bit, but Jantastic certainly provided good motivation to get out the door in the wet January we had. http://www.jantastic.me/runners-teams/
Nice summary, thanks Oranj.
I tailed off also, mainly because of The Dean 300.  For March it would have been better to set my target to 2/week instead of 3.  Otherwise found Jantastic a good motivator also.  Continuity will come from parkrun on Saturdays.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1342 on: 03 April, 2014, 01:06:03 pm »
Well done all yacf jantastic types :D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1343 on: 04 April, 2014, 06:24:24 am »
Well done, Jantasticos.

I've not done much running over the last couple of weeks for one reason or another, and I've not logged what I've done on Jantastic, but that's because I've been preoccupied with other things. I'm slightly surprised at how motivational it has actually been. I may even do it again next year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1344 on: 05 April, 2014, 11:26:28 am »
A fantastic ParkRun this morning, partly because I hadn't done a 10 km run beforehand, resulted in a sub 18 minute PB. Happy happy.

« Reply #1345 on: 05 April, 2014, 11:39:06 am »
A fantastic ParkRun this morning, partly because I hadn't done a 10 km run beforehand, resulted in a sub 18 minute PB. Happy happy.
Impressive!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1346 on: 13 April, 2014, 07:02:29 am »
############# GO ADAMSKI!!! ###############

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1347 on: 13 April, 2014, 01:26:00 pm »
############# GO ADAMSKI!!! ###############

HE'S DONE IT, HE'S DONE IT!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Top effort!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1348 on: 13 April, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »
:) :) Now in the pub.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1349 on: 13 April, 2014, 04:44:05 pm »
Photo from Mile 6:

Could someone photoshop me my missing tooth into the correct place? (Red t-shirt, black shorts, white cap & no front tooth!) The original image is here. Ta.