Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by hatler on Today at 11:57:14 am »
I didn't admit to being 50 until I was about 55.
The Pub / Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Last post by Kim on Today at 11:39:09 am »
Terrorism top tip: Hide your explosives manual in a folder of goat pr0n before b0rking your computer.
The Pub / Re: The price of timber - what is it in other countries?
« Last post by orienteer on Today at 11:34:42 am »
My impression of the US, years ago now, was that the majority of houses didn't bother with fencing, whereas here in the UK people are very territorial. Perhaps because we have a lot less land.
And the Bury Lane ford in Great Waltham's a near-miss on your route: I've had an off there last year, and years ago, a spectacular whizz through at speed one cold but dry winter's morning, when I realised at the last minute that the approach was icy from vehicles dripping as they exited. No option but to avoid steering and braking - and still not sure how I stayed upright. I think I'll take the cautious old man's option of the footbridge in future.
Well, that was a frustrating experience.

I’ve just bought a new kindle for Dr Beardy (Mrs) for a Christmas or Birthday1 present and the UI on Amazon was shocking. There are storage options, colour options and ad options but no guidance to allowable combinations there of. I was checking for 32gb version without ads, but every time I selected a different colour it reset the other two choices. But it was all irrelevant anyway because Amazon don’t have any stock available for UK delivery.

I ended up going to John Lewis whose UI was much more straightforward, though they only had two options 8gb or 32gb  both in black. It would seem that the 32gb version is actually the signature edition which Dr Beardy(Mrs) doesn’t need. It’s a shame I couldn’t get it in pink though.
« Last post by orienteer on Today at 11:21:34 am »
I didn't admit to being middle aged until 50, and nearly three decades later I'm not yet considering myself old  :smug:
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:19:54 am »
Spiral Galaxy 28948 ~ Hawkwind

”28948” is the birthday of Simon House, who wrote said tune…
The Pub / Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:15:47 am »
That’s got to be up there with Mohammed A. Salameh trotting off to Ryder to ask for his rental van deposit back after the World Trade Centre bombing.
The Pub / Re: The price of timber - what is it in other countries?
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:13:31 am »
Plastic fence posts are pretty good.

A lot of fencing in australia has switched to using plastic pipe. This is high-density stuff, walls about 10mm thick. Very easy to install (hammer into ground). Easy to drill fencing wire holes. Easy to cut to length (usually with a chainsaw). Insulated, so electric wires don't need additional fittings. Doesn't rot, doesn't get eaten by termites.

Downside is the eventual breakdown from UV exposure. That is measured in many years though.

I see an increased market for woven hurdle fence panels.

I've seen such a product at a Lowes or Home Depot in the US about 15 years ago - but they were moulded in one piece rather than woven - looked awful.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 10:18:01 am »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10