Author Topic: Electric bikes  (Read 22332 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Electric bikes
« Reply #75 on: 03 November, 2015, 03:14:28 pm »
And, in the meantime, I need to sort out a bottom bracket removal tool but have no idea which one I need. Sigh.

Standard Shimano one, I think.  I'm reasonably sure I had barakta's BB out to fail[1] to attempt to install the Falco crank rotation sensor, before mounting it backwards on the left side (where there's loads of room and much less oily stuff), and until recently[2] the only BB tool I've had is one like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-bottom-bracket-tool-shimano

[1] It just fouled the chainring bolts.
[2] New mountain bike has Hollowtech.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #76 on: 03 November, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
That is helpful thanks. Do I use it with a normal spanner then or something?

James and I did this before when we changed the chainring so nice the Trice Q but he has the toolkit and it was 6 years ago so I don't remember much about it...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 03 November, 2015, 03:27:52 pm »
That is helpful thanks. Do I use it with a normal spanner then or something?

Cranks off; BB tool fits over the spindle; big spanner; a bit of welly; a bit of googling to discover which side has a widdershins thread; a bit more welly in the right direction.  Do the same on the other side and you're done.

Top tip: The advantage of a recumbent is that you can sit in the seat and apply huge amount of force by 'pedalling' the spanner to free a stuck BB.  DAHIKT.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #78 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:49:06 am »
I have just done this - you want the shimano BB removal tool and a crank puller. The BB nut on the Chain side is removed clockwise - and possibly very stiff. I had to take mine to the LBS and get them to use the long-arm spanner  to get it out.
I have now got Mrs Tigers hybrid bike with a 500w BB Bafang motor and 15ah rack battery setup. Weighs a ton of course. But - just took it out for the dog exercise round Richmond Park and even limited to 'level 5 assist' (out of possible 9) it does 25mph which is the dogs maximum sprint. If I set the controller to 9 I expect it would be off to prison! Plus probably rip the back wheel off.
Goes uphill as fast as anything too.
Only drawback is its weight due to the battery being huge - I think I may regret that in time as its is more power than I probably want. But it does give a huge range.
Interesting too that it provides alternative power either from pedal assist or directly via a thumb throttle.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #79 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:58:18 pm »
Well, I call that a learning curve. the rack batt makes the bike basically unsafe. It acts like a huge lever at he back and all the force is concentrated through the weak mixte geometry, leading to the bike frame flexing like spaghetti and the bars wobbling uncontrollably. Hard to control and not rideable single handed. Back to the drawing board. Going to switch to my 29er frame which is stronger and exchange the batt for a bottle battery which being central and lower should not cause so much problems.
Shed now full of bikes in stages of stripdown and rebuild, and becoming LBS best customer.

« Reply #80 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:23:21 pm »
I'm now able to average 16.7MPH on my commute. It's 8.1 miles and not at all flat. If I cut back to 15MPH, I'm a lot less tired and sweaty on arrival. Taking the car takes me about 30 mins and is horrible and I have a 10-minute walk to/from the car, so the bike is a win-win for me. I still have the horrible front forks, but getting hold of some threaded 1 1/8" disc-compatible suspension forks ain't easy. The BB7 is a revelation after the crappy original front brake.

Woosh have a new bike out, the Karoo, which is almost everything I'd be looking for in an e-bike. The only fly in the ointment is that the top speed doesn't seem to be tweakable to anything illegal.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #81 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:41:27 am »
I still have the horrible front forks, but getting hold of some threaded 1 1/8" disc-compatible suspension forks ain't easy.

It would be simpler to just accept having to replace the headset and stem as well, would it not? It might even work out cheaper overall, given the rarity value of forks with threaded steerers.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #82 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:45:17 am »
... getting hold of some threaded 1 1/8" disc-compatible suspension forks ain't easy.

I think I have a disc compatible suspension fork going begging, which may well be 11/8 (depends if I have successfully given it away or not) - will check if you are still interested.

« Reply #83 on: 10 November, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »
Thanks. TBH I'd rather have rigid forks, but the crown on the frame is too large for them. I think.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #84 on: 13 November, 2015, 06:15:26 pm »
Update on my conversion, the initial hybrid mixte having proved a disaster. Crank motor now installed on a Halfords 29er with a bottle battery - Whoosh took back the rack battery and changed it FOC, very good service.
New setup is brill. Suspension forks absorb shock, and lower centre of gravity gives stable ride. Strong frame stays rigid and it rides like a regular bike - but fast and easy. Love it. The 500w motor has huge torque and it powers easily up hills.

