Author Topic: Garmin Edge 800 and Bike mounting  (Read 1591 times)

Garmin Edge 800 and Bike mounting
« on: 23 October, 2012, 11:35:43 am »
I have just purchased an Edge 800, just arrived this morning.  I have noticed that there is no lanyard nor and means of attaching one.  I always have the lanyard attached to the bike on my current Etrex just in case the mount lets go or gets knocked in a tumble etc.  It seems that this extra protection is not available on the Edge.  Anyone got any ideas or don't I need it?
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Garmin Edge 800 and Bike mounting
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2012, 04:36:46 pm »
You don't need it.

The quarter-turn bayonet mount is perfectly solid.
Bear in mind it's only holding a very light  overly-ostentacious-wristwatch sized device, not a 1980s mobile phone sized brick.

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »
I took delivery of an Edge 800 last week, beforehand I was pretty worried about attaching the mount with with rubber bands etc, but I have to say having fixed it to both the bike and the ICE trike, I'm impressed just how solid the fixing is. That said I did keep checking it all day when I was out on bumpy roads on Sunday ! but it was fine. 
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2012, 08:55:42 pm »
Sounds like the same way that the edge 200 is attached to the bars mine is rock solid

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2012, 11:19:25 pm »
All that said - I've always used an Etrex 'brick' with a lanyard - but have never actually needed it.  I've seen plenty of other people drop their GPSs but to my mind that says more about the person than it does about the Garmin
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2012, 08:18:10 am »
Thanks guys.  That puts my mind at rest.

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »
All that said - I've always used an Etrex 'brick' with a lanyard - but have never actually needed it.  I've seen plenty of other people drop their GPSs but to my mind that says more about the person than it does about the Garmin

I use a lanyard when walking - round my neck if the Etrex is in my shirt pocket, or round the belt if using the belt clip. The latter use certainly saved me leaving the Etrex halfway up a mountain on one occasion.  Yes, says more about my incompetence than the belt clip design :)

I also use the lanyard looped around the handlebars on the bike following advice on this group.  Even if it no longer jumps out of the current bar mount design, it makes it just a bit more fiddly for any oportunist thief to remove when my back is turned.

Bryn

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2012, 09:05:46 am »
I have fitted the Edge 800 to the bike and everything seems to be working OK.  However, it seems that the Speed/Cadence sensor is a bit vulnerable.  I have put it on top of the chain stay as per the instructions but I am wondering if it might be better underneath the chain stay.  Any thoughts and experience on this?

Thanks