Author Topic: Your dream workshop/garage  (Read 2470 times)

Your dream workshop/garage
« on: 05 June, 2021, 01:29:06 pm »
To parallel Beardy's thread in Vroom about what cars you would have in your dream garage, there's clearly an unsated need for people to outline what they would have in their garage to satisfy the fettling urge.

Off you go.
Rust never sleeps

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Your dream workshop/garage
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2021, 01:58:01 pm »
I would start with having a garage  ;D The shared parking garage underneath the building is ill-lit and cold.

I do have a workshop of sorts (2.7 x 1.9 meters) where I manage some basic fettling with wood. Fortunately we have a "city workshop" where, for little money, you can use a big sliding table saw, industrial planer and thicknesser etc..

On the wish list is a (used) Festool EHL-65 hand plane; what can I say, I just have a fetish for systainers   :-*

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2021, 02:02:33 pm »
I think all I'd need or want is a pillar drill and a small lathe, something like a Unimate.  The important thing would be to have the space.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2021, 02:11:52 pm »
This won't be everything.

A pit
A strong enough roof to be able to run a chain hoist on rails
Cabinets by Dura (https://www.duragarages.com/)
Lathe
Milling machine
Pillar drill
A press
A cleaning/degreasing station
A woodworking area
A dedicated bike fettling area
General purpose engineering workbench
Room for the five wishlist vehicles in Beardy's thread
Room for the bikes
Room for the Sprite and the motorbike
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2021, 02:55:43 pm »
This won't be everything.

A pit
A strong enough roof to be able to run a chain hoist on rails
Cabinets by Dura (https://www.duragarages.com/)
Lathe
Milling machine
Pillar drill
A press
A cleaning/degreasing station
A woodworking area
A dedicated bike fettling area
General purpose engineering workbench
Room for the five wishlist vehicles in Beardy's thread
Room for the bikes
Room for the Sprite and the motorbike
By definition, it'll never be everything.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2021, 04:09:30 pm »
Four posts in and nobody’s mentioned a beer fridge.

You should be ashamed of yourselves

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2021, 05:07:59 pm »
Cold beer!?  Are you .... *whispers* an American?  I really must find a darkened room to lie down in and a damp flannel for my fevered brow.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »
I think all I'd need or want is a pillar drill and a small lathe, something like a Unimate.  The important thing would be to have the space.

Unimat 3 lathe, tick.
Pillar drill - tick.
 :P
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:36:12 pm »
Same as Zed43 - first of all I'd like a garage.  Would need to be secure, accessible from the house, and centrally heated.  At the moment the workshop and much of the bike collection occupies what used to be the largest bedroom.  Only issue is carrying bikes up and down a narrow staircase ... And fortunately Mrs Socks is very tolerant.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:48:26 pm »
for the car side of the garage an air compressor, air tools and air lines around the walls with connection points.
Car lift of course. I would settle for hydraulic ramps to lift the MX5 to a decent working height.

On the workshop side of the garage an electronics bench. Sturdy bench for laying out projects. Eye level shelf with the oscilloscope, signal generator, voltage supplies.
A wall with those plastic parts bins - both the open hoppers and the little drawers full of nuts and bolts or resistors.
Not decided about tool storage - maybe pegboards with places for all tools, or maybe drawers under the bench.

Would love to gather my grandfathers and fathers tools together. Grandfather was a plumber and had leadworking tools. Also had a set of wooden planes. All scattered around the family or lost.

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »
... Only issue is carrying bikes up and down a narrow staircase ... And fortunately Mrs Socks is very tolerant.

She must be - Mrs W wouldn't carry bikes upstairs for me...  :P
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2021, 10:11:51 pm »
At least twice the size of my current one and with a roof that didn't leak. Only tools that i need to add are a 7" lathe and a small milling machine (and a revised gas welding set). The rest I've got, apart from a pit but I really don't want to work on cars and I've got lots of supports (and a set of ramps). I suppose a future requirement would be a charger for an electric utility vehicle but we aren't there yet!

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:11:08 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1241.msg2211214#msg2211214 but with enough height for me to stand under the car, and with a good bit more clearance around the ends of the car.

It would be nice to be able to open the main garage door with the car up on the lift.

I will get a proper smooth floor one day.

Lifts are infinitely preferable to pits, IMHO
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:34:40 pm »
Pits are, well, the pits.

I have a mate who plays with Rileys (and Mk2 Jags) and has a workshop to match. About 4 cars inside, lift, welding gear,  metalwork stuff, sewing, etc etc etc. Hardly jealous at all. Just in case you thought he was an allround good guy as a result, he did vote for Brexit.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Your dream workshop/garage
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:34:59 pm »
Cold beer!?  Are you .... *whispers* an American?  I really must find a darkened room to lie down in and a damp flannel for my fevered brow.

Quite. Beer goes in the cellar. Although a brewing fridge would be useful, for keeping the home brew at a reasonable temperature in summer.

As for the workshop/garage, I’d just like one that doesn’t have a leaky asbestos roof, or get filled up every autumn with leaves from the several of oak trees on next door’s land. Also a door that isn’t at risk of falling in your head every time you open it would be nice.

After that, I’d like to get rid of the awful furniture that my wife insisted on liberating from her late cousin’s flat that has been sitting there for years, taking up valuable bike storage space. It’s probably all mouldy and rotten by now but I daren’t look under the tarpaulin that’s covering it.

Once those bits are sorted, I can think about the rest. No need for pits/lifts - I’m not a car person. The Park workstand covers most of my needs.

A smooth painted floor would be nice. And proper storage for tools and hardware is probably the priority.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2021, 01:52:01 pm »
Polished concrete floor, with carpet around the perimeter, ie concrete for car tyres, carpet for feet.

Automatic/remote controlled roller door, definitely don't want and up and over door garage door. No gap below door for leaves and spiders to get in.

At least a double width entrance. 

Direct entrance to house.

Adequate lighting, pref not flurorescent.

I also want a car port for when I'm lazy and don't want to open a door.

Car wise, an Opel Manta, I'll even take the new E version they're developed.

Adam West Batmobile.

Honda Goldwing

Maybach (for the tescos run)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2021, 02:30:28 pm »
i'd have a proper workshop/training studio - not too interested in cars unless someone created a bespoke one for me..

in workshop (all high end stuff obvs):
3d printers - plastic and titanium
5-axis cnc milling machine
cnc lathe/turning machine
fully equipped bike maintenance station, with washing/drying station just outside
welding/brazing kit
polishing and anodising equipment
erm.. a solar powered soundproofed crypto mining rig (or few), with battery backup units
(i'd be happy to outsource the woodworking as i don't want the dust anywhere near me)

in training studio:
a weights section
treadmill
bike turbo trainer with a couple of screens
hi-fi audio
proper cooling all year round

this would be good enough for starters.

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:43:38 pm »
I'm happy with the contents of our outdoor storage, as I don't really do fettling, but I'd like it to be twice the size, heated, and have shadow boards for tools. Lifting weights in sub zero temps did nothing for winter motivation.

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2021, 09:28:23 am »
I've already done alright, it's got double doors high enough for a camper van, and a loft, and a beer fridge (and cupboard).

Alas I've filled it with stuff, the bike store, lathe, tools (so many tools), a climbing wall, the old kitchen units, several workbenches, ham radio equipment.

I'd really like some more woodworking tools, a planner thicknesser, and a table saw (I borrow my dads portable one), but I've got to keep some room for my dads 3 axis milling machine, 3 phase pillar drill and snap on boxes, when he gets to the age that it's time for them to move on.

I think I'd like a workshop extension.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.