Author Topic: following a route logged on the garmin?  (Read 1348 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
following a route logged on the garmin?
« on: 15 September, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
I basically followed someone yesterday to harlesden. The route was tracked on my garmin 800 and was quite complicated.

How do I follow that route again as its about 2-3 miles shorter than my usual route home - is there someway to load it on the map without a pc?

Also how do I save it?

thanks

Re: following a route logged on the garmin?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2015, 12:05:22 pm »
Go to 'Courses' in the menu, then 'Create new course' - then the recorded rides appear in date order - find the one you want to convert into a course - 'press it' and it takes you to the detail screen - press the 'green tick' at the bottom of the screen - it then takes you to a screen for you to rename the course to a suitable name(remove the 'New Course' letters first words) - then press the 'green tick' at the bottom - it then puts the course into your courses file.

I use it if I like any of our local group rides.

I you want turn by turn navigation go to Courses and select the ride (press it) before 'pressing GO' press the 'spanner' and ensure 'Turn Guidance' is turned on.

Hope this works - I find the thing more than a little frustrating as the manual is not very useful IMO.

R.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »
Go to 'Courses' in the menu, then 'Create new course' - then the recorded rides appear in date order - find the one you want to convert into a course - 'press it' and it takes you to the detail screen - press the 'green tick' at the bottom of the screen - it then takes you to a screen for you to rename the course to a suitable name(remove the 'New Course' letters first words) - then press the 'green tick' at the bottom - it then puts the course into your courses file.

I use it if I like any of our local group rides.

I you want turn by turn navigation go to Courses and select the ride (press it) before 'pressing GO' press the 'spanner' and ensure 'Turn Guidance' is turned on.

Hope this works - I find the thing more than a little frustrating as the manual is not very useful IMO.

R.

thanks worked a treat, just need to try it to get home!

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
Glad it worked O.K.

Does anybody know if it is possible to reverse a course ?

I can't find a way to do the return trip - it should be simple - Ahh but of course its a Garmin !

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:56:07 am »
This is ‘user error’. Or more specifically, a lack of navigation/orienteering knowledge.

If you intend to return to the point where you started, create a Favourite there before you start the outward journey. Create Favourites at convenient cafés along the route.

When you wish to go to any of the cafes or the place where you started, display the map and the Favourites will be shown as gold stars. Tap on a gold star and its name will appear. Then tap ‘Position Option’ and ‘Navigate To’. A route will be created to take you there.

:thumbsup: