Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144614 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2025 on: 29 June, 2022, 12:31:11 pm »
Good stuff Beardy.  Keep going.  👍

I was due a yoga/gym double header yesterday but began to feel unwell during yoga.  Spent most of yesterday afternoon, evening and then overnight in bed, mainly sleeping.

Feeling about 80% today.  The main symptom is tiredness.  I have no cold or flu symptoms, no aches or pains, no gastro grumblings, no thundering headaches.  It's really quite weird.

« Reply #2026 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:10:39 am »
Awake before 5 so I got up and made a drink.  Felt reasonably OK so went to the gym for 6:30 and did a light strength session.  Even doing less than usual it took me longer than usual to get round.  Crashed out on the sofa now after porridge and coffee.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2027 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:22:46 am »
W4 started. 16 minutes of ‘running’ now, although it’s split into 3/5/3/5 minute runs.

I never thought I’d say I’ll be glad to get back to Suffolk’s flatness, but they do hills proper like in Yorkshire. Fitting in a run when you’re as unfit as I am, is difficult to,say the least, but with a bit of creative double backing on myself, I just about managed to fit the running on the limited flat bit in the village. The last minute of the first 5min run was up hill though.

Back to the flats for Sunday’s session.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2028 on: 03 July, 2022, 02:22:41 pm »
W4.2

I enjoyed that. I stuck to the programme even though I felt I could probably run further. I might skip 4.3 and move onto 5.1 on my next session. I shall think on it.

The terrain difference, not unsurprisingly, had an impact, although I was surprised at the extent of the difference. Nearly 1k more on the Suffolk steppes. Im not sure I trust that though because the GPS went screwy and the track shows me running through buildings.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2029 on: 03 July, 2022, 02:41:18 pm »
My Garmin has gone all screwy too.  I think that it must be related to a recent software update.

IIRC, we have the same watch ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2030 on: 05 July, 2022, 10:20:16 am »
W4 done.  :) I’ve managed to run every other day since I stated a repeat of Ct5K, which I have to put down to Dr Beardy’s involvement. She’s a run behind me having only run the once when we were in Yorkshire, but she’s enjoying it also.

My watch behaved itself this morning as well, and yes, the distance on the last run was optimistic. I think we do have the same watch PB, although I’m trying to get Dr Beardy to accept my watch so I can get a new one ;D (no it’s not going to happen :()
I’ve switched to an older pair of shoes which don’t rub my heels and are a wider fitting. But the soles are worn, which is why I got new shoes, and I worry that the cushioning is a bit squashed thus affording me less protection.

Onwards and upwards

« Reply #2031 on: 05 July, 2022, 12:01:25 pm »
Beardy, you could both upgrade to the new fenix 7 solar.  Think of it as a marital bonding exercise :)

« Reply #2032 on: 05 July, 2022, 01:17:48 pm »
Good going Beardy.  👍

My Garmin seems to have settled down again now so I put it down to a software glitch.  Perhaps those pesky ruskies were tinkering with the Glonass system?  I have set mine to use GPS+Galileo now for walks and runs. Not sure if that is part of the problem but it seems to be behaving again, so ...  🤔 😉

My next smartwatch must have full eSim capability including make and receive calls without having a paired smartphone nearby so I will not be upgrading to the lightweight Fenix 7.

« Reply #2033 on: 07 July, 2022, 08:16:11 am »
A very short jog.

First exercise post covid, and in new shoes.

No noticeable soreness yet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2034 on: 07 July, 2022, 10:01:21 am »
So, after smugly proclaiming my unbroken every other day sessions after my last run, this morning I’ve bailed.  :( My leg muscles are very tight and I feel that going out for 3x5min session would be pushing my luck. It’s worth pointing out that I think the DIY project I’m currently doing is probably more to blame for my soreness than the running, and that continues today regardless.

I’m currently trying to convince myself that this isn’t a failure, but a very pragmatic decision after ‘listening’ to my body.

ETA

W5.1 just completed. I’ve been doing the project all day, and was sitting down with Dr Beardy after tea, wheel she watched TV and was somewhat restless. Why don’t you go for your run now says she. So I did! The first and second run in the session seemed quite easy, but the third was difficult before the last 90 seconds started up the incline! Even so, I managed to keep going for 20 or so seconds extra so I could reach the corner. Now cooling down before I go for a shower.

Still on track for every other day.  :)

« Reply #2035 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:43:29 am »
Well done that man.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2036 on: 09 July, 2022, 10:45:56 am »
No run again this morning because I need to travel. Hopefully I’ll still have energy and motivation to go this evening.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2037 on: 09 July, 2022, 11:58:02 am »
I hadn’t run since April as I kept getting a bad back afterwards. I feared my running days were over.

Then yesterday I decided to do one last experiment, wearing my older running shoes and only running on woodland paths, no tarmac. This meant several sections where I had to walk as the local off-road paths are mostly tracks across fields.

I did 3 x 800 metres running with walking before, after and in between.

This morning - my back is fine!

