Author Topic: Chain Lube  (Read 13664 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Chain Lube
« Reply #75 on: 06 September, 2021, 12:16:14 pm »
Can you clue me in...I tried waxing (with paraffin wax) this year and couldn't get it to work. Liked the cleanliness, but suffered from a lot of chain noise, a waxed chain would barely make it to 100km before it became intolerable. Used a thermometer to ensure adequate temps were reached, so it's not that.

Not sure what I can add...
I use a crock pot. Temperature reaches around 90-95C or so. Soak the chain for 3 hours at that temperature.
No excess noise, definitely no squeaking. Wax lasts me ~5-600km outside; 1000km inside.
Perhaps I'm just deaf to it all? I do wear hearing aids...  ;)

« Reply #76 on: 06 September, 2021, 09:11:13 pm »
I don't know either :-( My experience was so contrary to what I have seen posted on t'interweb. I was using KMC chains which supposedly have worse wax retention, but since I have 4 of them (bought ages ago when they were on sale) I couldn't be arsed to try another brand yet.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 06 September, 2021, 09:13:42 pm »
Perhaps I'm just deaf to it all? I do wear hearing aids...  ;)

This is certainly a thing.  I've ridden with older riders who are oblivious to the noise their chain is making.

I've also had rubbing disc brake noises pointed out that I couldn't hear.

(Barakta of course can't make any sense of mechanical noises.  I have to tell her when her front mech is rubbing.)

« Reply #78 on: 07 September, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
I'm a convert to hot wax ubes as well.  Due to a bike theft I switched to a bike with gears in a can last August (2020) so I now have a single speed chainline and use KMC e1 chains (even though my bike isn't an e-bike).  I've used two of these chains in rotation and over the last year covered 6300km on the bike.  I use a Park Tools cc-2 chain checker

https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-checker-cc-2

I still can't get the prongs of the checker between the links of the chain so effectively no discernible wear at this point. 

I tend to rewax after 200-300km as this is a convenient schedule for me, but have on a couple of occasions done over 400km.  The drive train is wonderfully quite.

I too use a small crockpot.  Chains are wiped clean with a couple of paper towels and then dunked for 15-30 minutes.  I then hang the chains over the hot wax to drain off excess wax.  I started with molten speed wax, but then added an equivalent amount of a wax with tungsten disulphide and ptfe from ebay.

I do get some flakes of wax on the chainstays but this is very easy to wipe off.  Otherwise the regime is very easy to manage.

Previously I was using 10 speed chains, typically sram 1051, and lubing with purple extreme.  Despite intensive and laborious cleaning and relubing of the chains I never got more than 1200km from a chain, even using a set of 5 chains that were carefully rotated.  Prior to using a rotating set, chains would be pretty worn by the time I got to 800  km.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and acknowledge that I don't ride for extended period in the rain, but due to local flooding, my chains have at least been submerged on more than one occasion with no apparent ill effect.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #79 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:35:40 pm »
SRAM chains are shit. But they are £8.

« Reply #80 on: 08 September, 2021, 08:14:47 am »
SRAM chains are shit. But they are £8.

Where?

« Reply #81 on: 08 September, 2021, 08:20:45 am »
Periodically at PX

I had one snap last month. Link sheared, so not installation error

« Reply #82 on: 15 April, 2022, 12:08:14 am »
There was an IMechE webinar a couple of days ago by a proper tribologist who used to work for Muc-Off on bicycle chain lubrication.
Did anyone make it who could give the forum a précis? Maybe a video of it will appear, so keep your eyes peeled.
https://events.imeche.org/ViewEvent?code=TLE7502

I wonder whether paraffin wax came up as the magix elixir. Isn't this melted candles?

« Reply #83 on: 16 April, 2022, 07:49:53 pm »
I've been using wolf tooth chain lube recently. It's wet so obv gets dirty but can't deny it seems to stay on the metal longer and feels v.smooth when riding.