Author Topic: Bivvy  (Read 5793 times)

Bivvy
« on: 08 June, 2020, 12:47:25 pm »
While bivvies are a topic.
Alpkit have a new one - the Elan - that looks interesting.
https://alpkit.com/collections/bivvy-bags/products/elan

and a new mat: https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping-mats/products/cloud-base
Never knowingly under caffeinated

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Bivvy
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:47:55 am »
That mat has been around for a couple of years now, I'm not sure it's better than the Numo (I have both) but it's OK.

I did see however someone post this today elsewhere which appears to be a fairly exact replica of the Alpkit version, even down to the valve detail!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPJODCIM/jobsworth-diamond-cutter-inflatable-mattress?fbclid=IwAR2pDg37BSZOeAym3KwluMDZQIsc5dTxZ6LnhjwR9wpl5vfb6GOH2Kdazow

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2020, 12:31:56 pm »
That is very similar isn't it?
Not tapered so 20g heavier and close to half the price.
How are Planet X in case of a failure and return being needed, I wonder?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:06:10 pm »
Yes, that hooped bivvy looks good. Similar design to the Snugpak Stratosphere, but maybe a bit lighter weight and cheaper.
Kind of half way between a simple bivvy bag and a small tent. Good if you want something low down and midge proof?
Tempted to buy one, but not sure if I'd use it much. I already have the Alpkit Soloist tent, which isn't much heavier. Or a Hunka bivvy for small and simple.

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2020, 04:02:36 pm »
Yes, that hooped bivvy looks good. Similar design to the Snugpak Stratosphere, but maybe a bit lighter weight and cheaper.
Kind of half way between a simple bivvy bag and a small tent. Good if you want something low down and midge proof?
Tempted to buy one, but not sure if I'd use it much. I already have the Alpkit Soloist tent, which isn't much heavier. Or a Hunka bivvy for small and simple.

I had a Terra Nova(?) Jupiter that I didn't like mainly because of the entry but this doesn't seem to be so high and it is side entry.
I also have a Hunka that I have modified with a face mesh and intended to use this season with a Bear Paw Lair tarp tent.That could still happen, I hope :)

Bivvy
« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
And there’s this which I use when the weather is inclement:

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/37897/products/outdoor-research-helium-bivy-pewter.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=269292-0008&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyujK88326QIVFuDtCh3lWweKEAUYBCABEgKR0fD_BwE

Otherwise my Hunka is ok when it’s dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2020, 02:54:50 pm »

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/37897/products/outdoor-research-helium-bivy-pewter.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=269292-0008&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyujK88326QIVFuDtCh3lWweKEAUYBCABEgKR0fD_BwE

Just under 500g for a hooped bivvy is very good going.

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2020, 03:40:59 pm »

How do you get on with it? It gets good reviews but it didn't work for me. 

I had one which I used on IndyPac in Australia, not having had chance to try it out beforehand as wrong time of year. 
But I didn't like it.  Firstly, I found it much less breathable than my Hunka, to the extent that I was waking up shivering with cold, on what were not cold mornings, because I was wet with sweat.  Then, the night that I used it when it was a bit chilly with the hoop up and the zips closed I woke to find I was breathing really quickly, as if I was short of oxygen.  I opened the zips and got some air and was fine, but when I closed them again, the same happened, so I spent the rest of the night with my head by an open bit of zip, too scared to sleep in case I suffocated!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2020, 04:22:55 pm »
I had one which I used on IndyPac in Australia, not having had chance to try it out beforehand as wrong time of year. 
But I didn't like it.  Firstly, I found it much less breathable than my Hunka, to the extent that I was waking up shivering with cold, on what were not cold mornings, because I was wet with sweat.  Then, the night that I used it when it was a bit chilly with the hoop up and the zips closed I woke to find I was breathing really quickly, as if I was short of oxygen.  I opened the zips and got some air and was fine, but when I closed them again, the same happened, so I spent the rest of the night with my head by an open bit of zip, too scared to sleep in case I suffocated!
Alpkit made a prototype hooped bivvy that zipped up completely. They tested it and found dangerous levels of CO2 building up.
Presumably why the new model just has a mesh with a storm flap.

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2020, 07:21:13 pm »

How do you get on with it? It gets good reviews but it didn't work for me. 

I have enjoyed mine so far. It obviously works well in dry, fair weather. I have used it in rubbish weather and I did tire of the claustrophobic feeling but felt fine with a gap. No water got in. The worst experience was on a night on an open hill with heavy dew. I got soaked. Purely condensation at a guess. If you can, sleep with a wind flowing over you or under tree cover or to leeward if a building or cliff/rock formation.

But perfect for Audax where you are only snatching a few hours.

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2020, 07:23:17 pm »

Just under 500g for a hooped bivvy is very good going.
Beer can sized. It has a mesh closure which keeps off very light rain and a storm flap for heavy. Best to leave a gap for safety and condensation reasons.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »
Beer can sized.
That's a big beer can... Judging from this video I'd say packed volume is at least 4 litres.

For some a hooped bivvy may be the best of both worlds, but for me it's neither fish nor fowl. For audax and one or two nights with less than four hours sleeping each night a regular bivvy is comfortable enough (mind you, I have a fancy one made from breathable eVent) and packs smaller and lighter. And for multi-nights "regular" sleep a tent like the Nordisk Lofoten 1 packs just as small or smaller while providing a lot more comfort (at the expense of $$$ and the time to pitch it).

Davef

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2020, 06:35:42 pm »
Beer can sized.
That's a big beer can... Judging from this video I'd say packed volume is at least 4 litres.

For some a hooped bivvy may be the best of both worlds, but for me it's neither fish nor fowl. For audax and one or two nights with less than four hours sleeping each night a regular bivvy is comfortable enough (mind you, I have a fancy one made from breathable eVent) and packs smaller and lighter. And for multi-nights "regular" sleep a tent like the Nordisk Lofoten 1 packs just as small or smaller while providing a lot more comfort (at the expense of $$$ and the time to pitch it).
What fancy eVent bivvy do you have ? After a reasonable experience in an orange emergency bivvy I then upgraded to the OR helium. My personal experience was not great. I have a similar tiny tent from terra nova and have used a lot but the faff of pitching in the dark for a few hours is not attractive either, but is the option I would go for if more than one night was involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:16:19 pm »
Beer can sized.
That's a big beer can...

Based on my own anatomical discrepancies: My eyes are bigger than my stomach and I have very big hands.

« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2020, 01:33:25 pm »
Alpkit made a prototype hooped bivvy that zipped up completely. They tested it and found dangerous levels of CO2 building up.
Presumably why the new model just has a mesh with a storm flap.

Yes, I remember reading about that not long after my experience and wondered if mine had had similar issues, but I've never seen any one else complain about it with the helium.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:50:53 pm »
What fancy eVent bivvy do you have ?
Mountain Laurel Designs FKT bivvy. I have the medium, would recommend getting the large if you will be using a sleeping pad/bag; even when you're 1m75 and 60kg (having wiggle room when it's raining and you have closed the zipper is worth the small penalty in weight and volume I now feel). Packs away into a 23x9cm stuff sack, say 1.5 litres.

Don't expect miracles, it breathes as well as any Goretex rain jacket (adequate, until the outside is saturated with water)  :D

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:48:37 pm »
What fancy eVent bivvy do you have ?
Mountain Laurel Designs FKT bivvy. I have the medium, would recommend getting the large if you will be using a sleeping pad/bag; even when you're 1m75 and 60kg (having wiggle room when it's raining and you have closed the zipper is worth the small penalty in weight and volume I now feel). Packs away into a 23x9cm stuff sack, say 1.5 litres.

Don't expect miracles, it breathes as well as any Goretex rain jacket (adequate, until the outside is saturated with water)  :D

Only 50% heavier than my Rab Ultra bivvy :-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2020, 04:06:39 am »

The one bivvi bag I wish Alpkit would make is the hunka, but with a mossie net over the entrance. Nothing fancy, just hunka + net.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #18 on: 22 June, 2020, 11:17:56 am »

The one bivvi bag I wish Alpkit would make is the hunka, but with a mossie net over the entrance. Nothing fancy, just hunka + net.

J
My wife sewed a net to my Hunka.
Two pieces of net that velcro together and sewed to the edge of the draw cord channel to not interfere with it. As you draw the cord to close the hole the net just bunches together.