Author Topic: Main stream media fact checking…  (Read 573 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Main stream media fact checking…
« on: 26 October, 2021, 09:12:33 am »
I think most people would agree that main stream media can be a little creative when it comes to the facts it reports and it’s no great surprise when one or other of the outlets is caught out.

This mornings very public display of their disingenuity is probably the best example of their failure to check.

That nice Mr Sunak has said that the public sector pay freeze is going to end. Huzzah. No suggestion as to whether the forthcoming pay rise will be enough to buy you a cup of instant coffee from a greasy spoon, or a cup of artfully topped fresh ground form an emporium of hipsta delight. Boo. And the interpretation of the facts are, as one would expect, a little free form. But the biggest, glaringly obvious fail is the difference in the numbers affected by this.

Starting go with the Torygraph, who report “Pay rise for 5m”, then there is the Daily Fail with “Pay rise for 7 million” and finally The Daily Excess with “8 million to get wage rise”
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Main stream media fact checking…
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:23:31 am »
I wish the BBC would grasp that inflation going from 4% to 3% does not mean "prices fell this month"  :facepalm:

It's similar to the budget deficit.  A falling deficit does not mean we are repaying the national debt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Main stream media fact checking…
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2021, 12:07:53 pm »
I'm not sure you can describe the Torygraph, the Daily Heil or the Sexpress 'mainstream media' these days.   They're definitely extremist...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor