Author Topic: Science that makes you cringe  (Read 14092 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #200 on: 13 October, 2021, 03:36:28 pm »
Listening to Hancock's "The Radio Ham" on BBC Sounds today, The Lad Himself says he's broadcasting on the short wave band at 10.4m at 250 mega cycles per second.

Speed of propagation is wavelength x frequency, so 10.4 x 250 x (10^6) m/s = . Or 2.6 x (10^9) m/s. Say 8.7 x the speed of light.

By great good fortune my Scouts are taking part in the Jamboree on the Air this weekend. As well as finding out what the weather is doing in Tokyo, I'll see if they can work out Galton and Simpson's error.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #201 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:35:25 pm »
Listening to Hancock's "The Radio Ham" on BBC Sounds today, The Lad Himself says he's broadcasting on the short wave band at 10.4m at 250 mega cycles per second.

Speed of propagation is wavelength x frequency, so 10.4 x 250 x (10^6) m/s = . Or 2.6 x (10^9) m/s. Say 8.7 x the speed of light.

By great good fortune my Scouts are taking part in the Jamboree on the Air this weekend. As well as finding out what the weather is doing in Tokyo, I'll see if they can work out Galton and Simpson's error.

I'm running a station here in the Cotswolds, GB0GS it's a short contact but do listen out for us.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #202 on: 13 October, 2021, 05:44:18 pm »

I'm running a station here in the Cotswolds, GB0GS it's a short contact but do listen out for us.

We will be joining in with my troop Saturday afternoon and through to Sunday morning. I think we may have a radio ham for some of Saturday afternoon but I am not sure. Edit to add. Yes we do call sign G2ML. Jid 5GB26C

« Reply #203 on: 13 October, 2021, 08:06:32 pm »
I read that and thought what an ironic name (though I know it's Arabic and just coincidentally looks like English, doesn't even sound the same). Anywayz, what's cringeworthy about "deteriorating by the month"? After all, as someone's sig line says, "rust never sleeps".
[Puts hand up.]   Me sir !! 
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #204 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:35:15 pm »
I read that and thought what an ironic name (though I know it's Arabic and just coincidentally looks like English, doesn't even sound the same). Anywayz, what's cringeworthy about "deteriorating by the month"? After all, as someone's sig line says, "rust never sleeps".
[Puts hand up.]   Me sir !!
:thumbsup:
rubigo numquam dormit nec stertit
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #205 on: 10 November, 2021, 09:54:33 am »
This is old but it came up in a search related to something else I’m working on and it’s too good not to share…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/noel-edmonds-says-death-doesn-t-exist-and-electrosmog-more-deadly-ebola-or-aids-10439536.html

Frankly, I would believe anything said by a man with such luxuriant hair.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #206 on: 10 November, 2021, 12:52:26 pm »
This is old but it came up in a search related to something else I’m working on and it’s too good not to share…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/noel-edmonds-says-death-doesn-t-exist-and-electrosmog-more-deadly-ebola-or-aids-10439536.html

Umm... That story is from August 2015...... - not that age makes it any less batshit crazy.

citoyen

« Reply #207 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »

Umm... That story is from August 2015...... - not that age makes it any less batshit crazy.

Yes, that's why I started my post with 'This is old...'

To be fair, Noel seems to have given up the mumbo-jumbo these days - he now lives permanently in New Zealand, where he runs a free online radio station. (Which is not to say that he no longer believes all that guff, but that he's concentrating his efforts on doing what he's good at.)

« Reply #208 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:44:13 pm »
Ah!
I neglected to spot your first three words...

citoyen

« Reply #209 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:45:27 pm »
Ah!
Failed to spot your first three words...

No doubt you were distracted by the sheer luxuriousness of Noel's bouffant mane.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #210 on: 10 November, 2021, 06:25:43 pm »
Ah!
Failed to spot your first three words...

No doubt you were distracted by the sheer luxuriousness of Noel's bouffant mane.

Probably been to that guy who's been chatting up Wowbagger on FriendFace.