Author Topic: Cargo trailers?  (Read 1960 times)

Cargo trailers?
« on: 18 August, 2021, 08:00:03 am »
The time has come to look at getting a bike cargo trailer.  Panniers are OK, but limited for larger loads.  So for use in the locality, on road, moving shopping /other items.  What do people use?  Two wheels best?  Hitch types?

There seems to be quite a range on fleabay, but have no idea about quality/longevity, or availability of parts...
"Perhaps we cannot raise the winds. But each of us can put up the sail, so that when the wind comes we can catch it." EF.S

Re: Cargo trailers?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2021, 08:36:17 am »
I use trailers a few times a week. Because they are often used for allotment work, they are old robust and I don’t mind them getting mucky.
Mine are homebuilt or adapted from commercial ones. I have gone to releasable ball joints for a hitch system as they make life easier than commercial ones - quick to unhitch and work better.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2021, 08:53:17 am »

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2021, 09:00:24 am »
Thanks both. 
"Perhaps we cannot raise the winds. But each of us can put up the sail, so that when the wind comes we can catch it." EF.S

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2021, 06:36:38 pm »
I bought a Carry Freedom from a member of this parish a while ago.  Really useful and well made.
Advena ego sum in Terra

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
    • Bailey
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2021, 06:40:53 pm »
I have tried single wheel and double wheel trailers. The single wheel models handled well when hitched to the bike and so would be a good choice for longer distance rides, but the double wheel model was easier to hitch and to load and is my preference for rides of 10 miles and less.I was surprised how inconvenient I found trailer storage when i borrowed a trailer from a friend and so I eventually bought myself a model that folds flat for storage.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2021, 02:54:49 pm »
I bought a Carry Freedom from a member of this parish a while ago.  Really useful and well made.

Carry Freedom's lollipop hitch is the best. I've replaced all the hitches on my trailers - I have three of various sizes and configurations - with them.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.