Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119390 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #575 on: 31 October, 2021, 08:50:00 pm »
yes, it's not the 12% in and of itself, it's the high probability of restarting a recumbent on 12%.

Those kind of starts are fine as long as the hill isn’t busy. In case you have an initial wobble as you restart.

Maybe if you have enough weight on the back wheel of a rwd recumbent, not the case when you have fwd and a lightly loaded front end. BTDTGTTS

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #576 on: 31 October, 2021, 09:28:52 pm »
yes, it's not the 12% in and of itself, it's the high probability of restarting a recumbent on 12%.

Those kind of starts are fine as long as the hill isn’t busy. In case you have an initial wobble as you restart.

Maybe if you have enough weight on the back wheel of a rwd recumbent, not the case when you have fwd and a lightly loaded front end. BTDTGTTS

Steepest hill start I’ve had to do  is 17% and yes RWD 😁

« Reply #577 on: 02 November, 2021, 09:12:40 am »
Hi Huggy - I'm trying to persuade a couple of non-Audax folk to come along - are you doing EOLs?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #578 on: 02 November, 2021, 09:58:10 am »
Hi Huggy - I'm trying to persuade a couple of non-Audax folk to come along - are you doing EOLs?
Hi Nik, I'd rather not take EOLs. I'm already over subscribed for the 3Rs and the check-in will be busy enough without processing EOLs too.  I'll be closing online entry Thursday night so anyone that wants to ride will need to be entered by then.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #579 on: 02 November, 2021, 10:43:06 am »
Jolly good - will pass that on!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #580 on: 03 November, 2021, 10:45:41 am »
Stansted Airport Express; is there a cafe stop this year or are we on our own?

« Reply #581 on: 05 November, 2021, 05:28:39 pm »
Looking forward to digging the fixed out tomorrow...going to be interesting to see how that goes after only really doing an hour of exercise at a time recently :facepalm:

70 starters....might skip the blood thinners tonight, that sounds like I might be crossing my 2 pint energy drink limit on the return to Witham. Prepare yourselves folks....I have a whole range of new even more boring stories to tell  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #582 on: 05 November, 2021, 06:15:12 pm »

Thremhall Cafe (at half-way) is still there, but it's an info control like last year. I haven't been in to see them yet and warn they may have a few more customers ...

On last year's minimalist event some did stop there I believe, but for the helpers' ride a week before we pushed on to Parrishes in Thaxted.

« Reply #583 on: 06 November, 2021, 06:32:39 pm »
Lovely ride today, thanks Huggy.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #584 on: 06 November, 2021, 07:33:13 pm »
seems to have taken more out of me than I expected.  I'm sitting on the sofa absolutely knackered. Maybe it's because I didn't hang around for an Essex energy drink
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #585 on: 06 November, 2021, 08:29:37 pm »
There was a fair bit of headwind! Good route though, well done for getting so many people out at this stage in the year.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #586 on: 07 November, 2021, 05:12:53 pm »
Been lurking here for a while but only just joined.  Essex 3Rs yesterday was my introduction to this audaxing lark.  I thoroughly enjoyed the day, lovely route through a few parts of Essex that I haven't visited before. I think I may have bumped into a regular here at the cafe control.

Many thanks to the organiser for arranging.  I have signed up to the next in the series.  Slightly worried this could easily become addictive.

felstedrider

« Reply #587 on: 07 November, 2021, 05:20:52 pm »
Been lurking here for a while but only just joined.  Essex 3Rs yesterday was my introduction to this audaxing lark.  I thoroughly enjoyed the day, lovely route through a few parts of Essex that I haven't visited before. I think I may have bumped into a regular here at the cafe control.

Many thanks to the organiser for arranging.  I have signed up to the next in the series.  Slightly worried this could easily become addictive.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #588 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:17:09 pm »
Is there an event in January?

felstedrider

« Reply #589 on: 07 November, 2021, 10:13:00 pm »
Is there an event in January?

See upthread.  Planned for the 15th but not in the AUK calendar yet.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #590 on: 09 November, 2021, 06:04:29 pm »
Stansted Airport Express 04/12/21 ... for those helping on the day, it's the Mighty Oak Christmas Beer Tasting from 11:00: you might want to join me in popping down to Maldon after the start to meet Soupy and pals, as in the Before Times, and putting an order in for a festive mini-pin.

Helpers' Ride the week before, on Saturday 27th November, weather permitting - Sunday is a possibility too.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #591 on: 10 November, 2021, 05:57:39 pm »
I'd like to try to make the helpers ride but it clashes with the works Xmas party, might aim for the main event.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #592 on: 16 November, 2021, 04:58:11 pm »
Main batch of rider emails out for the Stansted Airport Express: just under 60 so far.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #593 on: 16 November, 2021, 10:32:57 pm »
Now a bit closer to 60.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #594 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:40:54 am »
Despeuch and I checked the Stansted Airport Express route yesterday on our Helpers' Ride. Wilkyboy's gps track was spot on (naturally!), just a few minor changes to the route sheet and some extra cafe info to be mailed out.

The NW headwind didn't seem so bad on the first half, probably because all our attention was taken by our preoccupation with Ice-Peril. Sensors turned up to 11 ...

« Reply #595 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:31:08 am »
Happily the forecast for Saturday is warmer, though I notice it's suddenly become wetter as well. I must be getting old. I'm no longer as relaxed as I was about ice. I remember riding the Norfolk Nips events in icy conditions. Not sure I'd choose to do that now. If I need to be somewhere, that's different.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #596 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:14:20 am »

Thremhall Cafe (at half-way) is still there, but it's an info control like last year. I haven't been in to see them yet and warn they may have a few more customers ...

On last year's minimalist event some did stop there I believe, but for the helpers' ride a week before we pushed on to Parrishes in Thaxted.

Thremhall are a bit nervous about being overwhelmed: last Sunday, two cakes each there fuelled us round, with a proper lunch back at the 'spoons. But then we left early and were back by 14:00. On a 10:00 start, I'd be inclined to stop for elevenses at the Snug and then push on to Thaxted or the Blue Egg.

felstedrider

« Reply #597 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:26:14 am »

Thremhall are a bit nervous about being overwhelmed: last Sunday, two cakes each there fuelled us round, with a proper lunch back at the 'spoons. But then we left early and were back by 14:00. On a 10:00 start, I'd be inclined to stop for elevenses at the Snug and then push on to Thaxted or the Blue Egg.

Shhhh.   That was my plan.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #598 on: 30 November, 2021, 07:52:53 pm »

Mmmm Blue Egg. I've not been for ages. Need some company?!

(Although I need to do cycle commute later this week as a post-COVID trail ride before I fully commit to riding 100 km.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

felstedrider

« Reply #599 on: 30 November, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »

Mmmm Blue Egg. I've not been for ages. Need some company?!

(Although I need to do cycle commute later this week as a post-COVID trail ride before I fully commit to riding 100 km.)

Let me know at the start.  I may ECE but, even if I don’t I’ll go off at 10am.