« Reply #85 on: 16 November, 2015, 11:46:37 am »
Admittedly with the wind behind me, I averaged 17 MPH this morning. I think it must've been the new thermal bib tights and the Foska skeleton jacket wot did it.

I'm quite happy with 250W. It allows me to do plenty of work if I want to, but to take the strain on hills. Even though it's technically illegal in its current guise, I can make it legal again in a matter of seconds.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #86 on: 20 November, 2015, 06:50:29 am »
My Bafang 8Fun arrived yesterday from China (with a 165,84€ customs and VAT bill, oops) and will be fitted tomorrow probably.

The 12ah battery is very heavy so am reconsidering using the bottle bolts and trying to fit it on the rear triangle somewhere or behind the seat.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #87 on: 20 November, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »
I see CUBE eBikes are available for around £1500 with the Bosch (Bottom Bracket) motor.

That's putting them on my radar for a Motorhome shopping bike.  Until now I'd always been looking at a 50cc Scooter for any Motorhome I bought, but an eBike, some Schwalbe "Big Apples" and my Travoy trailer would be ideal. 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 20 November, 2015, 01:55:12 pm »
The 12ah battery is very heavy so am reconsidering using the bottle bolts and trying to fit it on the rear triangle somewhere or behind the seat.

http://t-cycle.com/accessory-mounting-c-71/accessory-mounts-c-71_73/ice-battery-mount-p-208.html

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #89 on: 21 November, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »
Very nice but $$$

« Reply #90 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:22:19 pm »
This would look good hanging on a wall but not sure about riding it. And as for cleaning the front wheel.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/05/five-things-we-love
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #91 on: 05 December, 2015, 07:32:56 pm »
Very elegant and very very pointless.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #92 on: 06 December, 2015, 02:16:56 pm »
Very elegant and very very pointless.
And illegal to use on UK roads.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #93 on: 06 December, 2015, 08:18:03 pm »
The lady on the solo is riding a Giant e-bike, which she uses to ride with her husband who also rides sportives. She gets 80kms range out of it which quite impressed me since Limousin is not exactly flat and there isn't any recharging on the descents. I have seen them out together since this ride, going up the hills as if they weren't there. This seems to be a fairly common combination in macho french club cycling, sporty husband and wife on an e-bike. It's probably a more accessible form of cycling together than using a tandem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 06 December, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »
I have seen them out together since this ride, going up the hills as if they weren't there. This seems to be a fairly common combination in macho french club cycling, sporty husband and wife on an e-bike. It's probably a more accessible form of cycling together than using a tandem.

Works for barakta and I   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #95 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:02:45 am »
Posh grammar, Kim!  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #96 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:20:33 am »
My limited experience so far of electric bikes (three rides on my trike) is that I don't go much faster but I do arrive not very sweaty! This is a bonus.

My riding partner's comment is that the hills is where he notices the difference. I used to go backwards, now I merely drop back slowly...

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #97 on: 11 December, 2015, 07:34:19 am »
I have now been running my bafang 500w crank drive converted hybrid for a month or so. I am impressed with the performance and battery life. It is now my preferred means of whizzing round town and gets about 15 miles a day every day.
Being a bigger motor I doubt it would do a huge long ride, as it would drain the 15ah battery. But it goes for 2 hours easy.
I think a purpose built Ebike might be smoother, but I quite like the power of my illegal home brew.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #98 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:35:47 am »
I think a purpose built Ebike might be smoother, but I quite like the power of my illegal home brew.

Noes!  Tigerrr is turning into Jeremy Clarkson!

POWWWWWAAAAHHHHH!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #99 on: 11 December, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »
I am thinking about one of these,it looks like this: http://www.giant-lincoln.co.uk/en-gb/bikes/model/road.e.2/24987/90636/ The bike retails at £2300 with Tiagra groupset and a 400 watt battery.I have been a keen cyclist for the last decade or so,but have now developed a heart condition,which is controlled with medication,but I have to keep below 145 bmp fine on the flat,not so good on any steep hills.
So I'm thinking this could keep me sane.There's a more expensive model at £2750 and that's equipped with Ultegra and a 500 watt battery which presumably gives it a greater range.I have hoping to resume riding with my mates and it would be great to have a range of about 100km.