Author Topic: Peoples Energy: any experiences and/or knowledge of this supplier please?  (Read 42648 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Peoples Energy: any experiences and/or knowledge of this supplier please?
« Reply #525 on: 13 January, 2023, 07:40:37 pm »
Yes. The idea that a company simply buys stuff, builds them into a thing, and sells them at a profit is so passe!

There's no gain to the Financial Services Industry from that business model!

No, darling! It's all about Growth!
You need Growth! Don't even question that!
And to do that, you need finance!
Line up, line up!

felstedrider

« Reply #526 on: 13 January, 2023, 07:50:58 pm »
Part of what we do is look at peoples financial models and pick holes in them.  For all the Smartest Guys In The Room you meet in banks they make some surprisingly odd choices of investment.   It’s almost like the model assumptions work backwards to create the return that gets the deal signed off.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #527 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:46:37 pm »
Yes. The idea that a company simply buys stuff, builds them into a thing, and sells them at a profit is so passe!

There's no gain to the Financial Services Industry from that business model!

No, darling! It's all about Growth!
You need Growth! Don't even question that!
And to do that, you need finance!
Line up, line up!
In banking, the minimum UK leverage ratio, which is roughly the ratio of Tier 1 capital (basically the company's own money from retained profits or share capital) divided by relevant assets on the balance sheet, such as mortgages and loans, is a lot lower than you might think.

(click to show/hide)

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

felstedrider

« Reply #528 on: 16 January, 2023, 09:49:23 am »
Given this thread was originally about Peoples Energy I give you the following :-

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11635077/Peoples-Energy-couple-blasted-50m-bonanza.html

Yes, I know I said no suppliers made money but this is a bit of an anomoly but I can see how they did it.   Ofgem have closed this loophole since this happened.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #529 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:05:55 am »
Pike is setting up a new business called Ethibuy.
People's Energy... Ethibuy. I spot a pattern!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #530 on: 16 January, 2023, 01:44:28 pm »
Given this thread was originally about Peoples Energy I give you the following :-

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11635077/Peoples-Energy-couple-blasted-50m-bonanza.html

Yes, I know I said no suppliers made money but this is a bit of an anomoly but I can see how they did it.   Ofgem have closed this loophole since this happened.
Funny to read the comments and see Daily Heil readers blaming the Tories and capitalism.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

felstedrider

« Reply #531 on: 16 January, 2023, 02:16:00 pm »

Funny to read the comments and see Daily Heil readers blaming the Tories and capitalism.

Oh you made me go and read them.   The horror....

OK, here's an example :-

"Centrica just announced they will make record profits because of the cheap gas . Shame they didn't pass the prices onto the consumers. Suspect they've made more than the people's energy couple"

and here's the announcement :-

"British Gas owner Centrica will hand £250m to shareholders in a new buyback scheme, as high wholesale prices put the firm on course for a six-fold increase in net profits compared to last year.

The energy giant revealed in a bullish and unexpected trading update that robust performance in its electricity generation assets alongside the gas Centrica sells from its North Sea fields meant full-year profits would be at the top end of estimates, with analysts forecasting earnings between 15.1-26p per share.

It said: “Centrica has continued to deliver strong operational performance from its balanced portfolio since its interim results in July and now expects full-year adjusted earnings per share to be towards the top end of the range of more recent sell-side analyst expectations.”"

This is the information age.   It's dead easy to do research but we'd rather spout something that's bollocks.

felstedrider

« Reply #532 on: 27 January, 2023, 09:15:41 am »
Shell are looking to sell* their residential supply business (the former First Utility Business).   Best of luck finding a buyer in these conditions.

*have appointed advisors to conduct a strategic review