Author Topic: Lessons for life and IWGB  (Read 528 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
Lessons for life and IWGB
« on: 04 April, 2024, 10:44:44 pm »
Comments welcomed

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=160493a

This article highlights the campaigning by IWGB - Cycling branch to secure improved terms and conditions for cycle instructors.

I would expect many on here may have heard of this campaign given members of this site are keen cyclists.

https://iwgb.org.uk/en/page/iwgb-cycling-instructors-branch/

Who we are
We’re the Cycling Instructors’ Branch of IWGB.

(For the uninitiated, cycling instructors teach bike control skills and safe road riding to adults and children. We also teach cyclist awareness courses to professional drivers, run all-ability cycling sessions and teach beginners to ride.)

Our branch started in London, where the cycle training industry has been established longest, and where we now represent a significant percentage of the instructor workforce. As the government’s Bikeability programme goes national, we’re recruiting more and more members across England.

Why we’re here
Cycling instructors work on casual contracts, are poorly paid and are vulnerable to management “initiatives” to push costs and risks onto workers. There’s been no pay rise for decades. Instructors were hammered by the Covid pandemic and the industry is struggling to retain experienced instructors, let alone recruit new ones. We’re passionate about the job, but many of us can’t afford to stay in it.

In November 2019 we decided that enough was enough, and formed a branch with IWGB. ..............

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Lessons for life
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2024, 11:02:38 pm »
OK - could you please provide some context?

Re: Lessons for life and IWGB
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2024, 10:42:54 am »
Phil's talking about The Independent Workers' Union

https://iwgb.org.uk/en/page/about-us

"The IWGB was founded in 2012 by Latin American cleaners organising for better working conditions. Since then, we have grown to thousands of members across the country.

"From outsourced facilities staff to gig economy workers, IWGB members are key workers on the frontline of the fight against poverty pay and insecure work.

"The IWGB organises couriers, cycling instructors, charity workers, yoga teachers, cleaners, security officers, video game workers, nannies, university workers, foster carers, private hire drivers and more.

"Low-paid migrant workers started the union and we believe that migrant workers are a vital part of the labour movement. After Brexit, standing up for migrants’ rights is more important than ever."

Re: Lessons for life and IWGB
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2024, 04:24:42 pm »
As a gig worker I was an IWGB member for three years.  I don't think it's yet generated enough momentum to be effective, either in terms of membership numbers or activism.  They have had some successes, though they're also keen to sign members up for legal class actions on poor conditional fee agreements, rather than raising the money to pay the lawyers.  In terms of courier benefits, if they win all couriers gain, those who were part of the action just gain less!  I left when I was unhappy with the campaigns they chose to prioritise, joined the GMB when they set up a gig workers division.
If the cycle instructors are going to join forces and campaign together, then the IWGB may be a good flag to march under, but other options might be worth exploring.  Like all activism, it just takes a few to make a lot of noise, but it takes a good proportion of those employed to speak as one before the employers listen.  I'm not sure cycle trainers will ever be unionised enough to get there.