Author Topic: Closed level crossings  (Read 14545 times)

Re: Closed level crossings
« Reply #50 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:53:37 pm »
There are a fair few roads like this on the eastern end of the Central Line of the London tube network.  That bit of line was originally a Great Eastern Railway branch line until being taken over by the tube network around the time of the Second World War and converted to third rail electric in the late 1940s.  Of course, that meant the existing level crossings all had to be closed for obvious safety reasons.  Some, like the crossing at South Woodford Station, George Lane, South Woodford, E18 were replaced with new bridges and revised road layouts.  Others, like Snakes Lanes, Woodford Green and (I think) Eagle Lane, Wanstead, were replaced with pedestrian only subways.  All effectively cutting the road in half.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #51 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:13:41 pm »
There is a recent example of this at the west end of Feltham station. Plenty of 3rd rail level crossings still exist on National Rail though.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #52 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:59:02 pm »
There are a fair few roads like this on the eastern end of the Central Line of the London tube network.  That bit of line was originally a Great Eastern Railway branch line until being taken over by the tube network around the time of the Second World War and converted to third rail electric in the late 1940s.  Of course, that meant the existing level crossings all had to be closed for obvious safety reasons.  Some, like the crossing at South Woodford Station, George Lane, South Woodford, E18 were replaced with new bridges and revised road layouts.  Others, like Snakes Lanes, Woodford Green and (I think) Eagle Lane, Wanstead, were replaced with pedestrian only subways.  All effectively cutting the road in half.

Not quite the same thing but this reminds me that there's something similar by New Beckenham station - at least, I think that's what is going on - it looks likely, from the map view - although there's no visible evidence it was ever a level crossing. Anyway, there's a pedestrian tunnel under the rail line and it's a useful cut-through from Park Rd to Lennard Rd when I'm cycling from Bromley into central London via East Dulwich (I have a few different routes and this variant is possibly my favourite).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #53 on: 19 November, 2021, 08:44:08 pm »
There’s a manned crossing near me, on a lane frequently used by cyclists . They’ve fitted chains and padlocks on the pedestrian gates due to frequent cases of cyclists going across closed gates, and despite being told by the keeper that a train was due.

« Reply #54 on: 19 November, 2021, 10:03:10 pm »
Turns out this one was mentioned in the HoC by Airey Neave, Thatcher's Northern Ireland enforcer

An interesting fellow - escaped from Colditz and made it back to the UK after walking to Gibraltar, then joined the Nuremberg trials and as a fluent German speaker was in charge of delivering the indictments.

There's an interesting one on the London Reading line, level crossing replaced by an combined cycle and pedestrian bridge.  https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4479243,-0.4116772,3a,75y,164.06h,91.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6tFUHqnAcENKhn3pLqnJyw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D6tFUHqnAcENKhn3pLqnJyw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D92.877594%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #55 on: 22 November, 2021, 11:25:58 am »

Not quite the same thing but this reminds me that there's something similar by New Beckenham station - at least, I think that's what is going on - it looks likely, from the map view - although there's no visible evidence it was ever a level crossing. Anyway, there's a pedestrian tunnel under the rail line and it's a useful cut-through from Park Rd to Lennard Rd when I'm cycling from Bromley into central London via East Dulwich (I have a few different routes and this variant is possibly my favourite).
That one seems to have been built as a subway/overbridge when the railway was built
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

citoyen

« Reply #56 on: 22 November, 2021, 11:45:52 am »
That one seems to have been built as a subway/overbridge when the railway was built

Yes, that seems quite likely.

From the map view, it looks obvious that the road predated the railway line, but if there ever was a level crossing, there's no visible evidence remaining.

An interesting fellow - escaped from Colditz and made it back to the UK after walking to Gibraltar, then joined the Nuremberg trials and as a fluent German speaker was in charge of delivering the indictments.

I read his Colditz books as a teen (early 80s), and on trying to find out more about what had become of him, was shocked to discover that he'd got himself blown up by the IRA. That sucks.

