Author Topic: Foreign Travel  (Read 7287 times)

Foreign Travel
« on: 10 September, 2021, 03:09:42 pm »
We were due to fly out to Tenerife next month for a 10-day holiday, but have just found out just how much paperwork and other things we will both need to do before going even though we are both double vaccinated.  And then again before we return.  If either of us test positive while we are there (Coronavirus figures in Tenerife are quite high at the moment) we will both have to quarantine for 10-days before being allowed through the airport.

We are now considering cancelling the holiday even though we will lose all of the money paid.  It could potentially work out cheaper in the long-term!!!

Has anyone else had similar problems?

If I hadnt renewed my passport earlier this year, I dont think I would have bothered to renew it now.  My wife's passport is up later next year and she is not going to bother to renew it as she thinks that foreign travel will be problematic for many more years yet.

Re: Foreign Travel
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2021, 03:39:30 pm »
We were due to fly out to Tenerife next month for a 10-day holiday, but have just found out just how much paperwork and other things we will both need to do before going even though we are both double vaccinated.  And then again before we return.  If either of us test positive while we are there (Coronavirus figures in Tenerife are quite high at the moment) we will both have to quarantine for 10-days before being allowed through the airport.
Could you not have foreseen that, given everything that's been in the public domain in recent months?

My wife's passport is up later next year and she is not going to bother to renew it as she thinks that foreign travel will be problematic for many more years yet.
Very sensible.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2021, 04:14:38 pm »
The holiday was originally booked at the beginning of 2020 before Covid had really had any effect on the UK.  The travel agent then offered us a "good deal" for later that year and then again for earlier this year if we both agreed not to "cancel" and now we have this to deal with.

I wish we had both just cancelled last year.

I wonder how this will all affect PBP even though it is still 2-years away.

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2021, 07:08:28 pm »

If I hadn't renewed my passport earlier this year, I dont think I would have bothered to renew it now.  My wife's passport is up later next year and she is not going to bother to renew it as she thinks that foreign travel will be problematic for many more years yet.

I agree about foreign travel but consider the future use of passports for ID even at home.

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2021, 07:22:56 pm »
I can only speak for doing France-UK and return (since I start in France) this august. I have never been so stressed doing a cross-channel trip, all of that beforehand. The rule changes happened in my favour, but only after I'd booked the tests. All the stress and hassle was from the UK side, the trip went really easily apart from that. After that no-one looked at my Traveller Locator form, I didn't have a net connection on the phone to download Test&Trace so I didn't and no-one bothered to ask. Coming back into France the passport people didn't even want to see my Attestation sur l'Honneur. Oh and the wait for PCR test results done privately would never be acceptable over here!

If you really want to go on holiday, get on and do it. If you're worried about catching the virus, take sensible precautions to cut the risk without spoiling your holiday too much. If the riisk really flips you then it won't be a holiday and you'll have to cancel but there's a way to go before that really becomes necessary - just take precautions

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:47:50 pm »
Booked trip to Norway for May, it’s a cheapo. Then in June, cycle tour in the Alps carried over from 2021 after being booked for 2020.   All in the lap of the gods..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2021, 10:44:04 pm »
We went to Madeira in July. It was a doddle. Double vaccinated and NhS app shows vaccine passport certificate.
Fp3 mask for flight as best quality used in ICU standard.
Madeira was safer than U.K. in many ways. More masks, hotel staff wearing masks.
Return lateral flow test was free courtesy of Madeira government.  Never got a result fo day 2 PCR test!!

We are going to Tenerife in October. We are in a flat. We will wear a mask in the supermarket and eat at outside tables in restaurants. Less risk than in the U.K. again.

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:21:44 am »
Agree it's stressful getting through the airports, but worth it if you want to get abroad, which itself can be very good for your mental health.

A few tips

The airport staff are likely to check your paperwork both ways, and they have the power to stop you boarding so get everything ready. On the way out, it's just the vaccination barcode, either on a phone or on paper. Not the card. On the way back you need results of an antigen test, a locator form, and the code for your day 2 PCR test. The checkin staff may ask to see the invoice from the PCR test even though the number is in the locator form. Also one thing that caught me out was the rules say the antigen test must be "in any of the three days before the day of the flight", but the checkin staff refused to accept one that was 72.5 hours before but within the clear rules and made me get another one.

You can buy a self-administered antigen test in the UK to take with you, that you then do over video link and they send you a fit to fly certificate. This is less stressful than finding a test centre if there isn't one at the airport, but more expensive.

Don't worry too much about the horror stories about test providers for the day 2 test, just go for the cheapest. It's a paper exercise - they phone and ask for your result, and if you say "it's not arrived yet", that's fine, the box is ticked. The company I bought my previous tests from were exposed as dumping the samples and giving people a negative result or nothing. Test and trace didn't care (and in the end I got the money back!)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:26:52 am »
To add...

There is a very small risk you might pick up covid while you're there. As per the FCO site, you do need to be prepared for the fact you might not be able to come back on your booked flight. As chrisb says the risk is low assuming you're being sensible and not going clubbing, hugging random strangers, etc. If you absolutely cannot afford an extra 10 days' accommodation + flight, don't go. On the other hand if you're quarantining and you're employed you'll be on sick leave wherever you are, there are worse places to be isolating.

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:28:42 am »
Just got back from Corfu.
No test required to go, only proof of jabs (NHS app) and a Greek PLF.
€20 test for return flight and UK PLF
Day 2 test on return
No quarantine

Edit: I got our Day 2 test from Expert Medical, @ £28 ea they were by far the cheapest. I ordered them while in Corfu a week before returning, and they arrived on the day we needed to take them. I was a little concerned, and no replies from their email, live chat or phone didn't help, but we got them in time

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2021, 01:37:09 pm »
We are planning a trip to Austria so my husband can see his parents in person for the first time since September 2019. We've added to the fun by deciding to go by train. It does look like the most stressful bit will be getting back into the UK.
You can (and we have) buy insurance that will cover you for accommodation etc if you do get COVID and can't come home (and some other COVID related things, but NOT for the travel advice changing between you booking your trip and you travelling).

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:06:09 pm »
Trying to decide whether to go to Italy next week. is the hassle worth it or has lockdown just shrunk my horizons.
Further question on top of PCR related ones - has anyone had issues bringing their expensive bike back into UK out Brexit - presumably it's my bike I took it out and am now bringing it back remains the case without additional paperwork ???
Old fat and slow

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2021, 06:08:04 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg did a trip to Germany to see her folks by car last month and reported no major hassles, though they elected to keep the number of border crossings to a minimum by sticking to France all the way to the Rhine instead of going through Belgium, which is shorter and doesn’t involve getting through/round/under Frankfurt.

They are, however, not planning on visiting Mr von Brandenburg's mum in Finland any time soon…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2021, 02:02:37 pm »

If I hadn't renewed my passport earlier this year, I dont think I would have bothered to renew it now.  My wife's passport is up later next year and she is not going to bother to renew it as she thinks that foreign travel will be problematic for many more years yet.

I agree about foreign travel but consider the future use of passports for ID even at home.

Given how long it takes to get a passport. Have one ready. Just in case. You never know when you might need one.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2021, 02:15:37 pm »
Oh wow. Due to fly to the UK tomorrow. Had a test (negative) yesterday, supposed to download a certificate from the government website and it doesn't work. Phoned them and they are "aware of the problem" and lots of other people have been phoning them. Let's hope the jobsworths at the airport accept the print out from the clinic as there's no test facility at the airport. Currently a little stressed  >:(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:56:31 pm »
Professor Larrington is supposed to be at some international Old Norse beano in Reykjavik ATM but it got cancelled at fairly short notice.  “You could come anyway!” they said.  She looked at the cost and hassle of getting all the tests and paperwork required.  No thanks, Iceland.  Try again next year, eh?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:04:18 am »
Trying to decide whether to go to Italy next week. is the hassle worth it or has lockdown just shrunk my horizons.
Further question on top of PCR related ones - has anyone had issues bringing their expensive bike back into UK out Brexit - presumably it's my bike I took it out and am now bringing it back remains the case without additional paperwork ???

You know that it’s your bike, but how does a border official know. A friend provides race service across Europe at events including cycling. He has a Carnet for everything he brings into the U.K.
It all depends on the official of course. As a minimum I’d have some date and location stamped and witnessed photos of the bike. It might not be necessary, but you don’t want an issue.Details of the event, ideally listing you and the bike would also be handy.
I can remember the old days when one went out to race in Belgium with old worn parts on the bike, to return with shiny new Campag ( these were the days of purchase tax in the U.K.).

« Reply #17 on: 27 September, 2021, 10:39:13 am »

You know that it’s your bike, but how does a border official know. A friend provides race service across Europe at events including cycling. He has a Carnet for everything he brings into the U.K.
It all depends on the official of course. As a minimum I’d have some date and location stamped and witnessed photos of the bike. It might not be necessary, but you don’t want an issue.Details of the event, ideally listing you and the bike would also be handy.
I can remember the old days when one went out to race in Belgium with old worn parts on the bike, to return with shiny new Campag ( these were the days of purchase tax in the U.K.).
Over the years I have travelled quite a lot with a bike and I know a lot of others that do too. Going through “nothing to declare” I have never been stopped (including coming back from Italy at the weekend). It would be different if you were travelling with a van load of unaccompanied bikes in which case paperwork would definitely be required.

« Reply #18 on: 27 September, 2021, 01:08:17 pm »

Over the years I have travelled quite a lot with a bike and I know a lot of others that do too. Going through “nothing to declare” I have never been stopped (including coming back from Italy at the weekend). It would be different if you were travelling with a van load of unaccompanied bikes in which case paperwork would definitely be required.

Over the years we’ve been in the EU though.

« Reply #19 on: 27 September, 2021, 02:42:05 pm »

Over the years we’ve been in the EU though.
In a busy airport with multiple flights there will have been people (myself included) coming from non eu countries. Never have I been asked where i am returning from with the bike (or laptop, or skis for that matter) or to provide proof of export if a non eu country.

« Reply #20 on: 27 September, 2021, 03:50:16 pm »

Given how long it takes to get a passport. Have one ready. Just in case. You never know when you might need one.

J

Although if you scream at the FCDO (cybernetically speaking) that your passport is not for travel and that you need it for ID at all moments of your life, they can be surprisingly nimble. I think that mine in june last year took about 10 days but it had run out about a month beforehand and I was held up with stupid things like barbers and photographers (vain sod that I am). I was sweating a bit as I could have needed it at any moment for work and even walking the dog in the evenings! Oh the pleasures of being an assimilated foreigner!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #21 on: 30 September, 2021, 02:05:18 pm »

J

Although if you scream at the FCDO (cybernetically speaking) that your passport is not for travel and that you need it for ID at all moments of your life, they can be surprisingly nimble. I think that mine in june last year took about 10 days but it had run out about a month beforehand and I was held up with stupid things like barbers and photographers (vain sod that I am). I was sweating a bit as I could have needed it at any moment for work and even walking the dog in the evenings! Oh the pleasures of being an assimilated foreigner!

The FCDO is not responsible for passports.  They are issued by HM Passport Office, which is an executive agency of the Home Office.

There are delays in issuing passports at the moment of up to three months.  If you're going to need one in the coming months, I'd suggest applying for one sooner rather than later.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22 on: 01 October, 2021, 08:17:53 pm »

J

The FCDO is not responsible for passports.  They are issued by HM Passport Office, which is an executive agency of the Home Office.

There are delays in issuing passports at the moment of up to three months.  If you're going to need one in the coming months, I'd suggest applying for one sooner rather than later.

Checks passport, indeed issued by HMPO. Looks at preceding passport, issued by FCO. Sorry!! It's difficult moving with the times when you're a dinosaur!

« Reply #23 on: 02 October, 2021, 08:13:55 am »
The wait time for a passport depends on the money you throw at it. Pay to collect in person at one of the offices and you can get it in about 5 days. We certainly did.

« Reply #24 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:45:21 am »
I renewed mine a couple of months back and it only took a week or two with the standard service.