Author Topic: Is it the end of cash?  (Read 9758 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #125 on: 06 February, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »
Perhaps it's the per transaction fees that make eftpos unviable for them on an individual level?

Don't think so.  I know 30 years ago, when it was just the 4 big banks and there was just the Visa & Mastercard cartels, and they had similar one-off transaction fee + a percentage.  However, with the rise of so many other banks, I think the majority are now just a simple percentage only charge.

I'm with SumUp which is 1.6%, and that's not too bad if the vast majority of my takings are electronic giving me a net 98.4% as it means I avoid having to queue up for 30 minutes outside the bank in the rain to pay cash in.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #126 on: 06 February, 2021, 09:41:13 pm »
My dried goods grocery shop yesterday was with cash whereas groceries today was with a card.  I also bought flour, savoury scones and cakes from our local bakery yesterday which was also a cash transaction.

The two I paid in cash are small local traders whereas the card transaction was in a national supermarket chain.

« Reply #127 on: 06 February, 2021, 10:50:39 pm »
Last night I went out to the fish and chip van. A small local business. It took contactless payment from my ‘phone.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #128 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:04:57 pm »
Last time I was in Tenerife the cafe up in the hills was cash only. The little bank round the corner had a contactless cash machine which I could use with my phone.

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #129 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:22:30 pm »
Last time I was in Tenerife the cafe up in the hills was cash only. The little bank round the corner had a contactless cash machine which I could use with my phone.
This was a possibility for Cudzo Jnr yesterday. However, it's not any cash machine; he has to get a transaction number from the bank and then use one of their machines, which was half a mile or so in the wrong direction, ie he didn't think it worth it for a burger. (I guess he wasn't really into that burger... ) That might be a feature of the Googlepay app and/or his bank rather than a universal thing.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #130 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:10:59 am »
I "dumped my wallet" at the start of lockdown in favour of this: https://www.cycleofgood.com/shop/gifts/wallets-and-purses/pocket-wallet/
which is good because:
It's made of old inner tubes; tough and cycley!
It's very slim and flat, good for a trouser or jersey pocket
Good cause etc

It wouldn't be any good for coins but you could keep banknotes in there.

Really nice stuff. Thanks

« Reply #131 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:20:09 am »
I "dumped my wallet" at the start of lockdown in favour of this: https://www.cycleofgood.com/shop/gifts/wallets-and-purses/pocket-wallet/
which is good because:
It's made of old inner tubes; tough and cycley!
It's very slim and flat, good for a trouser or jersey pocket
Good cause etc

It wouldn't be any good for coins but you could keep banknotes in there.

Really nice stuff. Thanks

I missed this first time around but I have now ordered one to see if it suits for my running needs.  Nice project.

Thanks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #132 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:32:42 am »
Yesterday I bought some dope from a homeless guy and paid by contactless. The cashless economy is reaching deep, dark corners.  :D

(It's a magazine similar to the Big Issue, I'm pretty sure he's not strictly homeless, and he seems to have some terminal-sharing arrangement with the "Cuban style" takeaway on the corner.)
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Davef

« Reply #133 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:41:27 pm »
Yesterday I bought some dope from a homeless guy and paid by contactless. The cashless economy is reaching deep, dark corners.  :D

(It's a magazine similar to the Big Issue, I'm pretty sure he's not strictly homeless, and he seems to have some terminal-sharing arrangement with the "Cuban style" takeaway on the corner.)
Some big issue sellers have contactless.

« Reply #134 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:45:06 pm »
Mrs Nutty has put a few outgrown children's toys and clothes on a local sales internet site.  So far today I've been given £6 in coin from one person and £3 in coin from another.  £9 and a new home is better than landfill.

I don't have a card machine, nor as a member of the public without a business do I have a need for one.

I think cash will last a long time.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #135 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:10:09 am »
On Tuesday I did one of my now sporadic shifts in the charity bookshop. This was an afternoon shift, so included cashing up. Takings for the day were just over £370, of which cash was precisely £11.45.

« Reply #136 on: 25 November, 2021, 09:01:25 am »
I was in one of our local independents a few days back.  The proprietor took over the business a couple of years back and decided to upgrade the systems in the shop.  His background is 30 years in IT though IT is such a broad spectrum of skills and knowledge that this might be largely irrelevant.

Anyway, the payment technology based upon an ipad and an electronic card reader just wouldn't work.  The fallback option of pieces of thin, flexible, partly transparent sheets of plastic and mainly round metal objects of varying sizes and colours was immediately instigated in it's place.

I don't know what the fault was but it didn't affect me as I had the necessary about my person unlike the other customer in the shop at the time who was the one being served when the issue first arose.