« Reply #57 on: 22 November, 2021, 12:06:43 pm »
Turns out this one was mentioned in the HoC by Airey Neave, Thatcher's Northern Ireland enforcer

There's an interesting one on the London Reading line, level crossing replaced by an combined cycle and pedestrian bridge.  https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4479243,-0.4116772,3a,75y,164.06h,91.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6tFUHqnAcENKhn3pLqnJyw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D6tFUHqnAcENKhn3pLqnJyw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D92.877594%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

That's the Feltham example mentioned telstarbox above. Interestingly I think this was more to do with the need to lengthen the platforms for the new 10 car trains as well as the desire to remove the level crossing for track safety and journey times. Unfortunately I am not sure how they will solve the level crossings between Staines and Egham (2), Egham and Virginia Water (2) or the one on the A30 at Sunningdale. They are removing one of the 3 between Bracknell and Wokingham but I haven't seen any plans for the other two yet.
The ones further into London between Richmond and Barnes must be a real pig for the residents as there are so many trains on the line they are probably closed more than they are open.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #58 on: 22 November, 2021, 12:19:33 pm »
The ones further into London between Richmond and Barnes must be a real pig for the residents as there are so many trains on the line they are probably closed more than they are open.
Horton Rd in Gloucester is like that. Five tracks forming a Y-shaped junction with the station just a mile to the west, where all the tracks join. I've been waiting there for ten minutes or more at a time. (In fact I thought they'd closed this and built a footbridge but streetview shows it still open.) https://goo.gl/maps/SLLTcw86rAVntUvT6
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #59 on: 22 November, 2021, 12:40:45 pm »

They always were! I lived there forty years ago and Mortlake was a strangely isolated place - nothing of note there anyway except for the largest Watneys brewery in London (now defunct). Even then the line was at capacity during rush hour. Fortunately there were plenty of footbridges.

« Reply #60 on: 22 November, 2021, 12:44:44 pm »

Horton Rd in Gloucester is like that. Five tracks forming a Y-shaped junction with the station just a mile to the west, where all the tracks join. I've been waiting there for ten minutes or more at a time. (In fact I thought they'd closed this and built a footbridge but streetview shows it still open.) https://goo.gl/maps/SLLTcw86rAVntUvT6
I tried it one - never again. Trains go into Gloucester station, stop and reverse out again: I'm sure the level crossing stays closed for the whole manoevre.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:12:07 pm »

Yes, that seems quite likely.

From the map view, it looks obvious that the road predated the railway line, but if there ever was a level crossing, there's no visible evidence remaining.

I read his Colditz books as a teen (early 80s), and on trying to find out more about what had become of him, was shocked to discover that he'd got himself blown up by the IRA. That sucks.

I think it was the INLA?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #62 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
Or was it the MPLA?
Or the UDA?
Or the IRA?
I thought it was the UK.

[“Piss off, Rotten, you sell-out!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #63 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:05:32 pm »
There are a surprising number still across mainlines in the SW.  One I regularly use is open to all vehicles, but until recently you couldn't gpx across it.

The one across six tracks by Exeter St David's is the most impressive.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:12:31 pm »
Apparently there is a manually operated LC across seven tracks somewhere in Norfolk. Four tracks of ECML and three of another line running alongside. There is a slight gap between the two and in the past it used to be two separate crossings – supposedly the crossing operator used to leave people stranded there if they annoyed him.

Ed: Found a video of what is probably the same one. Six tracks not seven and it's in Cambridgeshire.
https://youtu.be/YfYWKEroQZE

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 22 November, 2021, 04:21:51 pm »
I think it was the INLA?

Probably, I don't remember. One of those republican groups anyway. Unless you believe the conspiracy theories...

« Reply #66 on: 22 November, 2021, 05:54:41 pm »
I think it was the INLA?

Probably, I don't remember. One of those republican groups anyway. Unless you believe the conspiracy theories...

Blimey!  I'd forgotten about most of that.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_Neave#Conspiracy_theories

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #67 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:04:08 am »
Not a level crossing, but a road cut in half by the A419 dualling in the mid-90s.  It is a PITA if you're on a bike and want to get to Driffield from South Cerney, requiring either a long detour or a very hairy crossing on foot, a few hundred yards away where there is a joke footpath.

