Author Topic: Poor Student 2020  (Read 4371 times)

Re: Poor Student 2020
« Reply #25 on: 05 January, 2020, 06:38:52 pm »
A few pics from the ride.........

Buzzards on a pole after Malmesbury:

View over Compton Abdale (and the climb out the other side):

Salperton Park in the afternoon sunshine:

Phil W

« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2020, 02:25:01 pm »
I saw a Red Kite picking at a (looked fairly fresh) dead rabbit not very far ahead of me up the road. But I’d forgotten to bring my Polaroid cube which hangs on a pendant round neck. So no photos, but a wonderful close up view from the recumbent, before it realised I was approaching and took off.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2020, 03:34:07 pm »
I spotted a few odd looking characters in hi-viz and alike cycling in the opposite direction to me, no doubt heading to the January Sales.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:06:16 pm »
I did spot a red kite too, somewhere on the first stage I think, but I was a bit too slow on the uptake to get a picture.

Now you mention it, I did notice on a few separate occasions, what looked like audax riders coming towards me. At first I thought someone must have left something behind at the control, but that explanation wore a bit thin after a few times!

Near the end. in the dark, I looked behind and saw what looked like a bike headlight gaining on me. But then when I looked again 30 seconds later it had vanished. This happened a few times. Either a very stop-start rider, or some sort of spooky apparition!

Pete

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:54:45 pm »
I spotted about 15 or 16 Red Kites in the air on that second leg but just the one on the ground. But that’s just an advantage / result of the head up position.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:57:19 pm »

Near the end. in the dark, I looked behind and saw what looked like a bike headlight gaining on me. But then when I looked again 30 seconds later it had vanished. This happened a few times. Either a very stop-start rider, or some sort of spooky apparition!

Pete

I had that as well looking in my mirrors, but I just think it was lights from farms that went out of view then came back in as I rolled through the terrain.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2020, 07:58:21 pm »
VERY jealous of the fab weather you folks got!

(If you want to REALLY piss me off, just talk about the distinctive "triangular" tails of the Kites  :facepalm:   !  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles