Author Topic: What's in your bedside table?  (Read 5519 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: What's in your bedside table?
« Reply #25 on: 31 July, 2021, 10:13:58 pm »
And fboab mentioned what everyone else glossed over ;D

And raised a good question. If you don't keep your deodorant in the bedside table, where do you keep it?

That's what you meant right?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2021, 08:59:11 am »
Bottom drawer - a mantilla, a wedding ring shawl and a sarong.
Middle drawer - a silk scarf, a taffeta wrap and a dress belt
Top drawer - a purse, an alice band, three hair ties, a hair clip, 1g of brufen, a random bit of silicone, charger cable, fluffy pink socks (ice feet for the warming of) and four wooden disks (no idea).
Top - The Road To McCarthy, Dear Friend &  Gardener, Kindle, lamp, pen, watch, cork mat occasionally with mug of tea on it.

« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:12:07 am »
On top is a light and space for glasses, watch  and phone.
There are three drawers, containing
Some spare toiletries.
Hair removal equipment.
Several pairs of old glasses.
A handful of old brevet cards and paper diaries from touring.
Leather strap, in case I'm missing my Brooks.
Spare jewellery.
Photo of Mrs Dan at our wedding.

A handful of books and magazines on the floor, but i rarely read much in bed so they've been there a while.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:17:23 am »

And raised a good question. If you don't keep your deodorant in the bedside table, where do you keep it?

With other grooming things on a shelf in my wardrobe - near a mirror. I rarely need it that close to hand in the night, or for it to be that discreet. We've been together long enough to acknowledge the use of deoderant.

« Reply #29 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:29:59 am »

That's what you meant right?

J

My deodorant and other toiletries live in the bathroom.

I have no need for felt tipped pens...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2021, 10:36:12 am »
Further investigation revealed a couple of lightbulbs, a couple of of remote controls for long-dead electronica and a compass.  I have absolutely no idea where the last-named came from ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2021, 12:05:27 pm »

Not glossing over it, just that mine is too big to fit in the bedside drawer, especially with the belt my wife uses to strap it on.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 01 August, 2021, 01:15:12 pm »

Not glossing over it, just that mine is too big to fit in the bedside drawer, especially with the belt my wife uses to strap it on.

I have one on the shelf in the living room. Either any visitors are too polite to mention it. Or noone notices. Given the sort of friends who visit. I'm going with the later. But then mine doesn't have a belt... and I don't have a wife ...

J
--

ian

« Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2021, 12:28:21 pm »

Yes, we keep all those things in the display cabinet in case we have guests.

Mine? Glowy alarm clock thing, pile of half-read books and Kindle. Random crap in the drawers, and yes, obligatory out-of-date condoms (probably, but if you have to check..). After twenty years, buying the big boxes is probably unwarranted optimism, we should go back to three-packs.

« Reply #34 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:33:47 pm »
The usual dull stuff,  an Anglepoise lamp, landline phone, mobile phone, remote control for the radio alarm clock .  Usually a glass of water.    A few books in the lower part of the cabinet.

A large flashlight lives on the floor next to it.   Yes,  I did spell that correctly......  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:35:18 pm »

With other grooming things on a shelf in my wardrobe - near a mirror. I rarely need it that close to hand in the night, or for it to be that discreet. We've been together long enough to acknowledge the use of deoderant.

Is it wrong that I don't own any deodorant?

« Reply #36 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:38:53 pm »
Seems like one of those things that's in the nose of those near you. I've no judgement to make :)

« Reply #37 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:44:02 pm »

I work in an office. Rules are different there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:44:29 pm »

I recently threw out the empty can of the last deodorant I bought... probably two years ago. And I've not replaced it.

Doesn't seem quite so imperative for WFH, but maybe I should get some for office days now that we're going back regularly - especially as I'm incorporating some long-ish bike rides into my commute, and we don't have showers at work.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #39 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:54:45 pm »
No deodorant here either.  Can't recall anyone at work complaining.      The younger chaps seem to spray themselves down with Lynx on a regular basis.   Not the most subtle of fragrances...  Issy Miyake for me, or Tom Ford if I'm feeling extravagant.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:58:53 pm »
It's more that I'm just not that smelly, unless I've actually been doing exercise (or sweating profusely due to illness or unseasonal weather), at which point my preferred solution is to wash.

I'm not like barakta, who can start to smell in the time it takes to get dressed after a bath, and needs industrial-strength antiperspirant when it's hot.

Or my ex who must sweat distilled water or something, and can go weeks without washing with only mildly shiny hair to show for it.

(My pet hate is people wearing deodorant that does nothing but reek, as if noses can only smell one thing at a time or something.  Now you have two problems.  I think Lynx is more of a territorial thing than an attempt to mask BO.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 02 August, 2021, 04:58:11 pm »
I was actually going to say similar and then thought I would get BO shamed.
My body does something to deoderant/anti perspirant. It doesn't stop me sweating and then it just makes a bloody horrible smell of whatever reaction takes place between my sweat and that stuff. It's disgusting. I get on better applying a little perfume on my clothes.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #42 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:04:13 pm »
Neither myself nor my wife use deodorants. Just fortunate in not having the bacteria that cause BO on our skins I guess. Others, like a erstwhile HR manager, one Ken “BO” Reith, smellable from a range of 2m plus, are less fortunate.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #43 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:08:13 pm »

No.  I find that good personal hygiene does the job 99% plus of the time.  I do own some but it rarely gets used though I am susceptible to perspiring in even moderate heat and I concern myself that those in close proximity might find me more pungent than I intended.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »

So the things that impresses me the most are:

- number of people who use the bedside table as a random junk location for things that have no other home
- number of people who said what they had on their bedside table, not in it...

I'm still no further forward in my furniture design...

J
--

ian

« Reply #45 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:17:05 pm »
I'm terrified of smelling bad. I'm not sure if I do, but I'm convinced I do, even though I shower twice a day (mostly after spending 45 minutes in a swimming pool).

That said, I mostly use the unscented stuff.

There are plenty of people out there who do need to use deodorant and get over their bathshyness.

That said, I've never felt the need to deodorize while in bed, so I keep that stuff in the bathroom.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 02 August, 2021, 09:58:53 pm »
So the things that impresses me the most are:

- number of people who use the bedside table as a random junk location for things that have no other home
- number of people who said what they had on their bedside table, not in it...

Also, nobody has suggested a Small Gideons' Bible.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #47 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:05:54 pm »
Or the Book of Mormon.

« Reply #48 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:10:06 pm »
Have just looked and found

An Aiwa minidisk player, probably been there at least a decade, unused
A Feliway spray for calming cats, unused since the cat arrived from France.  It had no noticeable effect, the cat is only calm when asleep or pretending to be so. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #49 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:14:05 pm »
Feliway is snake oil/woo, as far as I can work out
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.