Author Topic: Peoples Energy: any experiences and/or knowledge of this supplier please?  (Read 42433 times)

felstedrider

Re: Peoples Energy: any experiences and/or knowledge of this supplier please?
« Reply #300 on: 28 December, 2021, 11:05:52 am »
Corbyn had a policy of nationalisation of energy but it was phased.  It wouldn’t have got there yet so I think we’d have had the same exposure to high wholesale gas prices.  We were due a price shock anyway, but was it exacerbated by the extremely low demand of Summer 2020 ?

« Reply #301 on: 29 December, 2021, 10:55:14 am »
Polar Bear has the measure of the pile of ordure that masquerades as our current government.

. . .  but one does have to wonder how the other lot would have got on with both the energy and Covid situations . . .

Why?

It is the standard distraction tactic of a failed regime to distract with the claim that only they could have made such a shitshow and that anybody else would have made a much much worse shitshow.  There is no logic or rationale to this but rather the usual "we know what's best for you" fascist approach of the right and their acolytes.

We can take examples from around the world to see which nations and political regimes have faired better or worse but we really cannot know how those who have not been shitting on the British public for nearly 12 years with austerity, berkshit, PPE contracts, defunding the NHS, defunding education, eroding your rights, giving the wealthier tax breaks whilst taking more from the poor, using the TV licence to divide young and old and to undermine BBC neutrality, punishing students with higher fees, etc., etc., etc. could have done worse.

Such mantras are as lacking in credibility as the claims on the side of the big red bus.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #302 on: 29 December, 2021, 10:59:59 am »
The solution in this shitshow would have been a Government of National Unity.

However you have to have politicians that are there for their country, not themselves.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #303 on: 29 December, 2021, 11:10:37 am »
The solution in this shitshow would have been a Government of National Unity.

However you have to have politicians that are there for their country, not themselves.
^ ^ ^  This, very very much this.  ^ ^ ^

And the bizarre irony is that if The Clown had done this at the start it is likely he could have acquired the mantle of 'statesman'. Instead, we have The Swirl of Incompetence and Venality making things worse on a daily basis. And, finally, the poll ratings appear to indicate that the populace are coming to that realisation.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #304 on: 29 December, 2021, 02:25:21 pm »
Never fall into the trap of thinking that politics has anything to do with the effective government of the country.  It is about acquiring power, and then holding onto power at all costs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

felstedrider

« Reply #305 on: 05 January, 2022, 01:21:50 pm »
Together Energy on the brink of failure.   170,000 customers.

They are 50% owned by Warrington Council.  After the failures of Robin Hood Energy and Bristol Energy it amazes why local authorities believe they have a place in the energy sector.

Also Ovo just published their recent accounts which showed a £250m loss.   This was for a period before the wholesale market went mad.   There's no money in energy supply.

« Reply #306 on: 05 January, 2022, 01:46:36 pm »
So, having been bumped to British Gas (Elec only) if there any point in looking at alternatives or are they all charging new customers at the capped rate?
I did get a rebate for being in credit, which was nice, but it's unlikely to cover the increase for very long.

felstedrider

« Reply #307 on: 05 January, 2022, 01:54:07 pm »
So, having been bumped to British Gas (Elec only) if there any point in looking at alternatives or are they all charging new customers at the capped rate?
I did get a rebate for being in credit, which was nice, but it's unlikely to cover the increase for very long.

Everyone is pricing at the cap so not point looking around.   The cap is due to go up again 1 April but the level has not yet been sent.

There are signs of some downward pressure in the wholesale market so we might start to see some decent fixed price offers going into the Summer.

« Reply #308 on: 05 January, 2022, 03:08:57 pm »

Everyone is pricing at the cap so not point looking around.   The cap is due to go up again 1 April but the level has not yet been sent.

Cheers, saves me wasting time shopping around. I'll have another look in the summer.

felstedrider

« Reply #309 on: 06 January, 2022, 08:17:22 pm »
My old fix rolled off yesterday.  I have avoided some of the immediate pain of going onto the capped tariff by signing a 3yr fix that pushes some sort of the pain into years 2&3.

My energy monitor shows my costs have doubled today.   It is a high consumption day as it’s a bit chilly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #310 on: 06 January, 2022, 08:59:55 pm »
Read the meters today.  Took a Several of goes to submit the electrickery one as it turns out that using -30,000 wossnames of voles & ants in six months upsets EDF's Babbage-Engine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

felstedrider

« Reply #311 on: 06 January, 2022, 09:29:55 pm »
Read the meters today.  Took a Several of goes to submit the electrickery one as it turns out that using -30,000 wossnames of voles & ants in six months upsets EDF's Babbage-Engine.

Average Uk consumption is 3,000kWh per annum.  I’m not surprised it broke their validation rules.  This stems from the stories making into the press about Grannies getting bills for £10,000.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #312 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:59:19 pm »
No, no, I gave them 30,000 thingies, which is pretty good going considering the size of the solar panels which in my case I have not got.  Or, more prosaically, I typed a “3” instead of a “6”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #313 on: 07 January, 2022, 07:49:47 am »
My old fix rolled off yesterday.  I have avoided some of the immediate pain of going onto the capped tariff by signing a 3yr fix that pushes some sort of the pain into years 2&3.