So from my bed I ordered some new running shoes, for tarmac, and the ones said to be best for back pain, so Hoka Bondi 7. They come Tuesday. I am crossing my fingers that I can slowly build up again…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2038 on: 09 July, 2022, 09:59:28 pm »
Bin chance Helen, and welcome back  :)

W5.2 2x8min 3x5min walk

That was hard work and I had to force myself to keep going. Excuse? Bloated tummy after a day travelling with in appropriate food and drink followed by a large dinner. In fact when I was walking up from the station when I got back to Woodbridge, I thought I might be coming down with something. I’ve also already walk about 7k today which could be why I felt a bit weak and pathetic.

I managed to complete the session as prescribed, but I think I’ll be reverting to morning running for a while yet.

« Reply #2039 on: 10 July, 2022, 08:35:13 am »
Good news there AH.  Long may your back behave.

Keep going Beardy.  There will be harder days and easier days as you surely remember? 

I'm hiding from the blistering sun and extreme (for me) heat for a couple of days.  My countermeasures were not entirely successful yesterday and I can see the burn lines!  Relatively mild in fact and not sore at all but very unwanted.  I also felt light-headed yesterday evening which I might just credit to the heat.

Today and tomorrow I shall be largely tucked away in my "nest" safely hidden from the nasty sun.

I have been considering whether I can do a treadmill C25K.  It would be good if the treadmills at the gym could be easily programmed ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2040 on: 10 July, 2022, 10:08:33 am »
PB, I’ve created all the C25K sessions as workouts on Garmin, which I’ve found very helpful. If I can figure out how to share them, you’re welcome to a copy if you think they’d help you.

« Reply #2041 on: 10 July, 2022, 12:10:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind offer Beardy.  I did in fact do the very same when I did the C25K. 

My problem is operating a treadmill when I cannot read the display without bending until my nose is a matter of a brace of centimetres from the control panel to keep dropping and increasing the speed as necessary.  Very dangerous prospect methinks.

A programmable treadmill would be ideal.  I know some can link to various devices but I am pretty sure that the PureGym devices at my sports centre are not Garmin compatible.  Yet another reason to consider swapping to a different architecture ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2042 on: 11 July, 2022, 09:13:40 am »
W5.3 20 minutes!

Sarah all but chased be out of the house this morning, and thank goodness she did. It’s already getting a bit warm in the sun, but our running route has trees along most of its eastern edge so is in the shade. The small breeze helped a lot.

I hesitate to say this, but the run really wasn’t that hard, almost <say it quietly> easy. I didn’t have to make myself keep running. You can bet your life the next session will kill me. Utterly to DETH:-\

Cool down and avoid the weather seems to be the order of the day. Smugly  :smug:

« Reply #2043 on: 11 July, 2022, 09:34:01 am »
Well done Beardy.

I hit the gym again this morning.  I am still enjoying not running at the moment and given this hot spell the air conditioned luxury of the gym is most welcome.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2044 on: 13 July, 2022, 09:23:07 pm »
W6.1  3x runs 5-8-5 minutes

Another late one, mainly because of taxi duties this morning and too much heat this avro. But sensible eating over the course of the day and a sufficient post dinner rest meant no stomach related issues. Indeed, no real issues at all. An altogether relaxed and enjoyable session.

Post run analysis would suggest I hopped a lot or there was a technical issue. Empirical evidence would suggest the latter, becasue as reported above, it was a relaxed and comfortable session. I’ll give my chest belt a bit,of a wash this evening in the hope that helps.

« Reply #2045 on: 14 July, 2022, 07:31:36 am »
I managed my first run for two and a half weeks1 yesterday morning. Only a 3k instead of my usual 5, and taking it gently, but still good to be back out there.

1) A combination of minor injury (something was not right with my left foot and ankle, which was the one I broke three years ago) the need to be fit to run a dance workshop at a local folk festival last Sunday, and the heat all conspired. I did manage to get a bike ride in instead of a run, but only once.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2046 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:01:04 am »
Trying to find my getupandgo to go out for my run before it starts getting to warm  :(

Ha. Found it!

W6.2 2x 10min

I’m not finding it especially difficult at the moment and I’m tempted to try upping the pace a little. Perhaps I’ll have a look at what my pace was when I stopped last year and compare it to where I am now. I am craving to run a bit further as well, so maybe on my next outing I might let my distance stretch a little.

It’s getting quite hot out there now so I’m glad I’ve done it this morning.

Hydrate, cool down and shower then.

« Reply #2047 on: 16 July, 2022, 07:03:24 am »
I found in this situation running for an extra 15-20seconds into the walks helped.

« Reply #2048 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:41:12 am »
When I did C25K I would do an extra running set or extend the continuous sessions by an appropriate amount.  I didn't think that trying to run faster would achieve my goals.

It's great to hear that it's going well Beardy.  Keep up the good work.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2049 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:50:10 am »
The weekend was busy with us bing away from home and the only opportunity I had for a run was late last night when I was just too knackered to be bothered. Today I’ve got a drive of 400 miles and a deadline to be at the other end, so I’ve not got the time now. If I’d had the will power or energy at 6am this morning I might have fitted it in, but I needed my sleep to make today a reasonable journey. Hopefully I’ll get a run in tomorrow morn before it gets too warm.