Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 109289 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #650 on: 30 May, 2024, 11:51:43 am »
Was the squits not a side effect of the diabetes treatment?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #651 on: 01 June, 2024, 10:53:09 am »
Turned out to be a treatable liver infection. He's coming home today  :thumbsup:

Insurance is completely cleared out for diabetes now.  He's going to be an expensive cat.  Also, he's going onto insulin so my daughter gets my place on holiday in July - a neigjbour has offered to inject him but Dumpy doesn't like her (he likes 7 people in the entire world!)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #652 on: 01 June, 2024, 12:03:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #653 on: 01 June, 2024, 01:36:25 pm »
Good news that it is treatable.
neigjbour has offered to inject him
Cats on meds are a real headache.  We have no plans for a holiday, but if we are out of action with illness etc, I think our monster would need to go into a cattery with experience of long term medical problems.
Off to the vets for 6-month check up on Monday. The vet always goes off and tries to get a blood sample then comes back with lacerated hands to tell me she will need to be sedated.
So far Petplan insurance is paying up OK.

« Reply #654 on: 01 June, 2024, 01:46:25 pm »
Good news that it is treatable.
neigjbour has offered to inject him
Cats on meds are a real headache.  We have no plans for a holiday, but if we are out of action with illness etc, I think our monster would need to go into a cattery with experience of long term medical problems.
Off to the vets for 6-month check up on Monday. The vet always goes off and tries to get a blood sample then comes back with lacerated hands to tell me she will need to be sedated.
So far Petplan insurance is paying up OK.
My bold.
Kevlar-lined motorcycle clothing used to work well as protection when it came to spraying my three with Flea Deth.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #655 on: 01 June, 2024, 03:39:30 pm »
Good news it's treatable. Shame the new diabetes thing didn't work out, why are they moving him from that onto insulin, out of interest?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #656 on: 01 June, 2024, 04:05:13 pm »
He developed diarrhoea, which is a known side-effect but should clear up and didn't.  It may have been unrelated but they don't want to take the risk again since he became very ill.

He can't go back on it now he's had injected insulin - it's one of the contraindications.

Update: first feed and insulin injection were easy enough.  He has six different medications at the moment, although that will reduce to just insulin and a liver supplement eventually.

rogerzilla

« Reply #657 on: 03 June, 2024, 09:57:58 pm »
Another update: it turns out he is actually easier than Tigs when it comes to administering tablets.  I thought he'd take my hand off but he swallows them without complaint.  Tigs can hide one in his mouth for 5 minutes before spitting it into a secret  corner!

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #658 on: 22 July, 2024, 10:08:14 am »
I'm signed up for my first proper audax (as opposed to just riding distances by myself) in two weeks -- the Fox Hat -- but my dog is dying. She has a problem with her liver that we can't investigate because of her age and how stressful it would be (she has panic attacks at the vets), so all we can do is watch as she starves herself despite us trying everything under the sun to get her to eat. Took her to the beach yesterday and I burst into tears when another dog walker told us she is beautiful.

I did a quality of life test, and she's still enjoying her walks and doesn't seem to be in pain, and she's drinking fine, so it's not time yet.

I don't know whether to submit a DNS now, because I suspect I won't be able to leave her if she's still with us, but I wake up every day expecting her to have died in the night.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #659 on: 22 July, 2024, 10:54:56 am »
I'm sorry to hear that.

My sister's cat appears to be in a similar situation.  He was diagnosed with an embolism back in October and has been taking it pretty steady since then but is now not eating a great deal and she reckons he won't be around much longer.

We did have some slight confuson in the Jonbuoy family over the weekend.  I spoke to my sister on Friday afternoon then received a slightly strange cat-related video from her later on that evening.  I feared the worst and my mother confirmed on Saturday morning that the cat had indeed died.  I was out on the bike so sent her a message to say that I was sorry to hear the sad news etc.  On Sunday it became clear that rumours of his demise had been greatly exagerated!  I am now receiving photo's of him from my sister captioned 'Just asleep'  :)

« Reply #660 on: 22 July, 2024, 02:44:07 pm »
I'm signed up for my first proper audax (as opposed to just riding distances by myself) in two weeks -- the Fox Hat -- but my dog is dying. She has a problem with her liver that we can't investigate because of her age and how stressful it would be (she has panic attacks at the vets), so all we can do is watch as she starves herself despite us trying everything under the sun to get her to eat. Took her to the beach yesterday and I burst into tears when another dog walker told us she is beautiful.

I did a quality of life test, and she's still enjoying her walks and doesn't seem to be in pain, and she's drinking fine, so it's not time yet.

I don't know whether to submit a DNS now, because I suspect I won't be able to leave her if she's still with us, but I wake up every day expecting her to have died in the night.

Sam
In your situation, I'd put other things aside to be with my dog/cat.

The quality of life test is everything, and, having seen a peaceful gentle passing of a cat, I want that for all my pets (and, selfishly, for myself). Sitting, just being with the people I love, gently slipping away.
<i>Marmite slave</i>