Author Topic: 'Ethical' t-shirts  (Read 1199 times)

'Ethical' t-shirts
« on: 27 July, 2021, 08:01:04 pm »
Having not been wearing 'business casual' for the last 15 months, my t-shirts are beginning to wear out. As is the way of these things, I think a whole load will get to the 'beyond' stage all together, thus requiring replacements to be obtained.
I have two sources of such garments, either stuff with logos (festivals, bands, events, organisations I belong to) or Rohan. The Rohan ones are very good in many ways and are certainly long lasting (as they should be at that price), but they do contain artificial fibres to some extent.
Anyone got any suggestions for replacements which are (at least) vaguely ethical and with a lower environmental footprint?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: 'Ethical' t-shirts
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:08:44 pm »
The lowest footprint would be second hand but it might take some scouring of charity shops to fit something that fits and you would wear.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:13:29 pm »
I just go for Howies. They last reasonably ok, better than some more expensive brands that I’ve had. Buy 3 and they are £18. I think the newer XXV ones have a stronger neck, and the difference in fit from the standard ones is minimal.

When I push the boat out I go for Icebreaker. I’ve never managed to wear any of their stuff out, still own every Icebreaker thing I’ve bought.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:23:06 pm »
This could be one of those ethically difficult areas - cotton is a natural fibre but, to my understanding, much cotton is grown in a not particularly environmental friendly way.  That said, with a cycling theme, my wife has just bought me a couple of Hanseeno shirts (94% cotton, 6% elastane) which have slightly less shipping miles (made in Czech Republic) than some.  It's Adam (20 grand tour finishes in a row) Hansen's brand.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:32:00 pm »
Finisterre is a brand worth looking at, as is Greenbomb.

The Finisterre seem to be better overall quality but I have three Greenbomb t-shirts with a cycling themed splash on them.  I do like Finisterre products and have two of their jackets.

I have some Howies but I would put them third in the list of three here for quality.  Just my opinion you understand.

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:52:24 pm »
Thanks everybody. Some decent looking stuff there. I now have to resist the temptation to buy loads and loads of stuff.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2021, 06:45:45 am »
Try rapanui