The funny thing is that no-one has been arsed to change the road sign.  In 25 years.

Northmoor Ln
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ihrCR8Z7CXgBfaUa6
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #68 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:03:46 pm »
Apparently there is a manually operated LC across seven tracks somewhere in Norfolk. Four tracks of ECML and three of another line running alongside. There is a slight gap between the two and in the past it used to be two separate crossings – supposedly the crossing operator used to leave people stranded there if they annoyed him.

Ed: Found a video of what is probably the same one. Six tracks not seven and it's in Cambridgeshire.
https://youtu.be/YfYWKEroQZE

It may be this one a bit further E, you ring a bell and wait for someone (only 5 lanes):
I reckon I waited about 10 mins with nothing happening so assumed if the gap needed to be at least 10 mins then I could dawdle across and savour the experience.  Crossing keeper was not amused.

Also on ECML further towards NW Pbo, this one looks fun (steps)

In the past I had fun on a bit further up the line - road closed to traffic, except cyclists, it said. (by Maxey cut)
But the level X was shut fast and no amount of waiting etc.
Eventually I rang the remote keeper and explained.
We'll open it up for you after the next train they said, which they duly did.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #69 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:48:37 pm »
As soon as you get off the roads and onto the droves and bridleways round here you soon come across user operated level crossings. I can also think of at least two manually operated crossing gates with a little man coming out to move them, one in Littleport  and another at Shippea Hill which is also a request only stop.

When I'm just heading out at random I can often come across a drove that ends at a drainage ditch and carries on on the other side
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #70 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:48:32 am »
Also on ECML further towards NW Pbo, this one looks fun (steps)

Standard UK cycle route.  >:( Trikes not allowed, tourers, shoppers and kids not welcome.

« Reply #71 on: 02 August, 2022, 01:24:25 pm »
Not a level crossing, but a road cut in half by the A419 dualling in the mid-90s.  It is a PITA if you're on a bike and want to get to Driffield from South Cerney, requiring either a long detour or a very hairy crossing on foot, a few hundred yards away where there is a joke footpath.

The funny thing is that no-one has been arsed to change the road sign.  In 25 years.

Northmoor Ln
And it wouldn't even be that hard to at least go some way to resolving the disconnect.

« Reply #72 on: 02 August, 2022, 05:22:34 pm »

Northmoor Ln
And it wouldn't even be that hard to at least go some way to resolving the disconnect.

At least that one only affects you if you want to go from South Cerney to Driffield - if you want to go anywhere beyond it's shorter and quicker to take the turning at the top of the map (Driffield is a bit of a dead end). The worse one on that road is at Cricklade - the only way to cross the dual carriageway without getting on it is via an obscure and almost unrideable footpath. Quite what the planners were thinking of there I don't know, presumably they thought that no-one would ever want to go to Cricklade except by car (and even that's awkward). Who knows?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 02 August, 2022, 05:47:00 pm »
Two ways of crossing the A419 at or near Cricklade that are doable by bike. One is the path visible here going round the back of "North Meadow Livery" then twisting steeply up to emerge alongside the slip road, visible here:
https://goo.gl/maps/UKdY1hM41KPmF7w39
I presume this is the "obscure and almost unrideable footpath" referred to.

The other one is even further out of town, and probably even more obscure, down what looks like a farm track, but is in fact a road, here:
https://goo.gl/maps/REKEjmdNCZy55tVT7

« Reply #74 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:19:24 pm »
Two ways of crossing the A419 at or near Cricklade that are doable by bike. One is the path visible here going round the back of "North Meadow Livery" then twisting steeply up to emerge alongside the slip road, visible here:
https://goo.gl/maps/UKdY1hM41KPmF7w39
I presume this is the "obscure and almost unrideable footpath" referred to.

The other one is even further out of town, and probably even more obscure, down what looks like a farm track, but is in fact a road, here:
https://goo.gl/maps/REKEjmdNCZy55tVT7

It was indeed the first I meant - unfortunately the aerial view doesn't tell you anything about the surface quality. I didn't know about the second - thanks for the tip - but it's really only sensible for going between Cricklade and Latton, and were I going to Latton I wouldn't go through Cricklade.