Author Topic: Blood Clot on my Lung  (Read 2252 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Blood Clot on my Lung
« on: 30 May, 2022, 04:02:19 pm »
Didn't want it and certainly didn't ask for it but nonetheless I have it!

I'm currently having to self-inject blood thinners until I get some more blood test results, once I have these the hospital will be able to determine which tablets I should take.

My question is how long should I leave it before cycling with a decent amount of effort again?

Anyone have any experience in this matter?

This happened last Sunday/ Monday, so I'm a week in, and at this moment in time I don't feel too bad. The pain I was experiencing has all but gone but I don't want to jump straight back on the bike and cause any more issues.

Re: Blood Clot on my Lung
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2022, 04:28:22 pm »
Ask your doctor. A similar thing (clot travelling from calf to lung) nearly killed my sister - had she not been at work (she's a nurse) when she collapsed she'd likely have died.

GWS
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:23:05 pm »
Any idea what caused it?  Do you have a heart murmur, have you just been on a long flight etc?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:24:19 pm »
GWS. Nasty things, blood clots. My brother has had a couple of DVTs and his wife also had a clot on her lung at one time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:36:11 pm »
Asked the consultant plus doctor whilst at the hospital and both said do what I feel comfortable with but to keep it low level. No ideas as to cause just yet and additional blood tests are being undertaken to try and ascertain this. No Long haul flights but I did go to Portugal way back in March so that’s been ruled out.

I have a flight to the east coast US in early July and the consultant said this would probably be ok however my preference is not to go but my wife agrees with the consultant (probably because she doesn’t want to drive over there) and I’m really not comfortable with the thought of flying at the moment.

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:40:05 pm »
GWS.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:55:55 pm »
You can get blood clots from long drives as well, indeed any long period sat around not moving much.

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2022, 08:00:31 pm »
There are a number of problems.

1. your lungs have taken a battering from the clot and will take time to recover.  You may well have a perfusion/aeration mismatch where the bits of lung being supplied with blood don't get much oxygen and vice vets so that will limit your physical activity.

2. Your lungs have taken a battering and just because you cannot see them, it does not mean that they will not need time to heal. Just like a broken bone.

The blood thinners at this stage probably make you very susceptible to bleeding with the slightest scratch.

Personally if it was my lungs I think I would stick to low heart rate spinning on the turbo until things settle down.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2022, 08:54:04 pm »
Did you have Covid at any stage? It's known to increase risk of clots, even if mild.
You might find a pulse oximeter a useful device to guide your exertion; I would not recommend allowing saturation below 94% or a heart rate over 110, which means taking things easy.

Get well soon!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:14:32 am »
GWS
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #10 on: 31 May, 2022, 10:49:25 am »
Did you have Covid at any stage? It's known to increase risk of clots, even if mild.
You might find a pulse oximeter a useful device to guide your exertion; I would not recommend allowing saturation below 94% or a heart rate over 110, which means taking things easy.

Get well soon!
Don’t think I’ve had COVID, or rather whenever I’ve tested they’ve always come back negative. Have ordered a pulse oximeter which should come today - thanks for the pointer.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2022, 10:52:03 am »
BTW, thank you for the GWS messages.

JJ

« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2022, 11:25:41 am »
Take a lot of care Gibbo!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2022, 02:00:51 pm »

Get well soon!
Don’t think I’ve had COVID, or rather whenever I’ve tested they’ve always come back negative. Have ordered a pulse oximeter which should come today - thanks for the pointer.

Better get two from different sources and average the readings - they're not too accurate.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2022, 02:06:18 pm »
I advise using them frequently, so you get to know your readings.

If you get a low reading, take several gentle deep breaths and another reading.

GWS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2022, 04:05:44 pm »
Not knowing you , but looking at your photo you are white as far as I can tell? If not, take pulse ox readings with a pinch of salt, darker skin can lower the readings.

And GWS.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2022, 08:04:44 am »
Had the oximeter for a few days now and looking at the trend I seem to be around 98 - 100 plus my pulse is around 58 - 62 at rest which I know to be about right from previous tests. Not done any cycling for over 1.5 weeks  ::-) and I think I’m going to wait until I get the latest blood test results back before I jump back on the bike.

I also am getting used to doing the injections but can’t wait until this particular episode is over and I can swap over to tablets.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 02 June, 2022, 02:53:15 pm »
98-100 is fine, obviously.

Are there stairs at home? What happens when you climb them?

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #18 on: 02 June, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »
98-100 is fine, obviously.

Are there stairs at home? What happens when you climb them?
3 times up and down = 99 & 117bpm. 2 mins after = 99 & 61.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 02 June, 2022, 03:14:29 pm »
I think you'd be OK with gentle cycling.

You are not desaturating. Acceleration is normal.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2022, 03:19:41 pm »
I think you'd be OK with gentle cycling.

You are not desaturating. Acceleration is normal.
Thanks 😊