Author Topic: New wild camping laws Scotland  (Read 3043 times)

New wild camping laws Scotland
« on: 01 March, 2017, 08:58:15 am »
Will these restrictions be affecting anyone?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: New wild camping laws Scotland
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:03:20 am »
What restrictions?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:06:35 am »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
Wild Camping in Scotland remains covered by SOAC
the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/camping

In certain Areas of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park byelaws have come into force meaning camping is only allowed with a permit or in campsites
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
I hate to having to say this but part of me agrees with the ban. Many times I have seen mess left behind at wild camps often near a track accessible to a 4WD. Like some of the pictures shown on TV this morning, I have come across tables, chairs and barbeques left behind. None of them could be carried on a bike or in a backpack.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2017, 12:17:42 pm »
It is already illegal to leave a mess behind or chop down trees etc. They could just enforce the existing laws, instead of criminalising responsible campers. The Scottish Outdoor Access Code specifically allows "responsible" access and camping.

A ban on overnight parking would have helped a lot more.

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2017, 12:42:20 pm »
I think it's eminently sensible. This isn't a big country. There isn't room for us all to enjoy it unless we're considerate.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2017, 12:44:14 pm »
I think it's eminently sensible. This isn't a big country. There isn't room for us all to enjoy it unless we're considerate.

This.

But also this.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2017, 03:19:52 pm »
There's a related problem with bothies, the ones near roads get abused and vandalised.

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »
About 15 years ago I stopped at a public campsite at Dent in the Dales over Easter w/e, the last night of a backpacking trip, catching the train back to Leeds next morning.  I hardly got a wink of sleep as some 'townies' who'd clearly just fancied a spot of camping, but lacked the know-how, were running riot on the campsite - their inadequate sleeping bags meant they were sitting in their cars with the engines running to keep warm, or driving round the site, pop music etc.  THESE are the sort of people the ban is intended for. 

Nobody is going to be affected who walks a couple of miles off the road, or who pitches their tent at dusk next to a lake after a day's walking - how could they possibly police that?

I've also more recently camped at a public picnic area by a reservoir west of Harrogate, owned by the water company - for the water supply, but poor choice otherwise - typical place where youfs like to drive out to but there were regular patrols by police throughout the night to move any on, they didn't bother me though once they'd sussed me out! :-)

« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:39:55 pm »
It is already illegal to leave a mess behind or chop down trees etc. They could just enforce the existing laws, instead of criminalising responsible campers. The Scottish Outdoor Access Code specifically allows "responsible" access and camping.

Agreed.
Simple solution would have been to have rangers patrolling the affected areas, and ban overnight parking (outdoor access code does not apply to camping with a car).

It may be the start of a slippery slope, if the abusers start going to camp at other loch shores that are not covered by the ban how long until the ban gets extended?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:58:56 pm »
Who pays for the rangers?

TBH, with the current easy access to the wild camping areas, this problem was always going to happen. Wild camping is fine when its a few Audaxers or walkers or weirdos. It used to be that.

Its a bit like the North Coast 500. What a brilliant thing! Especially for tourism! Unless you live in Elphin, or enjoy laughing at Nedd on a bike, and for numerous other places on the route.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:51:31 am »
Rangers are usually volunteers, no?  My step-children's grandmother volunteer ranger patrols over near oldham somewhere up on the moors (she's been involved in all sorts, from chasing 4x4 drivers off places they shouldn't have been, to full-on rescues).

Johnny's story of stupid townies camping reminds me of the caravanners renting the field next to our mooring. First they wanted full electric hookup (they rented a field, then wanted electricity), then they left their caravans open and complained about animals getting in. What animals? The specific complaint: "Can you lock your cat up, it came into our caravan and stole a whole string of sausages!"

I really miss that cat, what a character.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:16:34 am »
It's an area within easy reach of Scotland's centre of population. 

I'd hazard a guess that the less responsible wild-campers wouldn't make the effort to travel much further.

Are there many places in England where wild camping is allowed as opposed to tolerated?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:20:36 am »
Dartmoor is about it I think. That's only because nobody can find Teh Bodies anyway.

You could try wild camping somewhere like Saddleworth, but:
A) it isn't allowed in theory
B) everywhere is either a bog, a stream or is about to become a stream
C) You'd need 1metre tentpegs to hold in the sloppy bog against the winds
<i>Marmite slave</i>