Author Topic: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods  (Read 5279 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2021, 10:51:33 pm »
LTNs are "apartheid" according to councillor.
He said: “We are in a very bad situation. The language and temperature have gone up.

“I used the word ‘apartheid’ as Hounslow seems to be preventing people from using their vehicles.”

Referring to the legislation in force in South Africa until the mid-1980s which imposed severe restrictions on black people in terms of travel, residence, employment and citizenship, McGregor said: “What I meant were the pass laws. That’s actually what is happening in Chiswick right now.

“The council has no desire to hear what we have to say.”
https://road.cc/content/news/hounslow-tory-leader-apologises-ltn-apartheid-comparison-287799
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:09:20 am »
Given he’s a Tory, are we certain he thinks apartheid was a bad thing?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:11:39 am »
The worst thing about apartheid was Nelson Mandela's issue with using his wankpanzer whenever he wanted to.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:52:15 am »
LTNs are "apartheid" according to councillor.
He said: “We are in a very bad situation. The language and temperature have gone up.

“I used the word ‘apartheid’ as Hounslow seems to be preventing people from using their vehicles.”

Referring to the legislation in force in South Africa until the mid-1980s which imposed severe restrictions on black people in terms of travel, residence, employment and citizenship, McGregor said: “What I meant were the pass laws. That’s actually what is happening in Chiswick right now.

“The council has no desire to hear what we have to say.”
https://road.cc/content/news/hounslow-tory-leader-apologises-ltn-apartheid-comparison-287799

Is the first sentence of the councilors quote referring to the second sentence? Otherwise my irony meter just went off the scale.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

ian

« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2021, 04:19:52 pm »
The worst thing about apartheid was Nelson Mandela's issue with using his wankpanzer whenever he wanted to.

I've been to Soweto, he's right, the car parking is terrible. I'm pretty sure that was what the original protests were about.