Author Topic: Boardman's top ten things  (Read 4099 times)

Boardman's top ten things
« on: 10 June, 2020, 08:29:24 pm »
The sainted CB famously said that helmets weren't even in the top ten of things that would make cycling safer.

I can't find anywhere what he thinks the top ten are.

Anyone ?
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Boardman's top ten things
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2020, 09:38:03 pm »
I thought he'd said that to point out that they're not a thing that actually keeps you safe rather than because he'd actually compiled a list.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2020, 10:44:03 pm »
I'd agree. It was a form of words. But you could think of things, such as cyclist training, driver training, redesign of roads and junctions, bike maintenance and bike checks, reviews and enforcement of speed limits, segregation where appropriate and so on that ought to be in the list.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2020, 12:04:48 am »
Like the audax bikes, it's the bottom ten things that are more entertaining.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2020, 07:55:23 am »
I read this as top ten thighs.
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2020, 08:48:38 am »
That was Phil Leggit.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:11:35 am »
I'd agree. It was a form of words. But you could think of things, such as cyclist training, driver training, redesign of roads and junctions, bike maintenance and bike checks, reviews and enforcement of speed limits, segregation where appropriate and so on that ought to be in the list.

Pretty certain all ten things are infrastructure and road design maybe with a sprinkling of strict enforcement against drivers.

Soft stuff like training isn’t something he ever talks about on Twitter.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:49:50 am »
I'd be more interested in learning what his evil twin's Top Ten Things are :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:00:03 am »
John Lennon once announced that Ringo was not the best drummer in Beatles. 
He was not then asked who was the best.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:01:03 am »
I'd be more interested in learning what his evil twin's Top Ten Things are :demon:

Don't jump red lights; 'share the road'; never ever ever ride two abreast or more than a foot out of the gutter...

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:11:19 am »

Don't jump red lights; 'share the road'; never ever ever ride two abreast or more than a foot out of the gutter...
Banning bicycles would be very effective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2020, 10:13:35 am »
Like the audax bikes, it's the bottom ten things that are more entertaining.
Helmets, hi viz and lollipops.

« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2020, 01:35:51 pm »
So Mr Larrington's twin has: 1. RLJ, 2. Share the road, 3. No riding two abreast, 4. Ride in the gutter, 5. Compulsory helmets (please don't consign this to the helmet section!, 6. Compulsory Hi Viz, 7. No lollipops

I propose 8. Compulsory insurance, 9. Road tax for cycles & 10. Compulsory bells/spoke reflectors/front reflectors

Banning cycles not a good idea because our twin would have to start on say pedestrians, which is a harder target.

I don't think banning cargo bikes, tandems, triplets, recumbents, tricycles, electrically assisted pedal cycles; flashy lights, 20 million lumen non-dipped headlamps; overtaking motor vehicles & etc would occur to Mr Evil Twin but perhaps others may disagree...

Davef

Boardman's top ten things
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2020, 03:38:11 pm »
Strict enforcement of rule 66 of Highway Code “keep both hands on handlebars at all times”. Stop and dismount before eating, drinking or waving to other cyclists.

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2020, 08:35:08 pm »
Strict enforcement of rule 66 of Highway Code “keep both hands on handlebars at all times”. Stop and dismount before eating, drinking or waving to other cyclists.

Do not signal?

Davef

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2020, 08:55:18 pm »

Do not signal?
Signalling and changing gear are allowed exceptions.

« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2020, 08:29:43 am »
Although I think Richard's Bicycle Book argued, with some justification, that cyclists should be capable of riding no hands, and do it occasionally. This is because bikes aren't really steered with the hands and it therefore helps with riding style; also, it can show up certain problems in steering and so on.

Of course, he meant exclusively when there's no traffic around.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:33:09 am »
Wasn't there a law interfering with decent cycle lanes CB wanted changed? One that results in owl neck give way lines at every turning?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:46:34 am »
owl neck give way lines
I've never heard that expression before but I'm deploying it from now on... I know of a few of those

« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:49:20 pm »
Wasn't there a law interfering with decent cycle lanes CB wanted changed? One that results in owl neck give way lines at every turning?
I think that was about giving priority to vehicles on the left of you which were going straight on, ie, don't left hook cyclists.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:50:19 pm »
If we were serious for a moment, what would be your top ten things to keep cyclists safer ?
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:50:49 pm »
Although I think Richard's Bicycle Book argued, with some justification, that cyclists should be capable of riding no hands, and do it occasionally. This is because bikes aren't really steered with the hands and it therefore helps with riding style; also, it can show up certain problems in steering and so on.

Depends entirely on the bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:51:28 pm »
If we were serious for a moment, what would be your top ten things to keep cyclists safer ?

Starter for 10: Fewer cars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2020, 02:10:14 pm »

Starter for 10: Fewer cars.
This would do so much good beyond cycling too. Even beyond transport. For a while, just recently, it even did, but most of us weren't in a situation to really appreciate it.

« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2020, 03:10:56 pm »
My understanding is that the biggest obstacle to people cycling is perceived safety, the weather and arriving somewhere sweaty.  The things that stop people cycling are having their bike stolen and the weather.
So even painting pointless bike lanes will help.

I think the #1 point would be enforcing existing traffic laws to make roads safe for cyclists/pedestrians and remove dangerous road users.  When I were a lad in Belgium it was the norm that everyone would speed on the motorway by 20-40km/h; then one year the police decided to focus on this issue for three months, loads of fines etc, and they completely changed driver behaviour.

#2 20mph zones in neighbourhood streets and 30mph on other city roads unless indicated (e.g. main roads leading into the centre).  Start with those signs that flash your speed up at you if you're speeding and monitor them; based on the data either put in speed cameras or have targeted speed monitoring by the police.

#3 A purge of unlicensed drivers, checking insurance and MOT (some of this would be a simple data exercise, some of it would be random stop and check, some of it would be targeted visits).

#4 Scrapping cars when the owner is untaxed, unlicensed or reaches the maximum points on their license (and no longer allowing people with a million points to keep driving because they need to because of their job).

#5 A 3-10 year renewal on driving licenses, including re-sitting theory and practical test.  Frequency based on how many point you have on your license.

#6 More one-way streets (with cycle counterflow) in residential areas and traffic free city centres.

#7 Government c19 car scrappage scheme and a tax break for people who don't own a car.

#8 Changing bus & cycle lanes to remain in effect 24/7, making them easier to police and easier for other road users to understand.  Have a default policy that ll two lane roads will have one lane be a Bus/Cycle lane.

#9 Police initiative on antisocial parking (e.g. on corners) and pavement parking (more of an issue in Brum I think)

#10 I dunno, maybe require helmets to be worn in cars?

(basically Kim's "Fewer cars")
simplicity, truth, equality, peace