Author Topic: Recommend me a sleeping mat please!  (Read 4225 times)

Recommend me a sleeping mat please!
« on: 29 May, 2021, 03:54:46 pm »
I'm doing more hiking atm and need a decent lightweight mat. I'm only short but need some width as I'm a side sleeper. I also would prefer something that doesn't require the strength of 10 to put away. I would prefer sonething that didn't squeak and rustle as well.

Any ideas folks?
Reine de la Fauche

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Recommend me a sleeping mat please!
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:06:43 pm »

I love my Exped Synmat HL. It's not the quietest sleep mat on the planet, but it's comfortable, warm, and relatively easy to pack away. The schnozzel bag makes inflation really easy too.

Highly recommend.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:08:15 pm »
Therm-a-Rest is the default option I believe.

We bought the lad one of these https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-mat-D2424416.html?colour=133 for his DofE and he was very happy with it.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2021, 04:51:03 pm »
Also for Thermarest.
I've had two Exped Downmats and both failed. One had two months on the guarantee and was replaced.
The replacement failed a few months after the guarantee.
Alpkit have a newish type out with like a diamond pattern (available at a fraction of the price on eBay). It looks comfy and there is a least one in use by a bivi camper otp.
I will get one when it comes out in 4' length.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:14:01 pm »
Also for Thermarest.
I've had two Exped Downmats and both failed. One had two months on the guarantee and was replaced.
Alpkit have a newish type out with like a diamond pattern (available at a fraction of the price on eBay). It looks comfy and there is a least one in use by a bivi camper otp.
I will get one when it comes out in 4' length.

I've got the Alpkit cloudbase and it's a lotlonger then I need and too narrow. I'll look at Thermarest I think....
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »

They're still worth it IMHO.  If they could beef up the welding of the seams, they'd be perfect.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2021, 06:58:07 pm »
You can get an extrawide Thermarest. I have one. Got it from backpackinglight.co.uk IIRC.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2021, 07:16:42 pm »
If short consider the 3/4 length mats to save a bit more weight and size

« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2021, 10:59:25 pm »
They're still worth it IMHO.  If they could beef up the welding of the seams, they'd be perfect.
The latest trend seems to be a button/cell construction rather than tubes, otherwise similar properties.  I have an Exped syncellmat, though have yet to use it in the wild, it's like oversized bubble wrap.  Sea to Summit are so confident in the designs of some models, they're offering lifetime warranty.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2021, 09:30:57 am »
I’ve just got a Trekology UL140.  I’ve yet to try it ‘in the wild’ but when I tried it at home it was fab.

Downside is it’s a bit of a bugger to repack. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:33:38 am »
I’ve just got a Trekology UL140.  I’ve yet to try it ‘in the wild’ but when I tried it at home it was fab.

Downside is it’s a bit of a bugger to repack.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Arthritis in my hands is making the packing difficult!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2021, 01:03:28 pm »

My second one, the baffle in the outlet has failed and when you deflate it it spurts out down. A known faulty according to the importer.
If you leave the plug in it deflates itself over a few days. OK in a van but no use at all on a bike. :)

With my Thermarest I use a cut down car windscreen cover underneath if it is going to be cold. Not that I ever expect to camp cold again, ever.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:38:35 am »
I've found the Sea to Summit inflatable mats to be very comfortable and dependable (as in, less likely than most to spring a leak when you're sleeping on them). They come in different thicknesses and insulation levels. They all come with a stuff sack that doubles as an inflator.

« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:37:40 am »

This side-sleeping shorty is still using a Big Agnes Q-Core https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85374.0 with a cotton liner around it to reduce mat-grounsheet squeaking.

I tend to undo the valve when I get up and then it's mostly deflated itself by the time I've sorted breakfast etc and am ready to pack up. Rather than rolling it, I fold it into a flat package that sits at the back of my pannier. Might that be an arthritis-friendly approach that also works with rucksacks?

I've got a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated Mat too, having grabbed one when they were on offer. I haven't used it in the wild yet. IIRC it doesn't pack as small as the Big Agnes.

« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:22:22 am »

This side-sleeping shorty is still using a Big Agnes Q-Core https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85374.0 with a cotton liner around it to reduce mat-grounsheet squeaking.

I tend to undo the valve when I get up and then it's mostly deflated itself by the time I've sorted breakfast etc and am ready to pack up. Rather than rolling it, I fold it into a flat package that sits at the back of my pannier. Might that be an arthritis-friendly approach that also works with rucksacks?

I've got a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated Mat too, having grabbed one when they were on offer. I haven't used it in the wild yet. IIRC it doesn't pack as small as the Big Agnes.

I must admit I'm tending towards the Sea to Summit one, I'd really prefer not to squeak...
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2021, 07:59:32 am »
How light do you want and what is your budget. I've recently bought two Trekology UL80 mats and we tried them out the weekend before last (when it was cold and wet!). VERY comfortable. The price for this comfort is the weight of 750g. For us this is price well worth paying. I'm a side sleeper now in my 60s so I really appreciate the extra thickness of this mat. We also used Highlander reflective mats (100g) underneath which are extremely effective (you only have to feel the difference in temp between putting your hand directly on the groundsheet and the reflective mat. A bargain at £12 for the two delivered. The UL80 is easy to roll up and put in its bag. We also bought the Trekology 30L pump bag to go with them which make inflation easy.

« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2021, 08:53:11 am »
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2021, 10:53:57 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a sea to summit womens ether lite  on the way! I'll post a review once I've used it a few times. Splashed out and bought the chair kit as well, light enough for backpacking.
Reine de la Fauche

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2021, 02:02:18 pm »

We bought the lad one of these https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-mat-D2424416.html?colour=133 for his DofE and he was very happy with it.

Was reading the spec for this and it gives the "open dimensions" but only says it packs down to a "small size" - don't suppose you are able to measure what the folded/ packed size is?

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2021, 02:37:08 pm »

Was reading the spec for this and it gives the "open dimensions" but only says it packs down to a "small size" - don't suppose you are able to measure what the folded/ packed size is?
Sorry, I lied. It was actually one of these - https://www.facewest.co.uk/thermarest-evolite-plus.html

It's sac is a cylinder 10" long x 6" dia. There's a distinct way to get the mattress into the sac. Roll the mat up full width once from foot to head expelling the air. Close the valve. Unroll. Flap the sides in so that as you roll there are effectively three layers. As you reach the head again expel the final bit of air. It's now a doddle getting it into the sac.
Rust never sleeps

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2021, 02:39:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:^^^