My energy monitor shows my costs have doubled today.   It is a high consumption day as it’s a bit chilly.

Do you trust the energy monitor?   

- ours (Smart Meters installed by Western Power for British Gas in July 2021) frequently show the gas consumption at a rate of £35,000.00 per hour (yes 35 THOUSAND quid) - and then zero when the boiler is clearly working at full bore!    Electric seems vaguely accurate blipping back and forth when heavy use items are in use.

felstedrider

« Reply #314 on: 07 January, 2022, 08:51:14 am »

- ours (Smart Meters installed by Western Power for British Gas in July 2021) frequently show the gas consumption at a rate of £35,000.00 per hour (yes 35 THOUSAND quid) - and then zero when the boiler is clearly working at full bore!    Electric seems vaguely accurate blipping back and forth when heavy use items are in use.

Up until yesterday the numbers always seemed reasonable apart from the occasional blip in connectivity.   I am starting to think that the cost is overstated.   I am not completely sure how the energy monitor gets hold of the tariff so there's a chance that it knew my fixed rate finished on the 5th so has just assumed a default rate.   I need to have a play with the menu and see.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #315 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:52:52 am »

Up until yesterday the numbers always seemed reasonable apart from the occasional blip in connectivity.   I am starting to think that the cost is overstated.   I am not completely sure how the energy monitor gets hold of the tariff so there's a chance that it knew my fixed rate finished on the 5th so has just assumed a default rate.   I need to have a play with the menu and see.

We changed tariff just before Christmas (taking a put on a BG fixed) and the monitor seems to be showing the correct unit price details for both fuels and standing charges - and meter reads I recorded and those online that BG had at the end of Dec were within a gnat's crochet of each other.

« Reply #316 on: 08 January, 2022, 04:39:40 pm »

When did you get your credit rebate?
I was with Peoples and got moved to BG but no sign of my credit being returned to me yet.

felstedrider

« Reply #317 on: 08 January, 2022, 05:41:35 pm »

I was with Peoples and got moved to BG but no sign of my credit being returned to me yet.

Similar here.  Mum was with Zebra and I can see the credit but it hasn’t moved over.  BGs website is terrible and there is no ‘contact us’ page.  There is a section on the site that has a link to an info page for customers of each of the failed suppliers they have taken on.

« Reply #318 on: 08 January, 2022, 05:56:08 pm »

I was with Neon Reef rather than PE and I've received notification rather than cash, about a month after then went bust.  I'm not fussed about whether I get cash or credit, it's about £80, covered by the DD guarantee and it's going to get spent on electricity anyway. 

« Reply #319 on: 30 January, 2022, 12:04:42 pm »
Were with Pure, moved to Shell, minor price hike of £30 a month.  As it’s Shell, looked to move to good energy or green energy, only green energy offered us a quote, at £200 more a month than we pay with Shell.
I don’t understand, if it’s a green tariff it should be less effected by the volatility in gas prices, not more.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #320 on: 30 January, 2022, 02:07:11 pm »
I had an emailed electricity statement yesterday. ( E.On). It stated that as there had been no reading recently they had “ estimated “ my bill. This led me into a maze of logging into my account. I read the meter and entered the reading. Only then did I notice that I could view previous readings - and they had collected one two days before!
Now I was “ captured “ in the process I had to review/ renew my account. Same account basis; more money of course.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #321 on: 01 February, 2022, 09:52:27 pm »
Tripped across this article on the Guardian earlier, had the devil's own job trying to find it again to post here.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/01/new-super-tax-to-deter-energy-firm-owners-from-gas-profiteering
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

felstedrider

« Reply #322 on: 01 February, 2022, 10:11:42 pm »
Were with Pure, moved to Shell, minor price hike of £30 a month.  As it’s Shell, looked to move to good energy or green energy, only green energy offered us a quote, at £200 more a month than we pay with Shell.
I don’t understand, if it’s a green tariff it should be less effected by the volatility in gas prices, not more.

Their tariff is set using the wholesale electricity price.  50% of our power is generated from gas so the gas price sets the power price.  Green power trades at a premium to the ‘brown’ wholesale price.

felstedrider

« Reply #323 on: 01 February, 2022, 10:15:16 pm »
Tripped across this article on the Guardian earlier, had the devil's own job trying to find it again to post here.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/01/new-super-tax-to-deter-energy-firm-owners-from-gas-profiteering

There was a point during the Winter where there was more money to be made unwinding hedges than continuing to supply customers.  At least a couple of people took advantage of this.  Under industry standard agreements this is settled out through a mark-to-market calculation, but there is no requirement to pass that back to the consumer.  Ofgem have never been particularly good with wholesale markets, preferring to concentrate on the consumer but this is quite a big hole.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #324 on: 03 February, 2022, 07:34:02 am »
Eon are offering me a new one year fix for 40% a month more than the current default tariff, so you can see where prices are going (I won't take the fix as I want another couple of months on the current price cap, then the heating is barely used due to warmer weather!).

What's unforgivable is that the daily standing charges have almost doubled and will be a huge percentage of the bill.  How can they justify that?  It's unrelated to the wholesale gas price.  And what supplier has the lowest standing charge?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.