Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:15:47 am »
That’s got to be up there with Mohammed A. Salameh trotting off to Ryder to ask for his rental van deposit back after the World Trade Centre bombing.
The Pub / Re: The price of timber - what is it in other countries?
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:13:31 am »
Plastic fence posts are pretty good.

A lot of fencing in australia has switched to using plastic pipe. This is high-density stuff, walls about 10mm thick. Very easy to install (hammer into ground). Easy to drill fencing wire holes. Easy to cut to length (usually with a chainsaw). Insulated, so electric wires don't need additional fittings. Doesn't rot, doesn't get eaten by termites.

Downside is the eventual breakdown from UV exposure. That is measured in many years though.

I see an increased market for woven hurdle fence panels.

I've seen such a product at a Lowes or Home Depot in the US about 15 years ago - but they were moulded in one piece rather than woven - looked awful.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 10:18:01 am »
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 10:04:33 am »
Plastic fence posts are pretty good.

A lot of fencing in australia has switched to using plastic pipe. This is high-density stuff, walls about 10mm thick. Very easy to install (hammer into ground). Easy to drill fencing wire holes. Easy to cut to length (usually with a chainsaw). Insulated, so electric wires don't need additional fittings. Doesn't rot, doesn't get eaten by termites.

Downside is the eventual breakdown from UV exposure. That is measured in many years though.

I see an increased market for woven hurdle fence panels.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Guy on Today at 09:58:48 am »
Planet Earth - Duran Duran
The Pub / Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Last post by Tim Hall on Today at 09:16:09 am »
Yes, this one is slightly more serious than the majority of stuff in this thread. Potential terrorist takes laptop to shop for mending

The jury was told he was reluctant to leave his laptop to be repaired and had asked the owner to "promise not to look at the data on the computer"
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 08:18:56 am »
Up to 904k. I may just get the 1m before the end of the year.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Mobbsy on Today at 08:17:21 am »
Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Last post by fboab on Today at 08:09:50 am »
Thanks. I'm pretty chuffed with myself- though it hasn't been too much of a struggle, except the inevitable blisters.

I have a cunning plan involving a pair of socks and a sewing machine. Watch this space.
« Last post by fboab on Today at 08:08:05 am »
I wonder if it's a delayed reaction to the lumber crisis we had here (Canada/US). Prior to covid, several saw mills burned down and as covid hit, the industry thought it would lead to a massive downturn and laid off tons of staff  (when the opposite turned out to be true). Within 6 months, a 2x4" went from $3.50 to $12+. Supply has been back to normal for 6 months or so now and prices are now almost back to normal.

It's certainly a global problem, not a local one. All those coastal forest fires can't help. Your wood is going to China, and so is 'ours'.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10